Is Belgium Cherry Lambic The Worst Beer You Can Drink

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time they made the Framboise was 1979 wasn't it? And I don't think that there are many more bottles of it floating around. Kulminator is out last I heard.

Hey Kook what about the Rose de Gambrinus? And incase you needed any more reasons to come visit me we've got 750's of the Lou Pepe Framboise at the moment. I had one on Christmas and it was tiring to say the least!

It probably goes against a bunch of forum codes.......... but we've got a good range of Cantillon (6 varieties), Boon (5 varieties), Timmermans (6 varieties), Lindemans (8 varities), Mort Subite (2 varieties), Rodenbach (2 varities), Duchesse de Borgogne, and the infamous Belle Vue (as well as some other funky stuff like De Dolle, T'ij, and countless Aussie micros) at The International Beer Shop if anyone wants to get their hands on something in the broad spectrum (intense/mellow/wild/sweet/dirty/refined/etc) of sour beers.

Had the cantillion 100% lambic kriek last night. Not as sour as I was expecting. The Bellvue Kriek is a much more palatable version of this and would be worth a try to those that can't hack the cantillion. I probably couldn't make it thru a whole bottle myself, so shared it with my father, thought it was an interesting beer and drank a glass of it, my sister, who didn't like the sourness and my mother who had one sip and declared it as the worst thing she'd ever tasted and refused to sample anymore beers for the night.

So going by that small test group, people who don't like Cantillion Kriek are most likely female (Big Girls Blouse) :p

Hey Kook what about the Rose de Gambrinus? And incase you needed any more reasons to come visit me we've got 750's of the Lou Pepe Framboise at the moment. I had one on Christmas and it was tiring to say the least!

It probably goes against a bunch of forum codes.......... but we've got a good range of Cantillon (6 varieties), Boon (5 varieties), Timmermans (6 varieties), Lindemans (8 varities), Mort Subite (2 varieties), Rodenbach (2 varities), Duchesse de Borgogne, and the infamous Belle Vue (as well as some other funky stuff like De Dolle, T'ij, and countless Aussie micros) at The International Beer Shop if anyone wants to get their hands on something in the broad spectrum (intense/mellow/wild/sweet/dirty/refined/etc) of sour beers.

They make (made?) a separate beer called Framboise. There were rumours recently of a re-release though.

I need to drop over - possibly on the weekend. Need to re-acquaint myself with Belgian Pale Ale as a style, and pick up some Lou Pepe while I'm at it!

In response to the PMs from those of you who know I will bite this hook,

"Is Belgium Cherry Lambic the worst beer you can drink ?"

Any beer called a lambic or has fruit in it is THE WORST beer you can drink.

Throw darts at me NOW !

In response to the PMs from those of you who know I will bite this hook,

"Is Belgium Cherry Lambic the worst beer you can drink ?"

Any beer called a lambic or has fruit in it is THE WORST beer you can drink.

Throw darts at me NOW !
No darts FG, but I'm sure someone at the Lowenbrau will spike your weizen with a shot of mango at the next AHB pubcrawl! We'll make sure of it! :icon_chickcheers:

I like fruit beers, but I don't think I'd do a session on them.

No darts FG, but I'm sure someone at the Lowenbrau will spike your weizen with a shot of mango at the next AHB pubcrawl! We'll make sure of it! :icon_chickcheers:

I like fruit beers, but I don't think I'd do a session on them.

Difference is - you add the fruit syrup after you have fermented, not before ! Its all in the timing !

Love a Lowenbrau mango weisen for breakfast - will have one at next crawl even if we don't start there !

I think the Cantillion Kriek and Gueuze are a great drop, though you need to be somewhat in the mood (like when at Cantillion itself). I liken the Gueuze to a Champagne.

The last time they made the Framboise was 1979 wasn't it? And I don't think that there are many more bottles of it floating around. Kulminator is out last I heard.

Just went to Platinum Cellars on wednesday and picked up the Rose De Gambrinus and Bio Lambic.
And they had a 2006 Framboise available.

Just went to Platinum Cellars on wednesday and picked up the Rose De Gambrinus and Bio Lambic.
And they had a 2006 Framboise available.

That would have been in the Lou Pepe range though wouldn't it? (2yo straight lambic blended with fruit at a higher amount/kg than normal).

That would have been in the Lou Pepe range though wouldn't it? (2yo straight lambic blended with fruit at a higher amount/kg than normal).
Dunno... but at $35 for 750ml of sourness, I decided I'll give it a miss and brew my own.

Just tried my Cantillon Bio Lambic last week. OMG, like sucking on a lemon.
Seriously, I struggled to drink 2/3 of this one. The last few gulps sadly went down the sink. I really hate doing that, especially with such a pricey beer.
Not saying it's the worst beer ever. Just a style I won't recreate here.

The rose de gambrinus was beautiful, on the other hand.

Had I thought of it, I would've recapped what I tipped out... but no great loss.

No idea whether it is considered a "good" one or not, but I just had a Timmermans kriek. I will not be trying it again primarily for two reasons: 1. cost, 2. to my uneducated palate it tastes an awful lot like what my father would call "lolly water". :ph34r:

Perfectly drinkable, but...well...meh.

I have a Timmermans framboise to try next.

At least Dans in Ballarat is starting to show a bit more variety than the usual wall of south-east asian lagers.

edit: gnilleps

You want the unsweetened ones. Brands to look out for: Cantillon, Oude Beersel, Boon, Liefmanns - all pretty awesome, although Cantillon is pretty full-on :)

Yes - my "suggest 5 beers list" placed Cantillon in the final 5...it is probably the only one I haven't got around to and will need to find an excuse to go to Melbourne to get it (it just feels wrong to have something like that sent by post).

It's funny because I was all prepared for a unique experience and yet might as well have drunk a brown brothers sparkly sweet red or something hee hee. Live and learn.

Something to remember with all Lambics is that they have been innoculated with bacteria will continue producing lactic acid etc, way beyond when they are released for sale. So, you will find a recent vintage of framboise, kriek etc, far more sweet & fruity than and older version...If you don't want a sour drink, try & drink them younger....

I don't consider myself as adventurous as some people here, but I loved Belle-Vue Kriek the first time I tried it. The wife didn't like it so I drank hers too.

I can't stand ciders by the way.

Mort Subite has a kriek that is a good entry point despite being sweeten and filtered, and can be found fairly easily. Timmermans Gueze is shed-loads better than their Kriek.

Something to remember with all Lambics is that they have been innoculated with bacteria will continue producing lactic acid etc, way beyond when they are released for sale. So, you will find a recent vintage of framboise, kriek etc, far more sweet & fruity than and older version...If you don't want a sour drink, try & drink them younger....

Ok - well the importer put their sticker over the back label of this so there isn't much I can read, but there is a printed date down the bottom that says 17/08/12. Presumably then, the closer it gets to this date the more sour it will become in the bottle? Will there be any signs in the bottle of the lactic acid production (trub layer etc?)?

edit: Winkle, I think they had that in stock (Gueze), I might try that tomorrow...I work with what I've got easy access to...um and my girlfriends money haha.

Back