K-97 In A Cpa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgums500

Reaction score
Time is precious so I'd thoght I'd use up some KK gear out of the brew room. Anybody ever used Safale K-97 yeast in a pale ale before ? I've used it in wheats before and was just wondering what you end up with ?

cheers

Redgums

Tends to throw a lot of fruity esters, even at lower temps (16-18c) which linger for months when bottled. Will make beers seem sweet as it overwhelms a lot of the hop aroma and flavour.
Definitely a worthwhile yeast, but more a niche yeast for specific styles rather than an all-rounder.

What sort of styles would you suggest using it in, Chimera?

(I've got a packet in the fridge that's been there looking for a beer to be used in for good while. ;) )

I've had some bad experiences with this yeast and am also interested in what styles really work with the yeast.

I've made two brews with K97 - one wheat fermented warm, one barley fermented cool. In both cases the late additions (orange/coriander in one, saaz in the other) 'shone through' to the point of overpowering.

I've read speculation here this is a dried Kolsch yeast. Have done a bit of reading into the style and, comparing my brews, this may well be the case.

Despite what is said above, my cool fermented K97 brew displayed virtually no fruity esters. Both brews displayed a vague sulphurey character. This has dissipated in the wheat, which was brewed months ago.

I'm prepared to give this yeast one more go at some stage soon. I'll probably do an extract Kolsch, hopped only for bitterness and fermented cool. (Any recipe suggestions?) If that one doesn't come out nice, I may well just not like this yeast!

Edit: spelling

I've used K-97 a few times, mostly with wheats, although i have tried it in non-wheats; a so-so belgian and a honey ale.

Since the yeast is going to impart a lot of its own flavours, no point fighting it. I'd recommend something of a robust wheat beer, lots of bittering to balance out its natural sweetness, maybe a bit of crystal to darken the flavour.

Depends what else is in your fridge really, but if you like redback you can reproduce that quite closely with K-97.

Despite what is said above, my cool fermented K97 brew displayed virtually no fruity esters.

everybody will experience something different, but i have brewed beers that you could smell bananas from the next room at 17C

My experience is that it comes on fruity early and then fades to a dry crisp finish that strips a lot of the malt backbone away.Great for a pseudo lager made with lager/pils malt maybe.
Only thing wheaty about it is the esters in primary.
I once did a 3kg esb wheat with this yeast and found it was dry and bland after about week 8.

ferment cool, rack and let cc for a month(it takes 4ever to flocc)

it ain't no wheaty!

I have made a couple of non-wheat kit beers using K97. My experience was that it was quite estery, but muted the hops - if that makes any sense.

I think the beers were better while young, and I found the yeast to be a rapid fermenter initially, but it slowed right down and took ages to reach final gravity. Also seemed to produce tons of sediment, but this could have been due to my eagerness to bottle a bit too early.

I would not recommend it for a Pale Ale simply because of the effect I noticed on hop character, and a Pale Ale needs some hoppiness IMHO.

Back