Keeping Grain.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupnupnee

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of the gurus out there can help me with a couple of questions about how well grains keep?
So far I do not have a grain mill so I pretty much order by the brew, however I'm intending on buying a mill pretty soon and so I've got some questiosn about storage.

1. How long will uncracked grain keep?
2. How well do uncracked grains keep?
3. How long should I store cracked grains?
4. What is the best way to store cracked and uncracked grain?

Ta

Tim

Just wondering if any of the gurus out there can help me with a couple of questions about how well grains keep?
So far I do not have a grain mill so I pretty much order by the brew, however I'm intending on buying a mill pretty soon and so I've got some questiosn about storage.

1. How long will uncracked grain keep?
2. How well do uncracked grains keep?
3. How long should I store cracked grains?
4. What is the best way to store cracked and uncracked grain?

Ta

Tim

Youll get about 10,000 different answers to your question! But in general grain absorbs moisture making it stale, moreso when cracked. If the cracked grain is kept in an airtight environment so no more moisture can enter the grain then the shelf life is pretty good - some big ziplock bags or a big airtight container is good. Id say that if you were to buy a big bag of malt crushed, you would use it before it went off.

Not that mine has lasted that long but im lead to believe around a year if not more.These days my grain is kept in containers in a a/c room due to the occasional rodent.

Cheers
Big D

Uncracked grain that is.For cracked grain use as reasonably quick as possible.Grumps once told me 1-2 weeks preferably.

Cheers
Big D

Uncracked base grain at my place doesn't last longer that a month or two due to brew frequency. I store base grain in large 60 litre bins in my insulated brewshed in cupboards.
Specialty grains are in smaller quantities in the pantry and laundry and I've used them up to a year or more after acquiring them myself.
I buy all my grain uncracked.

HTH,
Doc

Thanks all,

I don't see the grain lasting for too long either. It seems to be a lot cheaper to buy in bulk, but you cann't carry that saving if the grain goes off before you can use it.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back