Is This Lme?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Ok while I'm on a role with the questions I have been wondering is this:

Morgans Unhopped Extra Pale

would be classed as LME or would it be something else?

ALSO

Could I use the as a bass for a brew, adding my own hops and extra dextrose/corn syrup/DME etc to make a nice beer?

Thanx
SD :)

yes - it is LME - but you need around 3kg of extract to make a normal gravity beer.

you would do a lot better to goto the LHBS or ring around and get a 28kg drum of Coopers extra light or light malt extract - will cost around 95.00 - much cheaper - buy the palest/lightest - then u can do partials with grains etc to add the colour and flavours you want.

you will need only a 60min boil total and it would be better if you could boil the whole lot 25ltrs - this is due to hop utilisation is alot lower the higher the gravity of the wort in the boil.

Will also need to invest in a chiller for the full wort boils.
i know some people who brew 10 ltr extract beers only - much easier to handle on the stove etc with needing to get fancy equipment for full wort boils and cooling.

its LME in the light colour range, used for your lagers and pils pale ales etc

boiling these will make them slightly darker, and LME brewers will / might struggle to get as light as a AG brewer.

you need to add your bitterness to these (if your not adding to a kit, but this is good, because you get a fresh flavour and can add aroma and flavour hops)

GMK said:
you will need only a 60min boil total and it would be better if you could boil the whole lot 25ltrs - this is due to hop utilisation is alot lower the higher the gravity of the wort in the boil.

Will also need to invest in a chiller for the full wort boils.
i know some people who brew 10 ltr extract beers only - much easier to handle on the stove etc with needing to get fancy equipment for full wort boils and cooling.
Strangely enough, i've always got good extraction from my hops when boiling a small 10L concentrated wort. I originally upped my hops to take the high OG into account, but found the beers too bitter. Now i just follow the orginal recipe.

Another tip is to add the LME only to the last 15 mins of the boil - it's already been boiled so all you need to do is to sterilise it, and it prevents the wort from being scorched.

Latest posts

Back