Just Answering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re poor desperate criminals, I see that and I squarely blame the Aussie - 'so what, no worries' mentality. I won't beat around ge edge of the debate, it's the aborigines that are worst affected by this. Their social structure just doesn't seem to be able to cope with them getting infected with the above mentioned attitude.
I've personally suffered, albeit mildly, at the hands of their crime.
The bleeding hearts need to realise that all or nothing has a place in some circumstances. Punishments need to be there and be uniform while they are at it.

PS: if by raising penalties you mean raising it from zero to something?! That's what they seem to get for everything, it's like they have nothing to lose by committing crime. Punishment should go hand in hand with rehabilitation, there need to be avenues for rehabilitated crooks to actually try and stay out of what sent them in last time.
Of course there needs to be punishment. Without penalty, there's no reason for anyone to do the right thing. By raising, I mean increasing the penalty from what it is currently. If by saying the penalty is currently zero, you're implying that the penalties are too low, then we're going around in circles.

Here is one for you, a guy breaks into our house (armed with a sharp object) while we are asleep, takes the wifes Mac, purse and keys to the 6 week old ford.
He is apprehended about 1500km north with four of his bros in our flogged out ford. He had 96 previous convictions, so they let him out on bail and he obviously takes off.
He is apprehend again and goes to court and found guilty.
Sentence = 20 hrs community service. What a joke ! :eek:
That just cost the tax payer thousands and the result is bloody laughable.
Nev

This is what I'm talking about. Punishments to fit the crime, especially those who are repeat offenders. It's a joke what some magistrates class as 'punishment' these days...

If those 96 previous convictions were for the same offence, then I agree, it seems lenient. A lot of factors come into play in sentencing. Personal circumstances, totality in sentencing, etc. But I don't know the full facts of that case, and I don't know anything about WA criminal law.

If those 96 previous convictions were for the same offence, then I agree, it seems lenient. A lot of factors come into play in sentencing. Personal circumstances, totality in sentencing, etc. But I don't know the full facts of that case, and I don't know anything about WA criminal law.
Pretty much. A news article at least may indicate to some of the factors at play.

The issue of re offending criminals is complicated. This is an interesting article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13345189

A dozen strokes of the Rattan doesn't cost the tax payers much and I bet the offender would remember it. It works in Singapore and Malaysia, oh the out cry of the do gooders hey?

Repeat offender 96 times, I think not.

Batz

Batz you'd start at school if you wanted to go that route.

I'm all for some level of increased sentencing, and repeat offended should be dealt with in an even harsher manner...

Take this example from my local paper

Teenager's car park rampage
08 Feb, 2012

A teenager who broke into 12 cars in one night caused nearly $10,000 in damage and stole goods to the value of more than $3000, Orange Childrens Court has heard.
The 17-year-old will remain in juvenile detention pending his sentence on March 13.

He has previously served time in detention for a similar spate of offences.

A statement of police facts tendered to the court outlines one offence of having possession of stolen goods and 14 counts of larceny.

The teenager smashed the window of a Holden Vectra parked behind the Hotel Canobolas on August 20 and stole a laptop computer valued at $500.

On September 10 he smashed the window of a Toyota Hilux parked in Franklin Road and stole personal papers and a box used to keep spare change.

The teenager entered the Woolworths car park in Anson Street shortly before midnight on September 15. In a period of about half an hour, he smashed the windows of 10 vehicles with a rock and stole or attempted to steal items from inside.

He took CDs, an iPod, sunglasses, a GPS system and cash.

A witness who saw him smash the window of a Toyota Prado sounded the horn from her own car and raised her mobile phone to indicate she was going to call police, but the teenager continued to rifle through the vehicle.

After leaving the Woolworths car park through a laneway on to Kite Street, the teenager walked to the car park in McNamara Lane where he smashed the window of one car and stole a laptop valued at $2000.

He then smashed the window of another car and rifled through the belongings inside.

Many of the items stolen were found in the boys bedroom when it was searched by police.

The boys solicitor Bob Lulham said the offences pre-dated those his client had already spent time in custody for, including a spree where he broke into seven cars in one night.

A pre-sentence report has been ordered.

Clearly this fucker has zero respect for the law, odds are he'll serve 3months detention, return to the street and do the same shit again.......Honestly I hope he gets caught by someone who won't just honk their horn and call the cops but grab him and make him disappear from society, plenty of bushland around here if you know what I mean......Or perhaps I've been watching too much Dexter lately.

@ Bonj, it's more like zilch is done at times to apprehend/punish them because it will get nowhere. If I can believe the local newspaper, some shops tell their employees to let certain people shoplift because it's just not worth pursuing. And ge not just them, taking their cue, everyday Joe does the same these days. I know that for a fact because of hearing it from the offender's mouth.

@Batz, thinking more along the lines of compulsory hard labour. There are roads that need repairing up here, I'm sure they can round up enough to do night works. Considering some of the damage from Yasi year is/was still being repaired there is plenty of hard labour to be found. Might even give them some work skills and maybe a small amount of pride in doing constructive work rather than the BS community service crap.

@Batz, thinking more along the lines of compulsory hard labour. There are roads that need repairing up here, I'm sure they can round up enough to do night works. Considering some of the damage from Yasi year is/was still being repaired there is plenty of hard labour to be found. Might even give them some work skills and maybe a small amount of pride in doing constructive work rather than the BS community service crap.

You immediately have high costs involved, transport, overseeing, accommodation and food, the list goes on.

Why don't we just eat them. Soylent green, am I right people?

Batz you'd start at school if you wanted to go that route.

The cane was used when I was at school and yes I copped it a couple of times and didn't do me any harm. If I did get the cane I sure as hell wouldn't go running home to tell my Dad so he could complain to the school, I'll run the risk of another from him. ;)

Batz

You immediately have high costs involved, transport, overseeing, accommodation and food, the list goes on.
So, we're back to the fact that the problem has been created and we want to only use the cheapest nastiest way to deal with it!? Great approach, I totally get where the government gets the motivation for its approach from, if the people think that way then of course the govt will do fuckall about it. No matter what party - not my problem, why should I deal with it - everyone says that until they get robbed/raped etc.

If you wanted to 'solve' crime petty crime you'd start with the parents, job rehabilitation etc.

Just found this thread & can sympathise with all you blow-ins who came up here for a better life & to stuff up ours I don't think.

Northern NSW would be a much better choice for every single one of you as the climate is approx the same as SE Qld, no Anna Bligh, no tailgaiting, no restrictions on your ideal expectations in life but most importantly of all born & bred Queenslanders would not have to listen to all this crying, pathetic, self centred crap. :lol:

If things up this way are too much of a culture shock for you poor bastards then the answer is soooo simple. ------------ Just go back where you came from (or to Northern NSW) for a better life.
Goodbye Locky & Happy Retirement :super: --- Hello seven years straight Origin supremacy. :super:

Gentle hint --- Certain posters on the dope reply at their yellow peril. I have lots of ammunition & getting very tired of your bad-mouthing to anyone silly enough to believe you.<_<

TP

While ur at it, I need some TP for my bunghole :lol:

We should increase prision sentences and the number of prisons. This will create jobs in the construction industry, the police service, the legal system and the security industry. Then we just sell every thing we own and pay a foriegn company to run every thing.
See it is win win. We get jobs and we don't have to worry because someone else runs the joint.
Good example. We have a government in a country that won't give the people passports. We don't like these people so who gives a ****. So someone has this great idea. Lets get a thousand million dollars and go to that country kick that gov out open up their borders. Show them how rich we are and make out how much we like them. We must like them because who sends people to be killed on their behalf if you don't like them?
Then when they start coming here we get some more money and build facilities for them. Then we get another thousand million and pay a pommy company to run those facilities.
See win win for someone. :blink:

Latest posts

Back