Is It Finished ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundee3012

Reaction score
Hi guys, Newbie to the site, I have been brewing for a few moths now and Decided to try a different kit. Went by the advise at the brew shopAnd seems that things aren't working. Kit was a coopers traditional draught with 1 kg of brewers choice ultra brewO.G 1035 after seven days F.G was 1020 over two days what has happened to my brew?Brew temp was at 20 deg I am used to using coopers lager with a O.G 1040 and a F.G of 1006Any help would be appreciated Thanks nath

its only been 4 or so days so I would not worry unless the gravity is the same after a few more days then start to look at ways to bring it down like rousing (without slashing) You can spin the fermenter side to side. Or you can try raise the temp a bit but wouldnt go over 22 deg. The last resort is adding a new fresh pack of yeast in the hope it will finish the rest off.

I've read about people gently shaking the fermenter to resuspend the yeast but worse thing to do is splash it all around so gently

Hi guys, Newbie to the site, I have been brewing for a few moths now and Decided to try a different kit. Went by the advise at the brew shopAnd seems that things aren't working. Kit was a coopers traditional draught with 1 kg of brewers choice ultra brewO.G 1035 after seven days F.G was 1020 over two days what has happened to my brew?Brew temp was at 20 deg I am used to using coopers lager with a O.G 1040 and a F.G of 1006Any help would be appreciated Thanks nath

hi, you would probably be looking for a Final Gravity of around 1006-1008. has the brew temperature dropped dramatically at all? say below 12C at night time, if so you may have a stuck ferment. +1 for spinning the fermenter to resuspend the yeast and also would pop it in the sun for a couple of hours or place iton a heat pad or use a heat belt.

If nothing works, then take off fermenter lid and with a very sterilised spoon give the brew a big stir all the way down to the bottom to wake the yeast up. if this doesnt work then add a new packet of yeast and will start going again.

cheers jake.

Thanks for the advise guys will give the spin tequnice a go today. Temp has been a steady
20 deg as I have it keept warm

hi, you would probably be looking for a Final Gravity of around 1006-1008. has the brew temperature dropped dramatically at all? say below 12C at night time, if so you may have a stuck ferment. +1 for spinning the fermenter to resuspend the yeast and also would pop it in the sun for a couple of hours or place iton a heat pad or use a heat belt.

cheers jake.

Jake, placing a fermenting beer in the sun is not a good idea, mate. You want to avoid UV light as much as possible.

Cheers.

Jake, placing a fermenting beer in the sun is not a good idea, mate. You want to avoid UV light as much as possible.

Cheers.

Ok thanks point taken, sorry for the missleading information. Though i have done this a few times while it has been wrapped in a towel and never had a problem.

Cheers jake.

Just an update guys checked my fg tonight and still sitting at 1020 after 9 days
Temp hasn't dropped below 20 deg as I control heat. The thing I'm stumped on is
If you loosen the lid (yes I know) there is
Still plenty of activity in there bubbling away happily. How long should I live it ??

Well I got the shits quite honestly waiting so I crashed chilled and keg it.
Was quite surprised. Thanks everyone for there help time to put down another one

Latest posts

Back