Keg hopping woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Kegged a Fat yak clone tonight and tried to hop the keg with 20 grams of NS in a hop sock. I tied it up with some fishing line but the gas kept leaking past where the line passed over the seal. I then tried running the line under the seal between the lid and the seal but still no luck so had to throw the bag in there loose.

I hope it doesn't clog the pick up tube or start to become too over the top and I am then unable to remove the hop sock.

Shit happens I guess.

Florian said:
Try dental floss next time, works for me.
+1 - unflavoured dental floss/ribbon works a treat. If you're careful with how you store it, you technically shouldn't even need to sanitise it!

I throw hop bags into the keg often. Never had one block it.

Damn it I never thought of dental floss. I was looking for some thin cotton but didnt have any but I do have dental floss.

Oh well I know for next time at least. Thanks gents.

Great idea. I have tried fishing line and couldn't get a seal. Ended up leaving the bag in there but would be nice to be able to pull it out.

i bag and let float. never blocked a keg that way. bits of raspberry in the poppet yes, hop chunks no.

I use one of these if I decide to keg hop....

But that said, I only use flowers for keg hopping - never had a blockage or issue of shit pouring through.

2c.

I keg hopped my first keg the other week, the little party keg.. blocked.. in a cut off stocking leg.. glad to know it's not common

The dip tube doesnt go all the way to the bottom so may have something to do with it..

nice link to the screens too, will have to get 4-6 of them.

:icon_cheers:

I gave up keg hopping. Only hops I was happy leaving in there was Citra, all the others I tried started to make the beer less good after a few days. Some (Galaxy you cnut!) just flat out destroyed a great beer.

Now I put the hop swag (20cm starsan-soaked swiss voile circle tied with starsaned string) in either primary or seconday for around 2 days - I haven't found a dry hop that still had (good) flavour to impart to the beer after 48 hours.

Is there anywhere you can still buy Swiss Voile brewing bags? Google has a bunch of comments saying it was discontinued? True or false?

slash22000 said:
Is there anywhere you can still buy Swiss Voile brewing bags? Google has a bunch of comments saying it was discontinued? True or false?
I have nylon ones Slash. Happy to send you a new one if you want to pay for the postie. 14 Cms x 25 Cms. I don't have them on the site as I generally add them on as bonus items etc.

CONNOR BREWARE said:
I have nylon ones Slash. Happy to send you a new one if you want to pay for the postie. 14 Cms x 25 Cms. I don't have them on the site as I generally add them on as bonus items etc.
That would be pretty awesome mate.

slash22000 said:
That would be pretty awesome mate.
No worries, you blokes in Darwin get stung enough with the tranny of distance as it is. Pm me the address. Probly going to get away with an envelope.

Ciro

CONNOR BREWARE said:
No worries, you blokes in Darwin get stung enough with the tranny of distance as it is.
Is that like some sort of lady boy show in Darwin????? :)

Those dip tube screens are a good idea.

Nick JD said:
I gave up keg hopping. Only hops I was happy leaving in there was Citra, all the others I tried started to make the beer less good after a few days. Some (Galaxy you cnut!) just flat out destroyed a great beer.

Now I put the hop swag (20cm starsan-soaked swiss voile circle tied with starsaned string) in either primary or seconday for around 2 days - I haven't found a dry hop that still had (good) flavour to impart to the beer after 48 hours.
Me either! Grass grass grass. At most I will try a little hop tea added to the keg. Dry hopping kegs just doesnt do it for me. Dry hop fermenter a few days before packaging is my advice.

mckenry said:
Me either! Grass grass grass. At most I will try a little hop tea added to the keg. Dry hopping kegs just doesnt do it for me. Dry hop fermenter a few days before packaging is my advice.
I dry hopped with Citra and NS on day 3 in the Fv but wanted a bit more NS in the keg. I might have to fish it out now as it might be overdone.

Latest posts

Back