Js Golden Ale - Recipe Comments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beersmith :)
Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com

Recipe: JS Golden Ale w/ Simcoe

Brewer: Tim

Asst Brewer: 

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 24.00 L	  

Boil Size: 30.64 L

Estimated OG: 1.057 SG

Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM

Estimated IBU: 26.6 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.0 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount		Item									  Type		 % or IBU	  

0.04 kg	   Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)					  Adjunct	  0.8 %		 

3.00 kg	   Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain		60.7 %		

1.50 kg	   Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain		30.4 %		

0.25 kg	   Munich, Light (Joe White) (9.0 SRM)	   Grain		5.1 %		 

0.15 kg	   Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)			  Grain		3.0 %		 

16.50 gm	  Pride of Ringwood 05 [9.20%]  (60 min)	Hops		 15.2 IBU	  

20.00 gm	  Simcoe 05 [11.00%]  (12 min)			  Hops		 9.3 IBU	   

30.00 gm	  Amarillo Gold 05 [8.40%]  (2 min)		 Hops		 2.1 IBU	   

20.00 gm	  Amarillo Gold 05 [8.40%]  (5 min) (Aroma HHops		  -			

5.00 gm	   Polyclar (Secondary 7.0 days)			 Misc					   

1 Pkgs		SafAle US-56 (DCL Yeast #US-56)		   Yeast-Ale				  

Mash Schedule: My Single Infusion All-In-One Mash

Total Grain Weight: 4.94 kg

----------------------------

Name			   Description						 Step Temp	 Step Time	 

Conversion		 Add 29.91 L of water at 69.8 C	  67.0 C		70 min		

MashOut			Add 0.00 L of water at 72.0 C	   72.0 C		20 min		

Notes:

------

Hi Tim,

I have just put your recipe into ProMash and I finished up with 29.4 IBU's using the Tinseth method.
When I make an APA I tend to run up to near 38 IBU's. It's what the drinkers (and I have heaps) prefer.
It would be interesting to get some other comments on this matter, however, I feel that you could up the Simcoe to about 30 grams which would bring the IBU's up to 34.5.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Thanks for that Lindsay, the strike water is still heating up, so there's about 2hrs till i'm adding the Simcoe hops. I'd also be interested in other peoples comments on this before I add the hops. :beer:

Still got time?

I'm with Lindsay. I think you could up the IBUs a bit. How about 20g Simcoe at 15, 20g Amarillo at 10,5 and 0. Should give you 35IBUs. What do you think? There are so many ways to skin a cat. :lol:

Stuster, thanks for the feedback. I can do that, just doing the MashOut now. Will get to boil in about 30 mins.

Have adjusted my hops to your recommendation :)

I thought the JS Golden Ale was supposed to be an English style Summer Ale, not an APA !
James

I thought the JS Golden Ale was supposed to be an English style Summer Ale, not an APA !
James

If we are talking BCJP, I reckon the late amarillo makes it close to an APA, but probably more like a Blonde Ale. Not hoppy enough for the APA style IMHO but you could get away with it.

The English Summer Ale is mentioned in the BJCP description of the Blonde Ale BTW. That style is really broad...

James,
The JS Golden Ale bottle states amongst other things that they use Amarillo hops. So it's a little bit up in the air as to what they want it to be classed as.
I'm pretty sure the Poms would not be using Amarillo...but then again, maybe?
If I was given that beer to judge and was asked to put it into a category, I'm pretty sure I'd call it an APA.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Righto fellas, the wort has been put to no-chill bed for the night. Thanks for your help with the hops.

I accidentally made one minor change to the hop schedule - I put the first portion of Amarillo in instead of the Simcoe. So my additions actually look like this:
16.50 gm Pride of Ringwood 05 [9.20%] (60 min)
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold 05 [8.40%] (15 min)
20.00 gm Simcoe 05 [11.00%] (10 min)
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold 05 [8.40%]
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold 05 [8.40%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Total Tinseth calculated IBUs is still 35.0 for a 90 min boil.

Can't wait to try it! :)
Tim.

All I know is .....

12kg Amarilo at 50HL Whirlpool
An Ale that Wants to drink like a lager - aka low crystal levels with perhaps MALT X and roast barley or choc to lift colour. More than 2% crystal and you'll kill it.... sweat the small stuff... sweat the small stuff ...

Low 60's for mash with suagrs in kettle on a 10-15% charge. Good attentuating Ale with a clean low ester profile. LOOOOOK at your water salts, without the right salts you'll never get the right hop roundness - cacl anyone???

And I forgot - Brew with the Passion that Rob Freshwater has in his pinkie and you'll be part the way there! Pay attention on your brewery tours ey ....

Scotty

nnlbeersupplies.com.au

Good Day
I thought the Golden Ale was more of an American Amber Ale, so lower IBU's and more malt flavour than an APA? (my version is :D )

Hi All,
I think this is humerous....Malt Shovel don't know what they've made. Have a read of this,
http://www.malt-shovel.com.au/golden.asp

"Often thought of", C'mon boys you can do better then that!
It appears that you can simply produce a beer that is nice to the pallet and give it a moniker!

Barry, you may well be correct! I think there is a lucrative position waiting for you at MSB.........give 'em a call.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Malt Shovel know exactly what they are doing with the Golden Ale. Light "summer ales" quite similar to JS Golden Ale have been appearing in the UK for some time now, including some which display characteristics of US hops. Others, like Fuller's Discovery, use noble hops like Saaz.

At the Bristol Beer Festival this year, I sampled at least one very pale golden cask ale which was hopped with Amarillo. There were also a few Cascade hopped real ales around - Archers of Swindon in particular seem to be making a lot of ales using US hops varieties. I think the one I tried was from Crouch Vale.
largeamarillo.jpg

Scotty wrote:
"All I know is .....

12kg Amarilo at 50HL Whirlpool"

240g per hL!
With an immersion chiller, no pasteurisation and complete control over storage, I can get away with less than half of that and still get a much stronger aroma. :)

Peter

Malt Shovel know exactly what they are doing with the Golden Ale. Light "summer ales" quite similar to JS Golden Ale have been appearing in the UK for some time now, including some which display characteristics of US hops. Others, like Fuller's Discovery, use noble hops like Saaz.

At the Bristol Beer Festival this year, I sampled at least one very pale golden cask ale which was hopped with Amarillo. There were also a few Cascade hopped real ales around - Archers of Swindon in particular seem to be making a lot of ales using US hops varieties. I think the one I tried was from Crouch Vale.
largeamarillo.jpg

Okay, Fair enough.
I'm crawling back into my box right now.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Barry, forget it about mate, Colin's already got the job.

It really is closer to an american wheat as they use 30% wheat malt in their grain bill. They needed to call it an English Summer ale to keep with James Squire and the whole marketting bit they have on their bottles. They can produce what ever beer they like as long as it has a story to back it up ;)

Back