Keg Install

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dane

Reaction score
Well guys I am halfway through the keg install.

The fridge is all drilled out and the taps are sitting nicely in the fridge door.

I'm just stopping for a bit of lunch now but should finish it all later on today.

I will post pics when it is all done.

Update: I didn;t get a chance to take some pics last night (went out) but everything is pretty much done. Just pressure tested everything (with some water in a a keg) and all seems OK.

I just need to pick up some 4mm - 6mm converters from Craig today, as well as some more clamps (just to make sure).

I will take some pics when I get home and will also be kegging my Little Creatures. Can't wait.

Ok I got around to taking some pics :D

DSCF0001.JPG

Inside the fridge - only hooked up one keg ATM

DSCF0004.JPG

And finally the 'long shot'.

Thanks to GMk for all the help and can't wait until tommorow to test the new setup. It is a LCPA in the keg atm.

DSCF0006.JPG

Yeah I was having 'bottling blues' and was putting off brews cause of the time involved in bottling. Know it is just so easy!!! Can't wait. I'm pretty stoked how it looks as well :D

I still haven't put the Stainless steel drop tray on - as you can see (it's on top of the fridge atm) it is actually wider than the fridge and initially didn;t think I would go ahead and put it on. But after testing it out I think it will look fine. I have some time tommorow so I should be able to get that on and have a beer once I'm done.

Linz

Very nice, especially the turned taps.

I see you made good use of the beer mat.
Also, you mounted the valve on the wall....?
Have you connected the brass "T" on the outside to the liquid disconect to gas and burp the kegs outside the fridge...i dont see it in your photos.

Tommorrow, you should get a photo of the misses pouring your first kegged beer, and then one of you drinking it.

It goes without saying that you post them. :D

onya fiscus
ive got my tap from gmk kranking and its great.gotta order another one soon.
hey jaz it may be a few beers between saving the bucks but if you can go the kegs its great.ive been doing it for years now and have finally got a tap(thanks ken)that looks the part.

cheers
big d

GMK said:
Also, you mounted the valve on the wall....?
Have you connected the brass "T" on the outside to the liquid disconect to gas and burp the kegs outside the fridge...i dont see it in your photos.
GMK,

Here is a closeup of the T-Piece and the disconect.

Is this the way it is meant to be setup? As far as I can see everything is working ok.

I used those little clips you gave me and put the valve on the wall. Firstly, I didn't want to chop the fridge up much - as you can see it is still a fairly normal and newish fridge. And it was better to have it out of the way a bit so the Co2 could be in the corner.

I will have to get Tan down to get some icy glasses ready for the first session. I have a mater comming back from being overseas for 6 months on thursday so I'm sure it is going to get a bit of a work out.

DSCF0008.JPG

And here are the next two brews eagerly awaiting to be kegged.

On the right I have the MSB TWO-ROW LAGER - will keg him tomorrow.

On on the left is GMK's Munich Helles that I started tonight. Looking forward to that one.

Just a question regarding the kegging setup. ATM there i just one keg in there carbinating. Does putting another keg on now affect anything? Like if I just hook another keg up, burp and then leave it will that be ok? Is the pressure is uniform?

How do others deal with dual kegs? Do you have to take one off while you C02 another? Once a keg is carbinated, cab it just sit there sealed and you can hook it up at any time to pour a beer?

Hi Fiscus,

You have the T piece on the wrong side of the gate/ball valve.
The idea behind the valve is so that you can shut the gas off to fidge. This allows you to up the reg pressure to gassing 200 -280kpa. Once the keg is rocked and then left overnight, you disconect the gassing keg - return reg to pouring pressure - 60- 80kpa, and open valve to allow gas back into the fridge kegs.

The gas presure inside the fridge will be constant between the 2 kegs - due to the common line and T piece.

Did you use the Munich Lager Yeast for the Munich Helles ?
Once the keg is carbonated - leave at the gassing presure - ie dont relase any pressure - and store/lager until you have space in your fridge/empty one of the kegs.

Should/ will keep virtually indefinately. It is recommended to keep it at a constant temp though.

I hope this helps. Happy KEGGING!

Hmmm ok - doesn't the keg have to be gassed cold - ie. in the fridge otherwise it wont absorb the C02?

That was the way I got the valve from you, so am I right in thinking that I can switch the Reg/Co2 line with the line going into the fridge around (the valve will have to be turned the other way) then that is correct?

So basically, once things are moving along, I can have a keg in the fridge that I have been using - and it has the pouring pressure on it. I want to add another keg, so I flick the valve switch, so the pouring pressure is kept in the fridge and then I can put the 'to be carbinated' keg onto the outside liquid disconect and then bring the pressure up to 280kpa. After two days, I can take that keg out, and flick the switch and that allows the pouring pressure back into the keg?

Yeah I used the Munich Lager Yeast for the helles - and I just had a quick check and she is starting to bubble (very slowly atm) but I'm sure will pick up throughout the day.

DSCF0008edit.jpg

Yep that is right..

It goes regulator to T piece to valve to fridge.
The other outlet from the T piece goes to the liquid disconect for burping and gassing.

Once that is done you will be a HAPPY KEGGER!

Ok I will change that over now :) :D

What about the carbinating the keg outside the fridge at room temp - will that still carbinate? I read the Country Brewer Kegging Guide to get a bit of an overview and it says that beer wont absorb C02 unless in the fridge?

fiscus said:
Ok I will change that over now :) :D

What about the carbinating the keg outside the fridge at room temp - will that still carbinate? I read the Country Brewer Kegging Guide to get a bit of an overview and it says that beer wont absorb C02 unless in the fridge?
OK,

I think what the Country Brewer is aying is B@##$%^T. Flame suit on.

CO2 is absorbed into liquid better if the beer is cold.
To compensate for the keg temp not being fridge temp - not that it matters much in canberra when we get down to -4 at night - this is what I do:
Gas the keg at a higher pressure say 300kpa to compensate for the higher temp and therefore lower carbonation rate.
Rock the keg for five minutes to increase carbonation.
Also, as we are gassing thru the liquid disconect - we get better absorbtion as the gas has to bubble thru the liquid.

Hope this helps.

Sounds good to me. Anyone do this is Sydney and can report their findings?

Can also gas it on the outside and then when I put it in to the fridge give it a bit of C02 overnight or something - I'll test it out.

Changing my setup now and then I will Keg the MSB lager.

Thanks GMK

Back