James Squire/malt Shovel Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmacdonald

Reaction score
This is a very similar question to to my other one about Becks bottles but want to know if James Squire bottles are ok for home brew. They're appealing as they're brown crown seals, albeit only 345mL.

Issue is that I note they're marked "no refill" around the base. Does this apply to commercial re-use only or doesn it mean that I shouldn't secondary ferment/cellar in them?

No-refill would be commercial. They are fine for home brew and an be used as many times as you want.

This is a very similar question to to my other one about Becks bottles but want to know if James Squire bottles are ok for home brew. They're appealing as they're brown crown seals, albeit only 345mL.

Issue is that I note they're marked "no refill" around the base. Does this apply to commercial re-use only or doesn it mean that I shouldn't secondary ferment/cellar in them?

probably 90% of the bottles i used to use for bottling were JS. Never had a problem. Solid as.

Same here... 90% of my bottles are JS. Never had an issue....

Yep, solid is the word! I have ~1K of them, and a few from other brands, which now sadly as I keg don't get as much use as they used to.

Still they are a handy size and go down a treat when sessioning away from home.

My stubbie of choice for bottling. Never had a bottle bomb from one, despite slightly over-priming from time to time.

Wish the same could be said of some of my old amstel brown stubbies. :rolleyes: Rest in piece to those ones - plenty I've had to pick up off the floor. Don't think they make them in brown anymore though - probably just as well.

Hopper.

1k = 1000? You want to get rid of any?

Yep, that kind of "K". If you're near the Sunny coast then yeah, they do take up a lot of room. All are boxed, clean and de-labeled: PM me and we can work out the details.....

These bottles are tops
take usual precaution you would with any single use bottle though
I think the don't refi is a legal precationary thing
the glass on these is very thick better than most
if I bottle I use these or coopers

Becks stubbies bounce! and although I have only bottled 3 stubbies in ages, judging from the ease of cleaning the mould off 2 month old virgin becks bottles as opposed these and any other brew I have had, becks wins.

Yep, that kind of "K".

:icon_offtopic:
:unsure: down here in Adelaide you'd get $100 for recycling them... that's 3-4 brews :ph34r:

back on topic: Yep - JS bottles are good - I prefer them to the coopers ones cos screw cap bottles seem to be easier to break. Although I haven't bottled for a year or so now...

Back