Keg Setup Without Drilling Holes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shark

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looking at moving into the world of kegging. But the wife wont let me drill holes in the 2nd fridge (just yet).

Is there anyway that I can just run the whole system inside the fridge? Maybe use a pluto gun which just sits inside the fridge (until I can convince her I am going to butcher the fridge :beer: ).

Or maybe run the pluto gun through the seal and out the fridge???

Is the CO2 right to stay inside the fridge too?

Thanks in advance
Ben

I currently have two pluto guns sitting on top of two kegs in the fridge. Works fine for me.

Cheers SJ

My keg fridge fits 4 kegs but i only have a 3 tap font.

So the 4th keg is my bonus tap!

Its not listed on my blackboard - only i know its there.

Open the fridge door and you will find a picnic tap set up.

Cheap as chips and what i use when i take a keg to a party.

I wasn't allowed either. She got over it. in the interim, the CO2 will just take up space where a keg can be. no major issues. I now have the gas plumbed in, and the beer plumbed out to a font through the side. it's all good.

Not only can you run a system with a picnic tap or pluto gun inside the fridge, but it gives the best pour, the tap stays nice and cold compared to one outside the fridge.

I have a picnic tap within the fridge.

Currently the fridge has two kegs and a gas bottle inside, but I have a piece of checkerplate that a friend cut to size that will allow me to fit 4 kegs and a gas bottle.

It's a cheap fridge that I really can't be bothered drilling because Murphey says as soon as I do it will die of unrelated causes.

I've used these for years:

Link

They are awesome, and the best thing is you can use them for a picnic setup as well so they will always get use.

Is that like a secret level bonus round tap, or more like a harry potter platform 9 3/4 tap? :lol:

All you have to do is admit that Harry Potter would be much more entertaining if a Chewbacca ripped his head 5 seconds after the 1st movie started. :super:

Then the secret tap magically appears :party:

Not only can you run a system with a picnic tap or pluto gun inside the fridge, but it gives the best pour, the tap stays nice and cold compared to one outside the fridge.

agree, I use picnic taps exclusively. Originally it was a temporary measure untill I got something more permanant...but it gives such a great pour, I don't think I could be stuffed changing it. And because they're so cheap, I can have multiple taps with differing line lengths (already assembled) for when I want something with a different carb level....all I need to do is get the right tap and line out for the pressure I'll be using. Perfic. added bonus is that it's portable.

...But the wife wont let me drill holes in the 2nd fridge (just yet)....Maybe use a pluto gun which just sits inside the fridge (until I can convince her I am going to butcher the fridge :beer: ...

Ben,

It's quicker and easier to beg for forgiveness than what it is to get permission... just cut the hole the furker ya sook and be done with it! :ph34r:

It's what I did and it worked a treat!

Cheers

Chappo

Ben,

It's quicker and easier to beg for forgiveness than what it is to get permission... just cut the hole the furker ya sook and be done with it! :ph34r:

Cheers

Chappo

My wife still doesn't know there are holes in the fridge! As soon as things go "Down There" into the bar, she has no idea what happens. I figure I'm in a world of hurt when she finally goes down there, but its been two good years so far!

Ben,

Cheers

Chappo

and you survived the beating for not getting permission first :blink:

seriously bronco/picnic tap with the right length of line wil give you as good a pour as any tap.

I have a spare fridge for my kegs and drilled through the door for the taps.
either works but best to do whatever keeps SWMBO happy

A 6mm hole in the side of the fridge towards the back is both barely recognizable and very effective for your gas line......my money says she wont even notice. Why cool the CO2 and waste valuable keg space?

A tap on the front however.......

get a 2nd hand fridge...or a free one, they are floating about.

Then drill some holes in it...simple.

But the bronco tap and no hole drilling would be the quickest and cheapest option.

Gday shark opening the fridge constantly will cause the fridge to run more often so you have to way up will she nag more about the hole in fridge or the power bill. Cheers

I used Bronco taps for ages and they are awesome, still do for the Special Kegs, but now have 2 Taps installed on my fridge... :D

All I could say is that Broncos may be cheaper but the Cost of Electricity by having to open your fridge door all the time for a beer could be alot more??? :unsure:

Im waiting for my next power bill to see how much less electricity I have used since installing the taps, once I put new seals on the fridge, I had saved $75 each quarter year for 2 quarters so far...

:icon_cheers: CB

Thanks everyone for the invaluable help. Some great info here.

Is it possible to put a small hole in the "seal" between the magnet section at the door? And then run the gas line through here?

Would have to be near the hinge so it doesn't rip the tube out when opening the door? This would save drilling a hole in the side for the gas.

Hope that makes sense.

Ben

Back