James Squires Brewhouse In Melbs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffo17

Reaction score
Hi there,

Taking Mrs. Griffo to Melbourne at some stage over the QB long weekend and if I'm a good boy and don't complain when she's shopping for hours etc. I'll get to have a few hours of blokes orientated stuff.

What better than some quality beer related time, I was wondering if anyone out there had been to the James Squires Brewhouse at Docklands or City (Portland hotel)? and weather one is better than the other?
Is there anything to be learnt at either? i.e. interesting beer stuff / self guided tour of brewhouse or something like that?

Unfortunately we won't be there on the friday evening, so we won't be able to make it to Mountain Goat.

Any suggestions of recommendations would be great.

Cheers (& beers)

Griffo

Hi there,

Taking Mrs. Griffo to Melbourne at some stage over the QB long weekend and if I'm a good boy and don't complain when she's shopping for hours etc. I'll get to have a few hours of blokes orientated stuff.

What better than some quality beer related time, I was wondering if anyone out there had been to the James Squires Brewhouse at Docklands or City (Portland hotel)? and weather one is better than the other?
Is there anything to be learnt at either? i.e. interesting beer stuff / self guided tour of brewhouse or something like that?

Unfortunately we won't be there on the friday evening, so we won't be able to make it to Mountain Goat.

Any suggestions of recommendations would be great.

Cheers (& beers)

Griffo

Hey Griffo,

Both have their good points.

Portland Hotel is a more "traditional" pub where as Docklands is more funkier and has a view.

Prob depend when you are going.

If afternoon then I'd definately say Docklands to chill and take in the view through the floor to ceiling glass walls. Docklands one has great food as well (haven't eaten at Portland) - had the Kangaroo...great stuff!!

I was at the Portland last St Pats (oh..hang on..and Docklands...it was a big day :beerbang: ) day and they gave tours of their micro brewery on the hour. Shouldn't be hard to have someone show you around (it is a small area but cool to see).

Either way, you'll be drinking great beer. Try the Highwayman...damn I love that beer :super:

I've not been to the one at Docklands. The food's not bad at the Portland, but be aware that it gets totally packed on a busy night - which doesn't differentiate it hugely from other good pubs too much, except that sit-down space for eating becomes near-impossible...

If you go to the Docklands one, you've got some very nice dinner options nearby - Whitebait (seafood) or Mecca Bah (middle eastern) come instantly to mind, but there's also good Greek (who doesn't like good Greek?) , etc, etc which would also appeal to the Mrs.

A number 86 tram takes you there.

griffo,

I havn't been to the Docklands one, but Portland House is good, but as already stated it can get packed out.

Devo, Bugwan and myself catch up there on occasions on a friday lunchtime, sing out if you want to catch up for a brew or two.

Rook :beerbang:

oh oh oh

i had a few schooners of the Golden Ale last night..

it was beautiful

I love their Amber on tap, although I don't think it is brewed in the pub itself. Try whatever they are brewing on premise.

I have not been to the Docklands one, but do try and stop in at the Portland Hotel anytime I'm int he city and having a few drinks. The Highwayman is nice.

BB

Never been to the Docklands one, but I'm not a fan of the area. The Portland one is a great place for a relaxing lunch and ales on a Sunday afternoon.

Back