Keep getting acetaldehyde when kegging...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you using an air-lock or gladwrap?...I found glad wrap was causing me issues with acetaldehyde when leaving beer in primary for more than 2 weeks. A 7-10 day ferment was fine, but if it sat too long post-fermentation, oxygen would premeate the glad wrap. I have now stopped using glad wrap and returned to air-locks ..no more acetaldehyde!

Change the yeast, you never know. I don't like US-05 anymore, I changed up to liquid yeast and I noticed a huge difference in the quality of my beer. I've had troubles with US-05 in the past, it's probably down to my brewing practices, but it can't hurt trying. I understand US-05 is perfectly fine and could be nothing related to your problem, but that's my view.

-SIMo.

Albainian said:
are you using an air-lock or gladwrap?...I found glad wrap was causing me issues with acetaldehyde when leaving beer in primary for more than 2 weeks. A 7-10 day ferment was fine, but if it sat too long post-fermentation, oxygen would premeate the glad wrap. I have now stopped using glad wrap and returned to air-locks ..no more acetaldehyde!
Holy crap, its about the time I got new fermenter and started using glad wrap that the issues started... Just did a Google and found a few comments like this. Getting rid of glad wrap ASAP now!

zeggie said:
Holy crap, its about the time I got new fermenter and started using glad wrap that the issues started... Just did a Google and found a few comments like this. Getting rid of glad wrap ASAP now!
Please report back once you have fermented a couple more batches. I'd like to see if you get rid of your problem by simply using a lid again.

Never use a lid, leave all beers in primary for 2-3 weeks then 2-3 weeks CC.
I keg, but dont use US-05.

hmmmm....

don't experience the same issue.

Cheers,
D80

From google it might be the pressure that causes it. The gladwrap does tend to expand like a balloon. I don't prick a hole or anything.

Will report back in a few weeks after 2 more batches.

Pressure?

Should be no need to prick a hole (defeats the purpose).

If using plastic wrap, I'd recommend using it for primary only but I wouldn't be sure it is the cause of your problems.

Anyway try the yeast change and try the lid change separately and see what makes the biggest difference.

I've known krausening to reduce acetaldehyde but was interested to hear about the campden from drsmurto.

Are you sure the Flavour in the keg is acetaldehyde? Could it be carbonic bite from newly force carbed keg?

Does it clear up after a while?
Do you force carb at serving pressure over time or high pressure over shorter time?

I used to get a sharpness with force carbed beers that only lasted a few days then dissipated. It happened when i tried to rush the carbonation.

Cheers,
D80

Albainian said:
Can attest to the problems Albainian has stated he had, many club comp nights his beers had this problem .... and now that he mentions it, you are right, have not detected acetaldehyde in your beers recently!!! Glad it worked for you!

Yeah certain its acetaldehyde. Have done fault/taint tests before. Def not carbonic bite, I'm experienced with that and the latest affected batch was bottled in PET bottles.

Sick of apple beer so next batches will be with airlocks AND liquid yeasts, if either or both fixes it I'll be happy.

Yeah I'm very interested in the outcome of this. I have what I suspect is a similar problem I'm just not sure exactly what I'm tasting.

Obviously you are holding your tongue on the wrong side of your mouth when pouring.

:ph34r:

Time to report back!

Ok. I'm starting to think it's *not* due to the gladwrap sorry guys. I'm pretty sure its my US05 yeast. It's probably been mishandled and thus I've been underpitching. I bought 10x at one time from a retailer I won't name and have been using it for brews over the last few months and pretty sure it is the cause of my acetaldehyde issues now.

Brewed a new belgian blonde with WB06, was done before the airlock post here so fermenter had gladwrap. No sign of green apples after a week in the fermenter, at kegging, nor after 2 weeks in the keg. It's great!

My other brew an american porter with US05 I mentioned in a previous post. Bottled. After a week in the bottle it had definite acetaldehyde aroma and taste.
Well after 3 more weeks today the acetaldehyde is pretty much undetectable. It's very drinkable now. Rejoice!

However my pale ale keg from 6 weeks ago in a keg, left to condition, and even taken out of the fridge and allowed to warm up is still green apple city.

So what I *think* I've learnt is that (as google shows) yeast health is the primary factor.
It seems that bottling and allowing to bottle condition warm helps reduce or eliminate the acetaldehyde.
However kegging and then carbing and placing straight into the fridge gives it no chance to clear the acetaldehyde. Taking the keg out and sitting it at room temp made no difference either. In future if I get the slightest whiff of green apple when kegging I'll just bulk prime and naturally carb the keg warm I think, just to be safe.

Think I'll just stop being lazy and start using liquid yeasts for all of my brews! I'll report back when my current brews with liquid yeast as ready, but no signs of green apple from the fermenters thus far. Regardless I've bought airlocks and will be using them as well on my fermenters just in case :) I'm going to boil the remaining US05 and use it as yeast nutrient as well!

zeggie said:
Time to report back!

Ok. I'm starting to think it's *not* due to the gladwrap sorry guys. I'm pretty sure its my US05 yeast. It's probably been mishandled and thus I've been underpitching. I bought 10x at one time from a retailer I won't name and have been using it for brews over the last few months and pretty sure it is the cause of my acetaldehyde issues now.

Brewed a new belgian blonde with WB06, was done before the airlock post here so fermenter had gladwrap. No sign of green apples after a week in the fermenter, at kegging, nor after 2 weeks in the keg. It's great!

My other brew an american porter with US05 I mentioned in a previous post. Bottled. After a week in the bottle it had definite acetaldehyde aroma and taste.
Well after 3 more weeks today the acetaldehyde is pretty much undetectable. It's very drinkable now. Rejoice!

However my pale ale keg from 6 weeks ago in a keg, left to condition, and even taken out of the fridge and allowed to warm up is still green apple city.

So what I *think* I've learnt is that (as google shows) yeast health is the primary factor.
It seems that bottling and allowing to bottle condition warm helps reduce or eliminate the acetaldehyde.
However kegging and then carbing and placing straight into the fridge gives it no chance to clear the acetaldehyde. Taking the keg out and sitting it at room temp made no difference either. In future if I get the slightest whiff of green apple when kegging I'll just bulk prime and naturally carb the keg warm I think, just to be safe.

Think I'll just stop being lazy and start using liquid yeasts for all of my brews! I'll report back when my current brews with liquid yeast as ready, but no signs of green apple from the fermenters thus far. Regardless I've bought airlocks and will be using them as well on my fermenters just in case :) I'm going to boil the remaining US05 and use it as yeast nutrient as well!
As i mentioned, you can remove acetaldehyde by adding potassium metabisulfite to the keg. It works, I've done it a few times. I do the reverse in the lab at work, add acetaldehyde to remove sulfite.

Obviously you want to prevent it from occurring in the first place but this is a quick way of fixing up an undrinkable beer.

DrSmurto said:
It won't solve your problem in regards to where the acetaldehyde is coming from but you can remove it by adding potassium metabisulfite.

Start out small, 1g in just enough hot water to dissolve it. Give the keg a gentle swirl. Taste after 24 hours. If it still has acetaldehyde repeat the dose.
Cheers for the info Smurto, I wish i knew about it with one beer i made last year! I am still unsure however if the apple flavour i got was more from my home grown hops. If you still have some of that stuff left over Dano I will drop over and drink some 'off' beers with you haha

DrSmurto said:
As i mentioned, you can remove acetaldehyde by adding potassium metabisulfite to the keg. It works, I've done it a few times. I do the reverse in the lab at work, add acetaldehyde to remove sulfite.

Obviously you want to prevent it from occurring in the first place but this is a quick way of fixing up an undrinkable beer.
Thanks for the advice. I'm cautious to add stuff to the keg, but since it's barely drinkable I'll give it a whirl!

Mikey said:
Cheers for the info Smurto, I wish i knew about it with one beer i made last year! I am still unsure however if the apple flavour i got was more from my home grown hops. If you still have some of that stuff left over Dano I will drop over and drink some 'off' beers with you haha
Yeah man still got 1 acetaldehyde vial left. Also have heaps of others. Will chat to u tomorrow about what ive got.

Latest posts

Back