Is This Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razE

Reaction score
Alright guys I decided i wanted to try and brew a rasberry lager. I have a lager in the fridge thats having its diacetyl rest now so its almost finished fermenting and wanted to throw some rasberrys in the secondary. I had planned to transfer into my seconday and let it lager in the fridge for 5 - 6 weeks at 4 - 5 degrees before I decided I wanted to add the rasberrys. Instead would it be better to add the fruit into the secondary and leave for 1 - 2 weeks at 4 - 5 degrees, bottle and cold condition it in the fridge for the remaining time? I figured leaving the fruit in there for any length of time may be detrimental to the brew?

Sounds fine. When I did it, I left the fruit in there for three weeks and it was fine. I added 1kg frozen raspberries to 10L of wheat beer.

Ah ok, seems like some ppl are using 1kg for 10L and some are using 1 kg for 20L! Might shoot mid way at 1.5kg for 20L :eek:. Thanks for your reply peas and corn any others please chime in, like a few opinions :)

It depends on how dominant you want the fruit to be. My ratio had a reasonably dominant fruit flavour- though that's also because it was in a wheat beer. Using raspberries also made the beer somewhat tart, which was to be expected.

it also depends on the raspberries you plan on using. mine come straight from a farm, so i use kg where as the supermarket ones lack in aroma and flavour and thus require more.

I found using Coopers Heritage Wheat with liquid wheat malt and WB06 yeast, one kilo of Coles frozen raspberries partially defrosted in secondary for two weeks and it was as red as could be and as fruity as you'd ever want it to get.

Hey lads!

Well i have purchased my frozen rasberrys and am going to use a grand total of 1.4kgs of the little suckas! How many of you guys have added frozen fruit without using these campden tablets I have been reading about? Sounds like alot of guys just throw them in?

I just left the frozen bags (still sealed) sit on the window sill for an hour in the sun, partially defrosted then ripped the bags open and chucked it all into a spare fermenter. Then siphoned the fermented wheat beer on top of them and sealed it up.

two weeks later it was sweet as.

Hey lads!

Well i have purchased my frozen rasberrys and am going to use a grand total of 1.4kgs of the little suckas! How many of you guys have added frozen fruit without using these campden tablets I have been reading about? Sounds like alot of guys just throw them in?

I just threw it in, for me it floated so I racked the beer under it.

I'm thinking of chucking ~1kg of the gourmet mixed berries you find in the freezer section into 25 litres of wheat beer. Is this not going to be enough?

I'm thinking of chucking ~1kg of the gourmet mixed berries you find in the freezer section into 25 litres of wheat beer. Is this not going to be enough?

From the sounds of it mate it all depends on the freshness and your personal taste. From the reading i have done around the forum the lads have used between 1kg and 2kgs for around 20L. I am shooting for around the middle and will hopefully get a feel for what amount to use next time!

Thanks again for your response peas :super:

Back