Is This Possible?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well some of you may already know but im a 3rd year uni student at CSU Wagga Wagga. Im at home at the moment in sydney but since making my first HB im itching to make this wheat beer ive been planing.

I dont leave for uni for another 2 weeks so i was wondering if its possible to boil, mix, up the wort for the beer (eg. everything except pitching the yeast). Then bottling the wort in a large plastic jug. That way when i get to uni i can just add water and pitch the yeast? is this possible? cause i cant transport the primary obviously, and it saves me trashing the cottage kitchen :)

Otherwise i gota wait two weeks :-(

I think you are just asking for trouble... By the sounds of it your brewing gear is at uni? If not just brew it now, a wheat beer will be ready to bottle in 2 weeks or just transfer is to a jerrican (secondary) and then take it to uni and bottle.

Take a few deep breaths and relax after the first brew :D nah, stay up till midnight reading about wheat beers :lol:

umm, couldnt you have it bottled in 2 weeks...?
it's a wheat beer so clarity shouldnt be of concern.

My brewing stuff is here at home. I dont think I will have the ingredients by then though if i have to order some stuff from the net.

Finite,

If you use my extract recipe, I have made a wheat beer, from kettle to gullet in 10 days. It was bottled and primed at 7-8 days. Carbonated and ready to drink on the 10th day. Short schedule for Superbowl, last year.

For lighter transport weigt, bottle in 2 litre softdrink bottles. Seal well, and distribute throughout your luggage.

Cheerz.

Seth

Well if you need to order... i'd get to ordering and hope for the best.
although there should be everything you need to brew your 'wheat' from the LHBS.
and to answer your question, the answer is essentially 'yes' if you sanitation skills are good. you should be able to mix up your wort and transport.. that is what the likes of ESB's "fresh worts" are.

i would still think you are better off making something this weekend which can be ready to bottle before you go.

As long as you have your ingredients ready by seven days out i think you will be fine.

Ferment for 7 days then rack to secondary (transfer it to a jerry can). Take that with you to uni, releasing the small gas build up every day. After 7 days you can bottle or cc.

or don't go back to Uni, it is a waste of time and gets in the way of brewing and drinking!

kirem said:
or don't go back to Uni, it is a waste of time and gets in the way of brewing and drinking!
[post="106185"][/post]​

2 years to go and doing something I enjoy....think ill stick at it...more money more beer.

Also i never realised but ESB are at peakhurst so im going there tomorrow to grab to stuff. Ill brew her up tomorrow. :) :p :beerbang:

Double Degree: TV Production / 3D Animation & Special Effects

Good on ya ,get the stuff,get in the fermenter for 7 days bottle it straight from primary and take it with ya.

Wheat beers are more forgiving than other styles Ala, clarity ,freshness etc.....

ill have enough time....17 days in fact.

im thinking....7 days primary, 5 days in secondary, then 2 days CC as per instructions? then bottle, to uni and relaxing and making housemates jelious :)

Finite said:
im thinking....7 days primary, 5 days in secondary, then 2 days CC as per instructions? then bottle, to uni and relaxing and making housemates jelious :)
[post="106203"][/post]​

:) Thats da sh*t man do it :eek:

Latest posts

Back