!@#$#@$ Just Waiting For The Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdrinkingbob

milk is for babies......
Reaction score
Hi guys,

The brewing gods were not shining today, lots of issues the whole way only to realise after the wort was in the fermenter, i didn't put the sanitiser in...#$#@$! Can't help but think after the day I've had with beer today that an infection is sure to come!!

The wifey dared say it was a sign from above, are the brewing god's against me!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Cheers Robbie

Hi guys,

The brewing gods were not shining today, lots of issues the whole way only to realise after the wort was in the fermenter, i didn't put the sanitiser in...#$#@$! Can't help but think after the day I've had with beer today that an infection is sure to come!!

The wifey dared say it was a sign from above, are the brewing god's against me!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Cheers Robbie
i wouldn't write it off yet.
no sanitiser doesn't guarantee infection.

What sort of beer did you brew? I little brett could be pleasant in an ale so long as you consume the stuff before it really dominates.

What sort of beer did you brew? I little brett could be pleasant in an ale so long as you consume the stuff before it really dominates.
[/quote

It was a dark ale with a little roast and three shades of crystal. Was trying to make something like a hightail ale.

If the fermenter was clean but not sanitised the Gods might just smile on you and you will get away with it.

No point binning it just in case better wait and make sure. Probably turn out to be one of your best brews keep a positive attitude.

You are going to prove to yourself why sanitizing is so important.

hope you've got a BIG starter waiting. if it ferments out and still tastes ok you're probably fine, but if still paranoid, crash chill, keg, and don't take it out of the fridge.

i brewed kits for 3 years before i even knew what a no rinse sanitiser was. while i wont proclaim i had the best beers in the world i never had an infection, so its not guaranteed you'll get an infection. i do use starsan now religiously but only for the same reason i put on the seatbelt when i get in the car,...just in case.

matt

It's called welcome to the wonderful and sometimes colourful world of lambics.

My best brewing mistake was to make an Irish red - 6 weeks in the stainless conical fermenter (read opaque vessel) - both primary and secondary etc etc - only to find I'd left a plastic blowoff tube in there which I'd misplaced on brew day. It was like drinking beer through a garden hose. Yummy.

That's why i store my fermentors with sodium met. I wouldn't use it to sanitise with, but i throw a half teaspoon in there after rinsing the fermentor out. Can sit for weeks and nothing wants to go in there, and if you accidentally have a whiff, you damn near cough your lungs up!.

When ready to use rinse with boiling water, and hit with iodophor. My fermentor must be 5 years old and has seen easily 100 beers. The 2 or 3 infections i have had have been dodgy/mishandled/old yeast.

i brewed kits for 3 years before i even knew what a no rinse sanitiser was. while i wont proclaim i had the best beers in the world i never had an infection, so its not guaranteed you'll get an infection. i do use starsan now religiously but only for the same reason i put on the seatbelt when i get in the car,...just in case.

matt

I will admit to my story being the same as matt, but I brewed for more than 3 years (like 5 or 6) and only had 1 or 2 infections. Very lucky not to have alot more.

Sit tight Rob, it's not over yet.

Drew

Meh, if you're really worried just squirt some sanitizer in with the wort!!

Anyway, enough of the jokes, if you were able to keep everything clean before hand, I'd say you most likely will be fine. (yes I am speaking from experience) just sit tight and enjoy the ride :p

Depends on the condition of the fermenter before you added the wort too. If it was just from an old brew, you might be ok.

thanks for the encouraging words guys, I gave the wort a beer whispering this morning, told it to be be Strong!!

I had bottled a previous brew and soaked the jerry in hot water, napisan and a splash of bleach for two hours, rinsed then pored about 1.5 litres of boiling water and gave that a good splash around.

Well fingers and toes crossed, had a look through the glad wrap and the krausen looks sus but I think I'm being paranoid and it's just the spotting of the krausen which I've seen in some form with darkish beers!

:icon_offtopic:If there was a beer god, what would his name be (might help with my prayers)

Murphy's Law, it'll be the best beer you ever brewed and you wont be able to do it again

thanks for the encouraging words guys, I gave the wort a beer whispering this morning, told it to be be Strong!!

I had bottled a previous brew and soaked the jerry in hot water, napisan and a splash of bleach for two hours, rinsed then pored about 1.5 litres of boiling water and gave that a good splash around.

Well fingers and toes crossed, had a look through the glad wrap and the krausen looks sus but I think I'm being paranoid and it's just the spotting of the krausen which I've seen in some form with darkish beers!

:icon_offtopic:If there was a beer god, what would his name be (might help with my prayers)

I'd say your cleaning regime will have given you a good chance.

Although re-reading it sounds as if you are mixing chlorine bleach with napisan rather than doing that separately?

I useed to use bleach rinsed with boiling water all the time before i found this site, i never once had an infection, so its probably alright. I also never made great beer, but then one fateful day i stumbled across this site and now i don't have to get drunk before i can drink my beer ( my homebrew was an intoxication extender :) ).

Latest posts

Back