Italian Sriral Burner - Built Into Bbq

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
Gidday Fellas.
I am in the planning stages of a built in BBQ in the back yard. As well as the main BBQ, I was thinking of installing an Italian spiral burner as a bit of a dual purpose side burner, for the spuds and also to boil the brew kettle. Looking at the different models of burners available, I think that this model looks the best for my needs as it has a square base and would not look out of place.
Im still brewing extract brews on the stove (but trying to gear up for the move to AG), so dont have any experience with these burners and their enviromental requirements.
Do they require alot of ventilation? If I had it finishing flush with the benchtop, with 3 sides built in (besser blocks), would front ventilation be enough?
I am assuming that I would also need an adjustable regulator, but can these be turned down enough to boil a pot of spuds?
Has anyone done something like this before?
Im not going to tell the wife that its for boiling a brew kettle, it will just be a convenient coinsidence that it is multipurpose.
Any other suggestions that I could incorporate into the BBQ would be welcome.

Gregor

Edit:Oops that was suppose to be Spiral (in title), but cant seem to edit the title now

I use one on a metal hospital looking trolly hooked up to mains gas. It was supposed to originally only be for brewing, but if there's not much wind, I can turn it down pretty low. The stand limits the size of the pot, but cajun stuff like steaks and blackened fish it's wicked and it fits a wok awesomely!
It did cost me $ (and some rums and coke for the licensed gas fitters, I never run out of gas) but best part of my kitchen is in the beer garden.

I have one of these, and I find it gets incredibly hot underneath.

I used to have it on a piece of stainless about 5mm thick, and on high power it actually melted directly underneath the burner. But if you are using it for cooking you are not going to need to have such high power. I reckon it should be alright

I have one of these, and I find it gets incredibly hot underneath.

I used to have it on a piece of stainless about 5mm thick, and on high power it actually melted directly underneath the burner. But if you are using it for cooking you are not going to need to have such high power. I reckon it should be alright

But I want to keep it in the BBQ for brewing too. What could I put under it for boiling the brew kettle? I have read in other topics that it can make the concrete under it explode :blink: .

... I was thinking of installing an Italian spiral burner as a bit of a dual purpose side burner, for the spuds .....

:blink:

Wtf are you doing to spuds to need that much grunt? Maybe you're part Irish and you're doing half a ton for the neighbourhood......

:blink:

Wtf are you doing to spuds to need that much grunt? Maybe you're part Irish and you're doing half a ton for the neighbourhood......

You're missing the point schooey. If I can sell it to the wife as a BBQ side burner, I dont have to justify the outlay for a seperate burner for my brewing. And I do like to boil the f**k out of my spuds

And I do like to boil the f**k out of my spuds

Cancel the part Irish comment then :D

Geez I'm glad I have a wife that I don't have to justify everything to, it'd drive me nuts having to make excuses for every little purchase

And I do like to boil the f**k out of my spuds

Better watch language like that, someone will report you.. I know, I know, will all get excited at times.. :rolleyes:

Lighten up clean brewer. Ive seen worse than that on other posts and its not like this is a forum for the kiddies now is it?

I use one on a metal hospital looking trolly hooked up to mains gas. It was supposed to originally only be for brewing, but if there's not much wind, I can turn it down pretty low. The stand limits the size of the pot, but cajun stuff like steaks and blackened fish it's wicked and it fits a wok awesomely!
It did cost me $ (and some rums and coke for the licensed gas fitters, I never run out of gas) but best part of my kitchen is in the beer garden.

Hi Tangent,

Did you have to drill out the jets to run on mains gas? How long to bring the wort to the boil?

Lighten up clean brewer. Ive seen worse than that on other posts and its not like this is a forum for the kiddies now is it?

Just a head start Gregor.. I got nabbed for putting in f(1st letter), k(4th letter) and 2 hyphens(2nd & 3rd) letter... ;)

Ive seen worse than that on other posts and its not like this is a forum for the kiddies now is it?

I thought the same, but anyhow..

If you making the bbq area try to keep it a bit lower than the bbq hot wort plus lifting not good dont want a fellow brewer to get burnt.

Thanks Sav. Every bit of info helps. I will keep that in mind.

Now can anyone tell me about clearance around the spiral burner or what I can put below to stop exploding concrete/blocks?

Just a head start Gregor.. I got nabbed for putting in f(1st letter), k(4th letter) and 2 hyphens(2nd & 3rd) letter... ;)

Hey CB, what about all those commonly used acronyms like WTF and HTFU. By using them you might as well be spelling it because everyone knows what they mean, just like using ** or __.
I suppose it all depends on what sort of a day the mod is having. Maybe the one that picked you up had an empty fridge.

Back