James Squire Golden Ale (which Ag Recipe Is Best?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

May be a dumb question, but do any of you know a kit/extract recipe for JSGA? Or am I just wasting my time? Have been a long time fan of the commercial and have found a few recipe's online but they vary greatly.

Cheers.......Nugget

Nugget,a question asked is never dumb.I haven't an extract recipe,but all recipes can be converted to extract with varying results.
If your willing to do a bit of boiling adding hops ect.I'm sure you will come close.

I know someone will come along with a close extract clone and put you in the right direction.It's not a beer I've tried,let alone tried to emulate.

This is my extract version.
I can't recall just how close it was but it was a very nice beer.
The original recipe had a kg of base malt, it was a mini-mash, but I've taken that out. Just ignore the percentages...

I used to boil part of my recipe on the stove and top up with water, hence the hop calculations are a little different.
Use beersmith or similar tool to adjust to your set-up...

Recipe: Golden Ale
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.50 L
Boil Size: 5.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 14.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1000.00 gm Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 25.64 %
1500.00 gm Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 38.46 %
700.00 gm Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Grain 25.64 %
300.00 gm Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
100.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 2.56 %
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (45 min) Hops 24.9 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma HopHops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Hi guys,

May be a dumb question, but do any of you know a kit/extract recipe for JSGA? Or am I just wasting my time? Have been a long time fan of the commercial and have found a few recipe's online but they vary greatly.

Cheers.......Nugget

G'day Nugget

My AG Golden Ale was the improved version of the kit recipe i had been doing up until then.

From memory i used a kit of Coopers Sparkling Ale, 1 tin of coopers wheat malt extract (which is 50/50 barley/wheat) and then 15g of amarillo at 15 and 5 mins. Sometimes i used 250g of JW caramalt (steeped) and i also dry hopped in secondary with another 15g of amarillo. 20L batch size. Yeast was US56 (05)

HTH
Cheers
DrSmurto

Trevc,
I brewed your recipe about 6 weeks ago and it turned out a ripper. As good, no better than the original. I also dry hopped. Give it a go.

I'm actually going to use the DrSmurto one to start with, since so many here have praised it:)

Trevc,
I brewed your recipe about 6 weeks ago and it turned out a ripper. As good, no better than the original. I also dry hopped. Give it a go.
Also, I didn't make that first recipe I posted... it was someone else on here.

I think anything with a similar grain bill and Amarillo will taste great :) Easy-drinkin' beer.

If the 90L stockpot shows up in time for the weekend, we'll be doing our first AG on the new gear.

Hmmm looks like you've done all the hard work for me here :)

I'm thinking it's about time I put down another brew and I reckon this migth be the go!

Thanks for the Kit recipes to try... I wanted one for the Mother in-law whos visiting soon, hopefully that will keep her otherwise occupied. ;)

Much appreciated. :beer:

Nugget

Latest posts

Back