Katie And Lloydie In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like thirstys idea of lambsgo.... i wouldn't mind coming down for a meet and greet, put a name to the face, or a face to the name. either way i live a stones throw from the city and lambsgo so i'd be happy with either (and work in the CBD too.)

So glad those cheap Tiger Air flights arent commuting in & out of Sydney, because Id have to meet with Katie & her beau, and I'm sure she would beat me up :D

From my little time in Melbourne, it appears that there are some very cool bars & licenced cafe's - a 'scene' that you just don't get in ol Sydney town. During a recent five hour stopover, we hired a cra, drove from Avalon Airport to the city and found a lovely little Tapas & Sangria bar to relax in, the kind of which is unknown here. Some of the other bars in the area also looked awesome, and this was on a Monday night ! Not sure of the area... Brunswick Street and intersecting roads maybe ? I dunno. There was even a cafe on our journey that has a full-blown coctail menu (of which we simply HAD to take advantage of)

my vote would go for the Royston in Richmond...have some of their fine Vic craft beer and some of their egg plant chips...then wander up Victoria st for some Vietnamese....washed down with asian beers bought from Victoria Cellars..then onto Lasgo Bar...my 2C

Thanks to Tiger's cheap air fares to Melbourne...

We are heading over on the 20th May and leaving the 24th May...

Wondering if any Melbournites are up for drink maybe on the Friday afternoon?

Cheers Katie :icon_chickcheers:

Would love to come on down but sadly I don't think I'll be able to make it. We'll see...

Not sure of the area... Brunswick Street and intersecting roads maybe ? I dunno. There was even a cafe on our journey that has a full-blown coctail menu (of which we simply HAD to take advantage of)

That would be Brunswick and Johsnton St intersection, Johsnton st is the Spanish qarters of melbourne (small, i know.)

Warning: I am not a Melbournian, so my suggestions are hardly local knowledge, more sort of Lonely Traveller.
The Royston is fine, but expensive, the Goat very nearby (see others for opening times) is spectacular beer wise. Closer to Zentrum is the Transit, very trendy, huge turnover, good beer and a few guest beers all the time. Young and Jacksons (across the intersection) is for me, a must go. They have usually Mountain Goat, some WA stuff and a history, oh yes a history. Upstairs is the famous Chloe.
Edit oh head to (south melbourne I think) to Bell's Hotel, one of the older brewpubs. Billy Bell I think has retired, but I am sure the beers are just as good (try Hells Bells)
K

Warning: I am not a Melbournian, so my suggestions are hardly local knowledge, more sort of Lonely Traveller.
The Royston is fine, but expensive, the Goat very nearby (see others for opening times) is spectacular beer wise. Closer to Zentrum is the Transit, very trendy, huge turnover, good beer and a few guest beers all the time. Young and Jacksons (across the intersection) is for me, a must go. They have usually Mountain Goat, some WA stuff and a history, oh yes a history. Upstairs is the famous Chloe.
Edit oh head to (south melbourne I think) to Bell's Hotel, one of the older brewpubs. Billy Bell I think has retired, but I am sure the beers are just as good (try Hells Bells)
K
I heard old Billy Bell sold...but yes..was at Young & Jackons last Fri...good beer selection...the guest beer selection includes some Grand Ridge...as well as Y&J's Naked ale...which is a sort of Heffeweizen..so can definatelt include Y&J's...and its in the centre of the CBD...with Transport ( can be full of tossers esp Fri night @5 ) acroos the way in Fed Square...

ery nearby (see others for opening times) is spectacular beer wise. Closer to Zentrum is the Transit, very trendy, huge turnover, good beer and a few guest beers all the time. Young and Jacksons (across the intersection) is for me, a must go. They have usually Mountain Goat, some WA stuff and a history, oh yes a history. Upstairs is the famous Chloe.

I will forever boycott the Y&J after we got booted out of the smokers bar because my mate lit up a cigar in celebration of the birth of his child.

They might have nice beer, but I have found them to be very pretentious and arrogant (just my experience)

I prefer to go across the road to the pub with no atmosphere. Some people refer to it as Transport....

Considering it is a friday you are wanting to catch up, consider 3 Ravens up in Northcote (short tram ride). They are only open on Friday arvos Linky. Never been there so don't know what it is like, but the beer is good...

That would be Brunswick and Johsnton St intersection, Johsnton st is the Spanish qarters of melbourne (small, i know.)

YES ! Johnston St def. rings a bell. That's where we must have been, corner of there & Brunswick. Very nice part of town for funky bars (although that's all I saw of Melbourne :D ) . Kicks arse over the shitty atmosphere in most Sydney bars.

Us smokers are tax payers too...rant...
:icon_offtopic:
I'm not even a smoker, hate the things. Mate was a smoker at the time, and lit a cig downstairs. Quickly got told to go upstairs to the smokers bar (where Chloe is) where mate lit up cigar. Got told we can't have cigars as the smoke affects the painting (we were other side of the room). Smart arse told us cigarette smoke was different <_< . All those extra chemicals I guess. You know, the ones that hasten cancer yet protect valuable works of art...

So the 50 or so blokes with cigs standing at the little guard rail perving on the naked fat chick were apparently doing no harm yet my mate, 15 or so metres across the room, was destroying the "Work of Art" with his one small cigar. Give me a break! I hope Chloe puts in a compo claim for cancer caused by years of passive asorption of cig smoke thru all that naked flesh and fat rolls ;)

:icon_offtopic:
I'm not even a smoker, hate the things. Mate was a smoker at the time, and lit a cig downstairs. Quickly got told to go upstairs to the smokers bar (where Chloe is) where mate lit up cigar. Got told we can't have cigars as the smoke affects the painting (we were other side of the room). Smart arse told us cigarette smoke was different <_< . All those extra chemicals I guess. You know, the ones that hasten cancer yet protect valuable works of art...

So the 50 or so blokes with cigs standing at the little guard rail perving on the naked fat chick were apparently doing no harm yet my mate, 15 or so metres across the room, was destroying the "Work of Art" with his one small cigar. Give me a break! I hope Chloe puts in a compo claim for cancer caused by years of passive asorption of cig smoke thru all that naked flesh and fat rolls ;)
lol...
I gotta go to bed...i'm half cut...had one band rehearsal and my 3rd AG...Micktober from ANHC....been a long day....yes smoking ..evil...must give the bloody things up

Considering it is a friday you are wanting to catch up, consider 3 Ravens up in Northcote (short tram ride). They are only open on Friday arvos Linky. Never been there so don't know what it is like, but the beer is good...

3Ravens is great to have a look around and sample the beers they have to offer. It's the kind of place you'd start at and then move onto somewhere else...

sap.

Friday night -

Mt Goat in Richmond - over the road from the aforementioned Royston.

Later on off to the Lambsgo for a bit of Melbourne pseudo bohemian experience - and if you are lucky a functional handpump with 3 Ravens coming out of it.

this sounds like a good night to me

K

Dr K is on the money - I personally don't like Y&Js - but they have a very good beer selection, which has been improving over the last couple of years. I would previously have suggested Transport .... but Y&Js these days has a distinctly better selection of tap beers. I counted last time I was there - 21 beers and a cider on tap and of those - only 6 or 7 were stock mega brews. At transport you are lucky to get half that variety, although their guest beers are likely to be more interesting. Bells still has good beer - but its only a good pub if you like your sports bar type atmosphere. Footy on big screens, adequate bistro food etc etc. If you do, great pub if not - well at least the beer is good.

For beer.

Goat - Royston - Lambsgo: Friday night in Richmond/Collingwood
Y&Js - Transport. Afternoons only. Both turn into vomitous crapholes on Friday and Saturday nights, especially if there is footy happening.

For less Beery but nicely "Melbourne" experiences ...

Transit lounge - same building as transport, all the way up the elevator to the top. Downstairs in Transport it can can be overflowing with drunk idiots - up in Transit, you will get a seat, there is a great river view and there is a good chance of a live jazz band

Curtin House - at 250 (ish) Swanston st contains three great venues.

Cookie. lowest level - Great beer venue and fabulous Thai food. Go in the afternoons because it gets choc full and horrible at night on friday. sat etc. Secret squirrel says. If you go there about 9:30 at night (even on Fri & Sat), maybe a bit later but not too much. You will find that the restaurant part starts to empty and the general punters remain for a while unaware, that when they have no more eating customers, the restaurant staff let you sit in there for drinks. You get a table and its not nearly as noisy. But you have to time it right. A fraction earlier if you want a table for dinner but didn't book. You get to stay for drinks.

The Toff in Town. one floor up from Cookie - Ultra swanky bar, French food with a focus on a "grazing" menu. Good beer and excellent wine list. If you are eating and you are lucky, you can get one of the train carriage style booths. If I were trying to impress a girl.. fair chance this place would be on my list of options. Other half of the venue is a live performance space, but its very separate from the eating bit and the place isn't loud.

The Rooftop Bar. All the way up to the 6th floor, then up to the roof. - Its the Rooftop bar... what can I say. Its mostly outdoors (bring a jacket) and in summer they run an outdoor cinema. Rooftops are the new laneways...

Out of Curtin house and into Burke st - #59-63 (same building as the spaghetti tree) into the door on the left and all the way to the top. Its Madame Brussels. Go on a sunny afternoon. Its as much outside as in - There is a Garden Party theme. Fake lawn, trellises, waiters in tennis costumes. Sit in the sun and drink jugs of cocktails or flutes of the excellent Cava. This place is campy, fun and nearly my favourite non beer venue. Say hello to Miss Pearls for me.

Want to do one that is so Melbourne it hurts?? OK - walk north up Swanston st to Lonsdale - turn left up Lonsdale and walk up the North side (not far) turn right up the first laneway - once in the laneway turn left into the first even smaller alley/lane on the left (sniders lane) make your way past the dumpmasters, step over any drunks or drug addicts, shoulder past the restaurant workers sitting on milk crates having a smoke. At the very end of the alley, on the right there is the faint hope of a coopers sign ... under it is a doorway, through the doorway is Sista Bella. Head upstairs. You have now arrived at the penultimate peak of Melbourne laneway cool. It would be the ultimate... but there is another place somewhere that no one can find and that nobody has heard of - thats the coolest place in town - Sista Bella was that place a few month ago. Grungy, retro, laid back and full of a mix of boho, yuppie, everyday people. Good music usually. Just settling down to the point where it isn't so new and funky that the air of self satisfied smugness from the punters at having found such a cool place, is less than overwhelming. It's a good bar no matter where it is.

Sorry - none of these places are cheap, some of them are expensive - and beer isn't cheap in the city at the best of times. Royston, Goat, Y&J and Sista Bella at the less gougey end.

I'd love to come for a drink - If I am on the right shift rotation at the time I will. Have fun anyway

TB

Well we are open to pretty much anything on the Friday, so you guys work it out and we are there... Unfortunatly we are leaving at 6.00am Sunday morning (ive never made it to St Kilda, tho we still have Saturday) due to cheap Tiger flights...and child/two dogs/cat commitments.

Kia I hope you can make it would be good to catch up again. Saturday will be left for Lloyd and I to check out the food scene of Melbourne something I have always missed out on tho I do remember vaguely eating at Melbournes first pizza house something that started with T....

And Jase Sydney (my old home town) is not of the cards so look out... Anybody that has met me would laugh as Im actually quite small... but I would give you a run for your'e money on the beer... Has Sydney really lost it's soul???? My old local was the Lord Worseley in Ultimo, you could sit out the front in the park and look at Centrepoint while drinking a Old... last time I was there must of being around 2004 it still had not being sacrificed for the yuppies....(Im actually getting a little teary here) loved that place then again loved Ultimo! Don't get me wrong I love Perth and some of the things I love about it are the things I also complain about it... We don't have the population to fill those little character places.... but then we have HUGE pubs with big wide spaces etc. Pretty much always get a seat...

Anyhow we are not pretentious people and don't need a pretentious scene just somewhere with good beer, good people... will do ...

Well we are open to pretty much anything on the Friday, so you guys work it out and we are there... Unfortunatly we are leaving at 6.00am Sunday morning (ive never made it to St Kilda, tho we still have Saturday) due to cheap Tiger flights...and child/two dogs/cat commitments.

Kia I hope you can make it would be good to catch up again. Saturday will be left for Lloyd and I to check out the food scene of Melbourne something I have always missed out on tho I do remember vaguely eating at Melbournes first pizza house something that started with T....

And Jase Sydney (my old home town) is not of the cards so look out... Anybody that has met me would laugh as Im actually quite small... but I would give you a run for your'e money on the beer... Has Sydney really lost it's soul???? My old local was the Lord Worseley in Ultimo, you could sit out the front in the park and look at Centrepoint while drinking a Old... last time I was there must of being around 2004 it still had not being sacrificed for the yuppies....(Im actually getting a little teary here) loved that place then again loved Ultimo! Don't get me wrong I love Perth and some of the things I love about it are the things I also complain about it... We don't have the population to fill those little character places.... but then we have HUGE pubs with big wide spaces etc. Pretty much always get a seat...

Anyhow we are not pretentious people and don't need a pretentious scene just somewhere with good beer, good people... will do ...
:icon_offtopic: Still up for Anzac day at Clancy's.
GB

Katie, are you sniffing glue at work again ?

We should ask Doris to lock the stationery cabinet. :rolleyes:

:icon_offtopic: Still up for Anzac day at Clancy's.
GB

I thought you were going to give me good advice on Melbourne accomodation or something and not to eat vegetarian samosas! Ha and you are thinking about your own beer consumption.

F*CK Yeah Anzac Day is still on! HOPHOG mmmmm! We are there...

And Thirsty Im not sure if you have being to Perth but looking at the menu's of some of the places in Melbourne cheaper then here. Your lucky to get a steak for under $40.00 here... And thats places that have nothing decent on tap and only Becks and Heini's in bottles. Great view and pretty people tho... Just ask Patch. In Fremantle we are actually lucky to have four very good venues that provide good beer and decent pub food!

I thought you were going to give me good advice on Melbourne accomodation or something and not to eat vegetarian samosas! Ha and you are thinking about your own beer consumption.

F*CK Yeah Anzac Day is still on! HOPHOG mmmmm! We are there...

And Thirsty Im not sure if you have being to Perth but looking at the menu's of some of the places in Melbourne cheaper then here. Your lucky to get a steak for under $40.00 here... And thats places that have nothing decent on tap and only Becks and Heini's in bottles. Great view and pretty people tho... Just ask Patch. In Fremantle we are actually lucky to have four very good venues that provide good beer and decent pub food!

Excellent - You'll love the food here then. I can't recommend a place that even serves $40 steaks. I wouldn't eat there (actually, thats a lie, I eat at La Luna occasionally and they have a $48 steak.. but it weighs 750g) Beer is expensive, food is cheap.

What sort of food do you like? - I eat out a fair bit and might be able to steer you towards something good.

Haven't been to Perth. One of these days.

Back