Keg Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
300 for 12 hrs I suspect you could be burping for a while.
Don't worry if you get foam at first. The pressure will drop as you serve the keg

I have had beer pissing out of regulator more times than I can remember. If you let off the pressure on the reg and the gas inlet is under beer.. you get alot of beer pissing out of the reg. doesn't hurt mine...

I guess that this occurs at the point where the pressure in the keg is greater than the pressure in the gas bottle. You are probably unlucky if it does happen because it seems almost impossible. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me yet.

No thankyou Ross,I use to fluff around with( trying)balancing, and high psi for 12 hours then release and cross your fingers - too hit and miss.Now its keg getting low, carb up another a day before and its all good.Quick and efficient.

Just carbonated my FIRST EVER keg using the Ross method. I did it with a soda stream cylinder. Got a bit of beer through the reg but only a small mess.
First pour was good but a little flat so I gassed up again for another 10 sec and now good carbonation and great head. WOO-HOO!.

Thanks for the great info guys and a special thanks to GMK for all the bits and pieces to dispense the beer. Great price and great fast service.

If you'd asked me 6 months ago whether I'd have beer on tap at home I would have laughed at you but goddamn it's easy!.

Cheers!, Nick :beerbang:

Giving the ross method a try now

1. Attatched keg @ 300kpa.
2. Rolled/Rocked keg keg for 50 seconds with gas inlet at bottom.
3. Turned gas off at bottle.
4. Rocked keg for 15 seconds and gas went down to 120kpa and then went up to 155kpa and stayed at this reading.

Just waiting for the keg to settle down now before I pull the release valve, will let you know how it went in an hour or so :)

australian pilsner with honey... mmmmmmm

Beer through the reg? That is asking for trouble. Big time.

If there is an infection in that beer, every beer you keg, purge or serve from now on will have the same infection. If all your kegs are kept in the fridge very cold, this may be less evident.

Also, beer gunk may clog the regulator causing it to not function correctly.

Buy a backcheck valve. It stops beer going up the gas line. This will happen when the pressure in the keg is much greater than that in the gas line, and the beer is a bit frothy and over the small gas in dip tube. If your gas in dip tubes are long, dock them.

GMK has them. So does Brewers Discount. Good reason to buy 4 kegs and have them shipped out. These appear to only be available through the Brewers Discount shop, not via ebay sales.

POL,
I was going to say that too. Wort in the regulator is a BAD thing.
I would try and clean it out as soon as possible. Whether or not the beer was infected stuff will grow in the regulator and possible infect every beer you hit with gas.

OK, I wasn't too concerned at the time because I had read Coodgee's post about it happening all the time to him. I cleaned it out as best I could as soon as it happened but what is the best way to do this?
I have contacted GMK about the backcheck valve.

I had the same problem with a CIG reg and took it apart. It was pretty simple inside, a series of flat thin washers, a plastic disc and a spring. Cleaned everything with oneshot, let it dry a couple of days, put it back together roughly how I remembered and tried it out and it still seemed to work.

I also use "The Ross Method TM" and find it works well although "vigorous" rocking will cause some beer to get back into the gas line. I couldn't be arsed with those 12, 24, 36 hour and longer gassing periods. I need fermenter to brain in <12 hours (including cooling !!!) :beerbang:

als_world said:
I also use "The Ross Method TM" and find it works well although "vigorous" rocking will cause some beer to get back into the gas line. I couldn't be arsed with those 12, 24, 36 hour and longer gassing periods. I need fermenter to brain in <12 hours (including cooling !!!) :beerbang:
[post="73576"][/post]​

no beer goes back up the line while rocking that I've ever seen - at 300kpa the gas is only going one way...

cheers Ross

I have seen the beer go back up the gas line at 300kpa.

Not a nice sight.

als_world said:
[post="73576"][/post]​

I find that if I'm patient the beer in the keg starts tasting much better after about a months CC ing, some beers like an IPA start coming into their own in the 2nd or third month , although this months BYO has an interesting approach to IPA- Give it the tropical, in the hold of a wooden boat treatment !

I tried ross's method and it was as flat as a door.
I must have done something wrong... i'll give it another try on the next keg.

I don't know if I've already posted this, but my method is a variation of Ross's method, but it is foolproof(*).

1. Chill the kegged beer to serving temperature.
2. Attach gas hose and set reg to desired carbonation level (14-6psi almost always for me, which is also my serving pressure).
3. Rock the keg until the regulator stops hissing.
4. Rest the keg for an hour or so (optional).
5. Serve.

This method always(*) works. As the reg is set at the desired pressure, you cannot overgas. As long as your rocking exposes more surface area of the liquid, gas will continue to go into the beer, so if you hear the hiss, rock some more.

When I set up my kegs, I wanted the least fuss possible. ie, one pressure for both carbonating and serving and it turns out this is right for force carbing as well. It may take a little longer than starting at a high pressure and turning back when it's close to carbonated, but you cannot(*) overcarbonate using this method.

(*)-No guarantee in contiguous states of Australia, nor Tasmania, nor any territory or protectorate of Australia, or any country on the same planet.

^

I'll give it a try also :)
It seems to good to be true.

Well, it's been a long time since anyone has posted on this topic. I'm cutious to know how you went Muga - is this technique working for you?

The Ross method seemed to work really well for me 5 - 6 times, but then it all went to sh1t, and I ended up with flat or foamy beers every time. I'm obviously doing something wrong!

I've noticed that after shutting off the gas, instead of the reg pressure falling back quickly to 130'ish kpa, the high pressure side drops back to zero, and the keg side stays in the high 200's.

The only thing I've changed is the gas bottle - but surely that shouldn't change things!

Beers

Benno

Ben said:
I've noticed that after shutting off the gas, instead of the reg pressure falling back quickly to 130'ish kpa, the high pressure side drops back to zero, and the keg side stays in the high 200's.

If you keep rocking after turing off the gas you should see the HP side drop to zero and then the LP side should drop an stabalise at a certain pressure, if it is too low you need to put more gas in if its too high then you have overdone it. If the keg wont go below the high 200's then you are putting way too much gas in!

Try doing it as TL suggested and rock it at the pressure you are after (say 100kpa), it will take longer but you can't overcarbonate it.

I used to use forced carbonation but ended up just hooking the kegs up for a week at my system pressure (100kpa) as I can fit three kegs in the fridge so as long as I keep on top of things the wait is not an issue and I don't overcarbonate.

Kegs are good :party:

Latest posts

Back