It's my first time. Be gentle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parlo

Reaction score
[emoji2] just finished mixing up my first brew. Hoegaarden pre mix with a kit from Malthouse home brew in Perth. Been meaning to do this (brew my own beer) for so long. And have stalked this place (website/ app) for a while however still feel I stuffed up a bit this time around. My temp was 26 degrees when I added the yeast. Urgh. However I have a great spot under the stairs and the temp is already dropping. Anyway. My favourite beers are hoegaarden, lefe blond and saison DuPont so I am hoping to be able to produce my own beers in this style in the future. However baby steps. One wants to crawl before one walks then runs. Happy New Years.

Welcome aboard Parlo,
...there's still time to abandon this madness and lead a "normal" life, another brew or 2 and you'll be hooked!!
Cheers,
Happy New Year

Any idea what the yeast strain is? For most yeasts that pitching temp is way too high, but saison and farmhouse yeasts are often exceptions, and Saison Dupont is actually fermented well above your 26.

Day-night temperature variation is a problem with many yeast strains. Some,especially British strains, drop out too soon.on cool nights. Most Belgian strains do not have that problem because they re slow to flocculate, but are prone to sticking when cooled.

Recommendations: monitor sp gravity, no worries, and when you're done, enjoy while researching yeast strains. Some day soon you'll want temperature control.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451548690.457788.jpg

This is the yeast i used. Yep. Can with the packet. My question. At such a high pitching temp will my beer still be drinkable. Next time I will be getting some bags of ice. Lesson learned.

Actually, I have pushed T58 up the low to mid 20s and I reckon it does better there - the esters were excellent, lots of Belgian bubblegum and spice. Don't write the beer off just yet.

Oh and BTW, welcome aboard ☺

You should be fine, assuming it dropped pretty quickly below 26. I've found T58 tends to bubblegum at mid 20s and more spicy peppery notes without the bubblegum at 18, but it's the first day or so that's the most important flavour wise.

Not sure how it fits a hoegaarden clone, but you should end up starting your journey with something tasty (which is a lot more than I can say). Welcome to the addiction.

Benn said:
Welcome aboard Parlo,
...there's still time to abandon this madness and lead a "normal" life, another brew or 2 and you'll be hooked!!
Cheers,
Happy New Year
I would also search for the folowing

Rice Gulls
Kittens
Gladwrap

Then abandon this madness B)

If you're south of the river also check out TWOC. I've always found that they stock a huge range of yeasts including the harder to find liquid yeasts. They should have all the Belgian candi and specialty grains you need too. I used to be just around the corner from them, but even though I'm now near subiaco I go there as my LHBS. Welcome to our addiction btw.

Thanks guys. The brew came down to 25 pretty quickly and is now at 21. The space under the stairs seems pretty good however I will be getting a fridge asap. Has bubbled along for the last 24 hours so all seems to be working. Would love it if through ar@e not class I managed to get something a little more to my liking than was expected. Gold. And already planning my best brew. Already thinking about what I would do better next time. And I am south of the river (Cloverdale) so will check out TWOC

yankinoz said:
For most yeasts that pitching temp is way too high,
I quite often pitch dry and recycled yeast at room temp, then cool.
No issues with my brews.

Back