Kegging For 1st Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxairtime

Reaction score
hello my fellow lovers of homebrew B) After 3yrs of bottling im sick of it and have invested in a keg :D however assembly has been terrifying in fear of blowing my self up so i have a couple of questions if i may? :huh: My hbs man advised me too fill the keg, pressurize too 40 psi for 24 hours too carbanate then reduce pressure too 14psi and she'll be sweet.Does this sound right????
DURING the 24hrs carbanation is it alright too chill the keg while it carbonates?
Also my beer line is 4m and gas line is only 1.5m :eek:
Ur input on the matter will be aprieciated as i am shit scared too touch it untill i get secound opinion about the pressure.
THANX MATEYS DRINK UP

Hi mxairtime

This is straight from brewing crafts book and it works for me.

1. Turn the pressure in the keg up to 40psi/280kpa and keep it at this pressure for 48 hrs.
  2. This will provide the correct level of carbination for a typical australian beer however you will find that some beers serve and taste better with different levels of carbination. For instance english ales are better at lower keg pressure.
  3. Beer absorbs more gas when it is cold which is why you do this in the fridge.
  4. To convert psi to kpa multiply psi times 7 =kpa

Hope this helps as for the information about the length of your beer lines i have no idea if that plays a role in serving pressures or what

enjoy :rolleyes:

i also am about to be a new kegger.. in my search for c02 at bargin basment prices, i ran across the sodastream website and noticed they offer two different bulbs, a 40 and a 100..
does anyone know if they are the same threaded end, just one larger bottle than the other? looking to use these as a temp / backup process until my converted extinguisher materialises

thx

mxairtime: The keg needs to be cold first, then you can just follow mark.farrel1's instructions. Alternatively, read the Wiki's on force carbonating and balancing a draught/keg system. Actually read them anyway - too much knowledge is not a bad thing.
Guide to force carb'ing

v8r: I'm pretty sure they should be the same thread. There is plenty of sodastream info on here if you search, otherwise send them an email directly.

ive kegged a few now and found it easier to batch
prime then syphon into the keg with the remaining into some stubbies(take away)

when i force carbed i over carbed and nothing but foam
had to let it settle before i could pour again

good luck

ive kegged a few now and found it easier to batch
prime then syphon into the keg with the remaining into some stubbies(take away)

when i force carbed i over carbed and nothing but foam
had to let it settle before i could pour again

good luck

Kleiny, Did you try carbing at 40psi for only 22-25 hours? this works for me, (tried one for 48 hours once, way too much foam, and when I followed some steps to rectify it, I got a bad Co2 'bite' in the flavour/finish)

A question to the forum though, is it best to leave the pouring pressure (I use 9 psi) applied full time or vent the keg when not in use? I am finding that there is more foam towards the end of the keg (the last third of the Corny, ~2.5 weeks after starting)

Doc_D

EDIT: Typo

Id recommend storing your beer under pressure. If you dont store it under pressure the beer will be flat before you finish the keg.

About 12 - 14 psi pressure on the beer all the time and it'll be good. If it pours too fast at that pressure increase the length of your beer line.

i get my beer cold in the fridge, then apply gas at 300kpa for 45 secs. I vent of some pressure then hook up tap and try it. If its a little flat i give it another 15 secs, then i pour at 70kpa turning my gas bottle of when im not using it.

hello my fellow lovers of homebrew B) After 3yrs of bottling im sick of it and have invested in a keg :D however assembly has been terrifying in fear of blowing my self up so i have a couple of questions if i may? :huh: My hbs man advised me too fill the keg, pressurize too 40 psi for 24 hours too carbanate then reduce pressure too 14psi and she'll be sweet.Does this sound right????
DURING the 24hrs carbanation is it alright too chill the keg while it carbonates?
Also my beer line is 4m and gas line is only 1.5m :eek:
Ur input on the matter will be aprieciated as i am shit scared too touch it untill i get secound opinion about the pressure.
THANX MATEYS DRINK UP

Max,

I set my kegs up last weekend and believe me it is a piece of piss. There is an info sheet on the Grain and Grape site that warren sent me and it took me about 30 minutes in total. I pre carbonated the keg earlier in the week as per the information and connected everything up. I think the key info was to get the beer line the right length. the info told me 3.3meters for 5mm ID beer line and it was spot on. Here is a picture of the first beer out of the tap

Image001.jpg

There is also excellent info in the WIKI.

Rook

Back