Is This Porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
hi is this going to work as a porter?

what ya think this is going to work?? ....i'm trying to make a porter type beer ...never made one and came up with this

...comments ..criticisms...all welcome...don't want to buy a porter kit want to use up gear i've already got

1.7 kg tin of lager goo (ibu i suppose 20 ish???)(boiled for 1/2 before adding anything else )
500 g dried wheat malt
1000 g light dried malt

hops
12 g saaz @ 1/2 hour (ibu 10 )
10 g cluster @ 10 mins
10 g fuggles @ 10 mins

specialty grains
100 g choc malt grain
100 g roasted barley grain
300 g crsytal grain

20 grams grated orange peel (bunged in with saaz )
20 grams crushed corriander seeds (bunged in with saaz )

want to put it on a hoppy LCPA yeast cake (us-56)... ferment around 18/c

what ya think this going to work ....i'm trying to make a porter type beer ...never made one and came up with this

...comments ..criticisms...all welcome...don't want to buy a porter kit want to use up gear i've already got

cheers totoro

imho, that will not be a porter.

1. Skip the spice and orange peel. They have no place in a porter.
2. Skip the wheat extract. The tartness is not what you want. Swap it for dextrose or more DME.
3. Roasted barley, no. Maybe double the roast malt instead
4. Saaz? No. Porter is a British beer and I don't think noble hops have any place in there. If you are going for an American porter, (as the US-56 yeast indicates) you could use some American hops (Amarillo or cascade go OK) at 20 mins.
5. Cut back on the crystal to about 200g or it'll be too sticky.

imho, that will not be a porter.

1. Skip the spice and orange peel. They have no place in a porter.
2. Skip the wheat extract. The tartness is not what you want. Swap it for dextrose or more DME.
3. Roasted barley, no. Maybe double the roast malt instead
4. Saaz? No. Porter is a British beer and I don't think noble hops have any place in there. If you are going for an American porter, (as the US-56 yeast indicates) you could use some American hops (Amarillo or cascade go OK) at 20 mins.
5. Cut back on the crystal to about 200g or it'll be too sticky.
thanks ...
was using the saaz really just to up the bitterness of the kit as its the highest alpha i have...will change to more cluster and fuggles....
will skip the wheat and add more light dried malt...
will bugger off the orange and spice as well just thought it might add a little zing...
cutting crystal back to 200g and have to leave the roasted barley as its mixed in with the choc in a bag...
looking at the new recipe and will take your advice (as i know not very much about such things) it wasn't much of a recipe was it..oh well live and learn ..
thanks again simpletotoro

My Robust Porter recipe goes something like this for a 20 litre batch:

4Kg Ale Malt
500g Munich
200g Crystal
200g Choc
50-80g Roasted Malt (for colour. How much depends on how dark I want it)

Bittering: About 20-23 IBU from a 60 min addition. Could be anything, but I usually use Northern Brewer, sometimes Pride Plus. I then either do a small 15g or so addition of fuggles, willemette or EKG at 20 mins or in the whirlpool.

Ferment with English yeast.

They've all been pretty good except one where I went overboard on the choc and it came out really astringent. The recipe is pretty much set in stone now @200g.

So yeah, no need to go nuts with tons of hop additions and spices and whatnot.

Roast barley can be OK in this, so long as it's not more than about 5%, just for colour. More than that and you'll get roastiness like a stout, which you might like, but then it's not a porter.

What you've come up with isn't really going to be a Porter, within the Style Guidelines, but that's not to say it won't still taste ok - It just won't be a "Porter" - more like some sort of Hoegaarden-cross-Intercontintenal spiced dark ale.

You've got Euro, Brittish & US hops all together in there... I have no idea what this mix would end up like, but if you end up trying it, let us know ;-)

If you're hell-bent on making a Porter true to the style, I agree with PoMo's original suggestions. Cluster for bittering and Fuggles for flavour should work well.

Don't be afraid to up the Chocolate malt either.

My house Robust Porter has 500gms of Joe White Choc Malt and 50gms Roast Malt for a 22L batch. It takes about a week under cold carbonation to mellow out the the initial harsh roast coffee bite. It's great before then but delicious after :beer:

EDIT: added Robust Porter recipe link
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=206841

Good luck!
:beer:
Tim

thanks to both of you for the input and info ....will up choc to 150 g ...
really appreicate the help thanks again of to brew now ...totoro

Yeah, go with your original recipe! Sounds kind of interesting!

But no, it's not porter.

Our Good Mate Ray (Daniels) reckons that porters differ between the US and Ye Olde Country and again from that called Baltic Porter and quotes some other (apparently) notable beer knowledgeables. I get the impression from him that roasted barley is better left to stouts - and kinda agree. If it were me, I would lose the herbs and spices, fruits and veg and call it a Stout Porter which is not a recognised style but makes reference to where stout came from - Porter!

Back