Is this fridge suitable for fermenting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermeupscotty

Reaction score
Eager to get some temperature control into my brewing operations, I bought a 120L fridge recently. I wasn't really able to check whether the freezer compartment could be removed (in order to fit the FV) so I just took a gamble and now I'm trying to figure out if it's possible.

It appears the temperature sensor and cooling element/circuit is connected to the freezer compartment. I think the sensor can be removed but I'm concerned the cooling circuit will be buggered if I manage to remove the freezer section.

Anyone had a similar issue? What do you guys think?

IMG_0196 (Custom)_notes.jpg
IMG_0196 (Custom)_notes.jpg
IMG_0192 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0193 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0194 (Custom).JPG

I ferment in one that fits both bunnings and a coopers, old coopers style, fermenter. Not at the same time obviously. It has the freezer part off to the upper left side of the fridge but is higher than the fermenters anyway. I use glad wrap and not a lid.

Anyway, if you ferment at 18 or even lagers, the icebox will drop water on your fermenter as it melts, think of it like defrosting the freezer. I use a thin plastic chopping board on an angle directing the droplets away from the fermenter onto a sponge on the floor of the fridge. It's not much but I prefer it not on the fermenter.

I assume if you remove the freezer part you will stuff the whole system or making it work will be a cost vs benift exercise.

What does this measure at?

bar fridge dimensions.jpg

If you put a sheet of something stronger (say marine plywood) on the base to avoid cracking the glass then you will need a height of 440 mm for a Bunnings style 30L square fermenter used with clingwrap, and a width of 300 mm.

Just replace the glass shelf with ply.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Finally got a chance to respond..

Yes it seems clear that I can't remove the freezer section as I'd thought. I bought a second fridge (prior to realising this problem) and have the same issue, so I need to be a bit more diligent with my fridge purchases it seems.

Bribie G, unfortunately that section measures 410mm so that won't work. Looks like I just need to take a closer look at the fridges before buying next time.

Saw a video where the guy detached the icebox from its supporting mounts, detached the thermostat from its mount just so it could be swung out of the way so that he could bend the icebox inlet pipe down so that the floor of U-shaped 'box' was folded flat against the back wall of the fridge. It was still connected but now there was additional height in the fridge.

Saw a video where the guy detached the icebox from its supporting mounts, detached the thermostat from its mount just so it could be swung out of the way so that he could bend the icebox inlet pipe down so that the floor of U-shaped 'box' was folded flat against the back wall of the fridge. It was still connected but now there was additional height in the fridge.
9 year old thread resurrection? Thats the stuff of Lazarus!

Umm I think you'd be worried about crushing or putting a hole in the coolant tube when you folded it - as one hole or block in that and the entire fridge is fubar.

Personally I'd have gone for a more squat vessel to use as my fermenter - Bunnings used to have a 35L food grade tub/bucket with lid - not sure if it's still available.

9 year old thread resurrection? Thats the stuff of Lazarus!

Umm I think you'd be worried about crushing or putting a hole in the coolant tube when you folded it - as one hole or block in that and the entire fridge is fubar.

Personally I'd have gone for a more squat vessel to use as my fermenter - Bunnings used to have a 35L food grade tub/bucket with lid - not sure if it's still available.
😃 just keeps related info in one place where it might be discovered by someone at a later date.
And yes, break that coolant tube and it's all over Baby Blue. And yet he didn't, so it's possible.
I must admit I've been working backwards; looking for a fridge that fits my FV rather than t'other way around.
Thanks for the nudge. 35L is heaps.

Here it is https://www.bunnings.com.au/handy-storage-35l-all-purpose-storage-barrel_p2583956

Does an airlock need to be fitted through the lid? Recommended or optional?
Yes, thats it. The lid has no gasket so would not be airtight.

Personally I would go with a double layer of clingfilm and a large rubber band.

They're very nice construction, uber smooth on the insides and would be a dream to clean - easy to pickup. I eyeballed them to use as a fermenter but a tad wide for my brew fridge.

Haven't used an airlock for years. Agree with a double layer of clingwrap and a large rubber band.
My question is how you intend to run off whatever you have in it? You'd need to fit a tap, or else syphon it off in some way.
Terrific point - personally I'd look to fit one of those plastic taps Bunnings sell in the water container section, the thread on them should be long enough that by fitting a back nut and some washers (can make from silicon baking mat or just buy) - you should be able to get a water tight seal easy enough.

Alternatively you can buy plastic taps that come with with longer thread - that might be easier to fit - here's just an example:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384380866041
I stupidly read a few articles on folks who had issues with taps in their fermenters, so put the bungs back in mine and got syphons. EPIC mistake - ended up with so much more fuss, aerating things in transfer, syphons playing up etc.

Terrific point - personally I'd look to fit one of those plastic taps Bunnings sell in the water container section, the thread on them should be long enough that by fitting a back nut and some washers (can make from silicon baking mat or just buy) - you should be able to get a water tight seal easy enough.

Alternatively you can buy plastic taps that come with with longer thread - that might be easier to fit - here's just an example:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384380866041
I stupidly read a few articles on folks who had issues with taps in their fermenters, so put the bungs back in mine and got syphons. EPIC mistake - ended up with so much more fuss, aerating things in transfer, syphons playing up etc.
Ideally I'll find a fridge tall enoug for the Coopers fermenter I already own, but adapting a pail, as you suggest, that does fit would be a doable project. A tap would be most convenient - agreed.

Latest posts

Back