James Squire Amber Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goingto try Tony's recipe, anyone given it a go? got a review?

what temp. should it ferment at? and what temp should i pitch the yeast?

Timbo.

It has heaps of good feedback.

Ferment at 18 degrees, pitch yeast anywhere between 18 and 25 degrees though get to 18 as soon after as possible.

had a JSAA today and decided to check for recipes, only to find it was back on top the K+E index again.-like the look of Tony's recipe , but know there should be 3 hops used(dont know what though). the main thing I wanted to ask was if anyone had recultured yeast from a JSAA(my bottle had a residue similar to a CSA-got me thinking)?

goingto try Tony's recipe, anyone given it a go? got a review?

what temp. should it ferment at? and what temp should i pitch the yeast?

Timbo.

I can definitely vouch for this. It was the first extract recipe I did and it was great.

G-day about to have a crack at Tony's recipe using the williamette but is there any insight to what the other two hops might be and where to add them in the boil?

Cheers

Put Tony"s recipe down today, but like to do 25l batches so upped the crystal to 450g and the chock to 45 + used 400g ldme in a 5l boil for the hops(sorry-100g dex as well). upped the eary hop to 45g and the 5 min to 30.- also used a us-05 yeast as 04 was out of stock. Forgot to add that I had a pack of 100g caripils sitting in the kit so threw that in the steep as well.---F!?k broke another hydrometer so dont have an sg-will leave for 10 days at 18c and check if I want more hops or not. let you know how it goes. also dont try reculturing jsaa yeast(as per my earlier query) not a good result!!!!!. As for Midnight Brewers hop question, I was hoping some of the more experianced brewers would throw up whats in the original (not quantities and boil time) just as something to play with-any takers?

A question for Tony - six years on would you do anything different to your JSAA recipe ?

Hmmmmm

For an extract brew i would probably use Dark Crytstal (240 ebc) and half the amount of Choc Malt but using Pale Choc malt

Replacing the late hops with Challenger would be a nice touch also.

And i would ferment it with Wyeast 1272 :icon_drool2:

Its hard to get these beers spot on from a home brew prospective, because there is a good chance the brewery has a dark malt custon kilned for the beer that cant be purchased by us. I am fairly sure LN do this for tooheys old and use just one dark malt. We as brewers have to try and find a mix of whats available to us to match its profile.

Best bet is to make it, taste it and adjust to suit your taste buds for next time!

Cheers

Back