Italian Spiral Burner Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Hello

Recently purchased an Italian Spiral burner (and med pressure reg) and I am quite happy with it. Pumps out some serious heat!

I have a few questions. Does anyone have the problem of too much heat on the side kettle tap? Im worried about damaging it and the o-ring. Has anyone made up a heat shield of some sort?

Also, wind seems to affect this burner quite significantly. Has anyone bought or made up a wind shield for it? Some photos would be really good of your setups.

One more question. With the regulator, I tend to have it wide open and control the gas at the burner end. Is that the most optimal way to do it or is there a better setting?

Thanks

Jim

Woops sorry I think I put this in the wrong section

i always turn my gas bottle on full and adjust with the regulator, i was thinking of adapting some wind sheilds into my bench too

i always turn my gas bottle on full and adjust with the regulator, i was thinking of adapting some wind sheilds into my bench too
Hi,
I was worried about the same thing, damaging the tap/o-ring from heat, but it hasn't hurt my tap. I dont think it would unless your tap is at the very bottom and the flames were licking at it.

I had a heat shield below the tap on my old 4 ring burner and will be making one again for my recently purchased spiral burner from a steel plate that I will weld or screw to the stand.

This burner's supplied stand seems to send a lot of flames around the side of my 50 litre pot. I wonder if there needs to be more gap between the burner and pot, but there's no way to change the height without hacking the stand or making a new one. I'm using a medium pressure adjustable regulator.

Because of this, I've noticed inside my pot that the sides have become blued indicating there is a lot of heat going up there that should probably be only hitting the thicker base instead. Long term I don't trust this not to damage the plastic seals in my ball valve. The rubber handle cover already melted off even with the old 4 ringer.

Back