Keg Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try doing it as TL suggested and rock it at the pressure you are after (say 100kpa), it will take longer but you can't overcarbonate it.

I tried this method on the weekend, I set the reg to 75kpa and rocked it until I couldn't hear gas passing through the reg (about 5 min) then put the keg in the fridge for a few hours to settle. Worked well and for a few more minutes rocking there is no risk of over carbonating and is just as fast as the other methods.

One happy kegger :chug:

Ross said:
deadly said:
Dont do it the hard way - do it the Ross way,less than a minute and works eveytime! http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=5888&hl=mazey

edit: add link
[post="73009"][/post]​

Thanks Deadly, always nice to get feedback, especially when it's positive :D
[post="73076"][/post]​

The following is from "Mastering Homebrew, The Beer Maker's Bible" by Brian Kunath

Quick Carbonation
With a little muscle and some CO2, you can carbonate homebrew
First cool your beer and transfer it into a sanitised keg. Hook the keg upto the tank and set the ges to 25psi, pull the release valve on the keg to replace the air on the surface with CO2, shake the keg for about a minute. You should hear gas groaning through the reg, this gas is being absorbed into your beer, repeat shaking two more times, or until the sound ceases. Unhook the keg, turn off the tank, and let the home brew settle for a day or two [less than a day for me]
Dispense at about 8psi.

I do this and it works for me,conect gas at 175kpa, burp keg, shake at 175kpa for 1 min, unhook gas, turn off gas, settle for a day or less, vent keg, set gas at 50-60kpa, hook up gas and away you go. Or as Brian writes,it is his method I use :) .

Ben said:
Well, it's been a long time since anyone has posted on this topic. I'm cutious to know how you went Muga - is this technique working for you?

The Ross method seemed to work really well for me 5 - 6 times, but then it all went to sh1t, and I ended up with flat or foamy beers every time. I'm obviously doing something wrong!

I've noticed that after shutting off the gas, instead of the reg pressure falling back quickly to 130'ish kpa, the high pressure side drops back to zero, and the keg side stays in the high 200's.

The only thing I've changed is the gas bottle - but surely that shouldn't change things!

Beers

Benno
[post="92698"][/post]​

Benno,

Sounds like your guage is sticking, if it's remaining in high 200's & your beers flat. Can't see any other reason why your rwesults have recently gone haywire.

I like the sound of PostModern's method - but being a bit lazy, I'd probably go high pressure for 50 seconds & then switch. Got 4 kegs to gas this evening, so will give it a go...

Cheers Ross

Ben said:
Well, it's been a long time since anyone has posted on this topic. I'm cutious to know how you went Muga - is this technique working for you?

The Ross method seemed to work really well for me 5 - 6 times, but then it all went to sh1t, and I ended up with flat or foamy beers every time. I'm obviously doing something wrong!

I've noticed that after shutting off the gas, instead of the reg pressure falling back quickly to 130'ish kpa, the high pressure side drops back to zero, and the keg side stays in the high 200's.

The only thing I've changed is the gas bottle - but surely that shouldn't change things!

Beers

Benno
[post="92698"][/post]​

Benno,

Sounds like your guage is sticking, if it's remaining in high 200's & your beers flat. Can't see any other reason why your results would have recently gone haywire.

I like the sound of PostModern's method - but being a bit lazy, I'd probably go high pressure for 50 seconds & then switch. Got 4 kegs to gas this evening, so will give it a go...

Cheers Ross

Back