Is there any significant in using liquid malt extract and dry malt ext

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
In some extract brews the recipes can call for say

1.5 kg liquid light malt extract

and say 1 kg dry light malt extract to add to get the right OG

I buy my light malt extract by the 20kg bag to save costs

it can be an annoyance to have to buy some liquid extract when I can use an equivalent amount of dry

does it effect the flavour etc OR is that being picky

mind you I sometimes add liquid wheat malt extract because dry can sometimes not be in stock

1.5 kg liquid malt = 1.2 kg dry malt. Apart from that I haven't noticed any difference.

I was under the impression that apart from the quantity required of each, as stated by super stock, the only difference is that LME comes in more 'flavours'.

No real flavour difference I know of. I prefer dry as it's easier to get out of the packet, floats rather than sinks (helps stop burning) and has a longer shelf life. But I I've always substituted them.

I would say that for the basic run of the mill recipes either is fine.

LDME lets you use only part of the pack and store some more for later which is great, for starters or the next brew.

Liquid extract have their place. There are some great liquid extracts out there where you can vary things.

They are not all the same and for kit and extract brewers it's a great way to try different flavours for different beers.

That was my impression

Just thought it would be good to check

thanks

I had thought there might be more trub with dry malt , but maybe not

When doing extract brewing I just used light dry malt extract as a base for everything and then steeped grains to get the variations I required.

Dry malt is easy to handle and I used to split my 20kg bags down and store in vacuum sealed bags.

I store the bulk of my dry malt in 30 litre plastic containers and the rest in bags

Rod said:
I store the bulk of my dry malt in 30 litre plastic containers and the rest in bags
I've been vacuum bagging mine. You don't have any clumping issues using the 30l container?

No to speak of

maybe a few on the top which goes into the next boil

The lid on the container is very tight

Latest posts

Back