Kegging Cleaning And Sterilising Fail!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would probably get more phosphoric acid into you by drinking coke instead of starsaned beer

@ 1 keg a month that's 9ml a year :icon_cheers:

Also if anyone is interested phosphoric acid is an ingredient in coca cola. I would say people with large cola habits probably consume way more than 9ml per year :)

• Water
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup / (Aspartame in Diet Coke)
  • Caramel Color
  • Phosphoric Acid
  • Natural Flavors
  • Caffeine
Its 4th on the list so there is more of it than flavours and caffeine :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_ac..._food_use\

Edit: NickJD and black_labb beat me to it :)

Also if anyone is interested phosphoric acid is an ingredient in coca cola. I would say people with large cola habits probably consume way more than 9ml per year :)

• Water
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup / (Aspartame in Diet Coke)
  • Caramel Color
  • Phosphoric Acid
  • Natural Flavors
  • Caffeine
Its 4th on the list so there is more of it than flavours and caffeine :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_ac..._food_use\

so I can sanatise my kegs and fermenters in Coke... :icon_chickcheers:

Had san star in keg that i was going to transfer CC keg too for the first time hooked up keg opened pressure relief valve and i san stared the cool keg.Was really pissed off did google searches on the harmfulness and then just went **** it its lawn food.First and last time i have tried this.Even tho its a no rinse if i have excessive foam in fermenter or keg a rinse with a little boiled water.

so I can sanatise my kegs and fermenters in Coke... :icon_chickcheers:

Seeing as the ph of Coca-Cola Classic is 2.5 and the recommended starsan ph is 3.5 you probably could!

I wouldn't though.

*snip the stupid part*

WTF........Star San is a sanitiser, no?

Personally, i would tip the gut-rot out as a ,esson to nsure I didnt do it again.

tnd

At the dilution rate there'd be in the keg, no, it's not a sanitizer. In each Pint there'd be 0.0210526 ml, much less than what's in a can of coke, or a glass of oragne juice

Phosphoric Acid is in nearly bloody every processed food/drink.

You probably know it as "E338". If you drink Coca Cola, you've had more Starsan than you think.

You would probably get more phosphoric acid into you by drinking coke instead of starsaned beer

Soft drinks are infused with phosphoric acid to add a tangy flavor. In nature, this type of flavor can be found in ginger or lemon. Inexpensive and widely available, phosphoric acid is also used in fertilizers and detergents, including industrial cleaners.
Even "food grade" thermal phosphoric acid is known to sometimes contain arsenic.

"Phosphoric acid is used in shipyards to remove rust from aircraft carriers and transport ships," explained Mike Adams, author of The Five Soft Drink Monsters, a book that teaches consumers how to beat their addiction to sugary sodas. "Consuming highly acidic substances is not only bad for your teeth but also terrible for bone health and can promote a deterioration of the jawbone, pelvis and femur.
Essentially, drinking phosphoric acid dissolves away your skeletal system," Adams said.

Hmmmm.. dissolves your skeletal system.... at least all the Starsan drinkers will have a valid excuse for having the wobbly boot on.

didnt Charlie Tallie (or some other 5 Star chemist) say he drank a glass in front of someone to prove it was harmless? at the propper ratios naturally..

Im sure I remember that from a Podcast somewhere... :unsure:

off to listen to the podcasts again..

I was a maintence fitter for Coca Cola in the Valley in my youth.
Every Friday arvo the engineer would put his dirty white overalls in a bucket of coke to soak over the weekend. On Monday, a rinse in clean water, a couple of hours in the sun, & Voila! Spotless white overalls ready for another working week. Goodbye PBW! Hello Coke! :lol:

TP

didnt Charlie Tallie (or some other 5 Star chemist) say he drank a glass in front of someone to prove it was harmless? at the propper ratios naturally..

Im sure I remember that from a Podcast somewhere... :unsure:

off to listen to the podcasts again..

I think that may have been at ANHC in Melbourne? Wasnt there, but seem to remember someone posting it? Maybe it was at some other HB convention?

Thats rule 2 in our brew house!

1. No Rookie Errors (no 'tards)
  2. Dont fear the foam
  3. Respect the yeast
  4. Respect the yeast
  5. Document it
  6. Check your temps
  7. Triple check taps are off
  8. No Wheat Beers
  9. Keep it clean
I failed to adhere to rule one though which started this thread... and yes 3 and 4 are the same

Rule 8 may be removed but we are still not sold on ALL wheat beers.

Is the phosphoric acid food grade? We aren't talking about a minor residue that would naturally occur on the surface of sanitised vessels.

And the surfactants?

tnd

If I had more than a few drops left in the keg I'll be devastated, 500ml, I'm not sure if I'll ever get over that.

Really guys your brewing to obtain a nice clean natural beer, 500ml of chemical in there? I think not.

Batz

But 500ml of Starsan mix is only 0.75mL of actual starsan.

From what I understand Starsan works by changing the ph to be too acidic for bugs. If it's further diluted by beer then I don't think that'll be a massive issue?

Is the phosphoric acid food grade? We aren't talking about a minor residue that would naturally occur on the surface of sanitised vessels.

And the surfactants?

tnd

In addition to what I posted above, I listened to the starsan podcast 'again' today, starsan was created for the dairy industry so at propper levels is food safe.

John hertzkowits (spelling) said that a fermenter half full of stan and wort would be a crazy ferment, no mention of anything to worry about,

safe as you can get.

TD have you any data on this or is this just more uninfored alarmist blather?

Many years ago while still at school we put a tooth in a glass of coke over the weekend, there was very little left of that tooth Monday morning. So OK it's in coke and some people drink it, but I don't want my beers to be on the same level as coke thanks.

Still it does sound like it will be fine to drink the beer, if your so inclined.

Batz

Back