Keeping Track Of Beers Drank?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistol

Reaction score
G'day, I'm sure some of you keep track of what beers you've tried and just wondered how you do it?

Are there any programs out there for this?

I've found som mobile aps, but I just want an online/ PC based program.

Alternativly, anyone have a good Excel set up?

thanks,

MS Word. Take a pic, add some notes. 1 beer per page, in alphabetical order.
I guess you could go on RateBeer and keep track that way too, but having them all on a local file means even without internet I can access that data.
I'd use a note pad and pen - but wife keeps pinching all th pens, and I'd loose the notepad. :)

If I don't have too many I find I can usually remember...

Thanks for the reply guys, I can't use notepad and pen as I'm blind.

I thought there'd be something out there?

Think Excel would be better than Word though.

I use this facebook app: http://beer.livingsocial.com/

Users add beers to create the database so it's as simple as searching for the beer and adding it to your tasted list. There's also scope for noting down beers you want to try.

I have had a habit of trying to badge the labels of every new beer I try. It started when I was in the US last year. Some of them are horrible to get off nicely but generally I do OK.
I don't keep notes, but do remember when I enjoy it enough to buy another.
I will probably chuck them in a photo album one of these days.

R

Originally I started off using Ratebeer.com years and years ago, and have racked up hundreds of reviews in the time, but it does get to be a bit of an effort after time, and there are hundreds more beers I've never gotten around to rating. Having said that, it's good because you score it and compare your ratings and oppinions against others.

When I travelled Europe for a couple of months in '07 and '09 I actually had a little notepad with me and would just jot down (rarely legiably) the names of beers I tried and what I thought, and often take a photo. This was ok, and I got some good notes on the beers I really liked but yeah, it gets to be a bit of a task, especially with some many "generic green bottle lagers" out there, you tend to be writing the same comments each time! But hey, it's like a treasured memory now, and I can look back through it and remember those locales, drinking that beer and the experience.

Apart from that, what I take most seriously is homebrew notes. I've been somewhat systematically formulating Word documents full of notes on every beer i've ever brewed (and I try to be honest), and every beer I get to tasting from other brewers through Caseswaps and whatnot over the years...up to 441, which is suprising.

Having said all that, I don't think its necessary to sit there and write down a bloody novel about every beer you try, just one line can do it, like "Pale gold body, persistant white head, citrus hop aroma, medium bodied, some caramel malt on palate, firm bitterness to finish".

As much as it's a whole lot easier to just write down the name of a beer and give it a score out of 10 say, in the interests of evolving your palate, I think it pays to articulate some sort of description just to get your mind considering flavours, and textures, and ultimately figuring out what it is, and how it got to be in that beer...which will eventually translate to becoming a better brewer!

Latest posts

Back