keg maturation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemeamash

Reaction score
All
Just wanting to know how much the beer will continue to mature once it is kegged. Had to keg early due to poor sealing fermenter, not in a hurry to drink. Thoughts???

givemeamash said:
All
Just wanting to know how much the beer will continue to mature once it is kegged. Had to keg early due to poor sealing fermenter, not in a hurry to drink. Thoughts???
what exactly is a poor sealing fermenter, unless it's open as in no lid there little draft all is good IMO

I'll put the flame suit on but for ales i reckon the longer the better!

in the keg chilled or just t room temp. The ferm was meant to be a no chill cube but it kept sucking air so I had to ferment in the jerry as usual vessel was full.

What was the problem with leaving it to finish in the cube ?
In the keg cold would be my preference over room temp unless of course you are carbonating naturally.

I think the question you're asking here is, will the beer age in a keg the same as it ages in a cube? The answer is, yes, assuming they're both at the same temperature.

so the best option would be to keep it at fermentation temp over fridge/crash chill temp. Also would carbonating it halt any further maturation or not?? (just curious about the carb question)

If you're talking say a hoppy...full of hop flavour type beer...then you are going to want to drink it sooner rather than later if youre kegging as your hop flavour and aroma will fade as time goes on. Fully agree with the later is better rule though if youre talking a more malt driven ale

Back