It's Pumpkin Saison!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maeldric

Reaction score
Well its been quite a while since i dusted off the ole fermenters and brewed me some liquid gold. (almost a year!! damm moving and other distractions) But im getting back into the swing of things with a Saison.

Recipe is:
- 3kg pale dried malt extract
- 200g of Vienna/Munich malt
- 1 pumpkin which im going to roast and maybe sprinkle some cinnamon nutmeg and allspice over it. Then steeped with the grain.
- 30g Pearle hops at 60mins
- 20g East Kent Goldings at 10mins.
- Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison

Beer smith had me coming in at about 1.067 which might be a little high with that yeast. So maybe cutting out a kilo of the extract.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ill be putting it all together as soon as the ingredients i ordered from Craft Brewer arrive.

Cheers

theres a few threads re adding pumpkin. from memory you will need to do a lot more than just steep it. the flesh will need to be in the fermentor.

Spills and Thirstyboy have done a pumpkin beer.

pumpkin saison huh? out there, thats for sure. lets us know how it goes

edit:

re yeast. 1067 would give what about 7-8%. the yeast should cope fine with that. traditionally saisons arent that high in alc but who cares about tradition.

theres a few threads re adding pumpkin. from memory you will need to do a lot more than just steep it. the flesh will need to be in the fermentor.

Spills and Thirstyboy have done a pumpkin beer.

pumpkin saison huh? out there, thats for sure. lets us know how it goes

edit:

re yeast. 1067 would give what about 7-8%. the yeast should cope fine with that. traditionally saisons arent that high in alc but who cares about tradition.

It would be pretty sweet would it not?

Sorry i meant i was thinking the alc % might be a little high. Wasn't worried about the yeast coping with it

agrreed about alc. as i said saisons were tradityionally for farmers/ workers to provide nuroushment, a 'fortifying' drink. not to get them blind. but being a pumpkin saison i doubt its going to be a sessional beer so you could get away with having a higher alc. the alc flavours may play well with the pumpkin and make a great winter drink.

The punkin spiced american ale I made last year, had a relatively straightforward ale profile.
I threw 2kg of punkin into the mash after roasting it with brown sugar.
The pumpking gave the beer a very orange hue, but not a lot of flavour.
The flavours were driven by the late addition of boiled spices into the 2ndary.
A delicious beer.

A pumpkin saison is going to be a comlex set of flavours and aromas, tho.

Sounds interesting.

Out of interest is it thought that any pumpkin flavour would dissipate after time, similar to hops?

Marlow

OUr American friends seem pretty keen on knocking out pumkin related brews around halloween and thanksgiving. Have also heard of a bit of success using sweet potato (yams) as they have a good amount of sugar in them.

:icon_cheers: SJ

I roasted some pumpkin (kent, I think) in the oven to get some caramelisation happening, then just threw it into the mash expecting the enzymatic activity already happening to work on the remaining starches.

I guesstimated that it would have the same extract yield as my base malt and it kinda did (plus or minus).

I would recommend giving it a whirl, but won't be doing it myself until I have grown the necessary pumpkin. In fact, I wholeheartedly endorse trying anything that contains edible starches (perhaps not plain-label spaghetti).

Latest posts

Back