KEG LEAK HELP

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bald Head Brewery

Reaction score
Evening all,

My wife purchased a 2nd hand keg system for me. I have since purchased a new keg for it and have enjoyed my first beer from this. I am just about to put down my second brew into the 2nd hand keg. I have just filled with water to test for leaks, well leaks is an understatement.

It's leaking from the lid seal and the liquid out valve as well, this was not under pressure just tilted the thing. I have replaced the lids o-ring and the out post are all new. Is it time to replace this keg or purchase new lid and parts to replace the out valve? Just take to local store to get it looked at.

Any help would be ace

Regards

BHB

Some keg lube will help the silicone/rubber seals get comfortable and just blocks the leaks when used in more a more generous application.

Try with pressure added , mine will leak with no pressure applied . A decent smear of keg lube aswell should help .

Pressurise and spray with some starsan to see if still leaking

Yeah, I'd try a new lid. Might be a little bent. Check the rim of the keg to see if you can feel any bends or burs.
Are the post still leaking with new seals?

Most of my second hand kegs leak at the lid unless they are pressurised. Try shooting it with 25psi quickly and then retry.

Firstly, you have an awesome wife.

Secondly as mentioned above try a bit of pressure/lube and try some plumbing tape or liquid thread sealer on the out post thread.

I replace all O rings for a second hand keg. sometimes the posts and poppits as well if they are some of those strange old types. Found sometimes the threads are short and you need to double up the O rings on the gas and beer shafts. Two O rings on each shaft to space it out to seal properly. Hope that makes sense...
\

I replace all O rings for a second hand keg. sometimes the posts and poppits as well if they are some of those strange old types. Found sometimes the threads are short and you need to double up the O rings on the gas and beer shafts. Two O rings on each shaft to space it out to seal properly. Hope that makes sense...
\

Yep one of my kegs I have to use two o rings aswell

Many possibilities as suggested above but you really can’t tell (as also suggested above) without pressure.

The was rooted. Crack in the top of the bloody thing. New one purchased and filed already.

Bald Head Brewery. Is that, that real chopper read Avatar twat?
Please enplane that avatar if you don't mind. I'm out of date.

And apparently I filed the keg not filled it. Straight under the this Saturday night file.

Latest posts

Back