Is Belgium Cherry Lambic The Worst Beer You Can Drink

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I went over to visit Tony whilst here on holidays, and he had a bottle of imported Belgium cherry lambic.

So naturally we cracked it open and poured ourselves a glass ..

Well all I can so was that it most probably the worst beer I have tasted..apart from a fully infected brew.

It was very tart ( made you suck your cheeks in ) and was generally horrible..We even tried to drink it with some nice hard aged chedar, which helped, but there was no way that either of us could finish it.

Tony said " mate, you dont have to finish it, because I know I wont be"...and we both agreed...never again.

It simply isn't for some tastes.

As for me, fruit lambic is probably one of my favourite styles.

I enjoy Kriek, though I think that the Lindemans are heavy on the artificial sweetener and it tastes a bit like cordial.

I once tipped a glass of Rodenbach Grand Cru, because I was trying it on an empty stomach, and it ended up like trying to drink a 330 glass of balsamic. But I am back on the horse now.

It gave me heartburn :lol: It was so sour and tart. Undrinkable for me as well.

Glad i can take the title of your worst beer experience mate :)

hope the others were ok?

That cheese was nice though.

cheers

I love the Kriek !

Why isn't this a poll ?....oh...pumpy didn't start it :(

I'm gradually working my way through the wonderful world of beers and trying all those romantic names I see on the forum all the time. Leffe Blonde - awesome. Genuine Czech - magnificent. KristallWeise - cat's piss. It was so dry and harsh in the finish that I had to wash my mouth out with a Melbourne Bitter to revive my shrivelled taste buds.

No doubt I'll get round to the Lambics eventually. So many beers, so little time :icon_cheers:

It gave me heartburn :lol: It was so sour and tart. Undrinkable for me as well.

Glad i can take the title of your worst beer experience mate :)

hope the others were ok?

That cheese was nice though.

cheers

Even that infected one you had on tap was infinetly better than Lambic... :unsure:

I love them.. i had a Timmermans Woudvruchten Fruits dl la foret the other night and it was supurb.

if you want a undrinkable beer try that chilli ******* of a beer. now that shit was undrinkable.

I also for the first time ever chucked a le trapp Quad ( big ceramic bottle one ) the other night as i think it was infected it tasted seriously of some kind of chemical.. i could only have a few mouthfulls and it was on the lawn.

and yea i have drank the quad before it didnt taste right at all.

Cheers vice

Ducatiboy stu

It would be helpful if you told us what actual beer you were talking about and who made it etc I love Kriek - Mort Subite being a truly good one as well as Timmermans. I agree about the Lindermans being a little on the saccrine sweet side! Sadly not all the fruit lambics are made with real fruit anymore :( I recently bought a Cantillon Kreik which I would say is probably the most hard core authentic Kriek around and couldnt finish it as it was so tart and dry. BUT it was true to style and history - I have read somewhere that back in the old old days they used to sweeten this beer (and the gueuze) with a cordial or sugar so as to make it more palatable.

So what beer were you actually sampling?

Just read somewhere that Mort Subite uses fruit syrup??! Who are the traditional brewers apart from Cantillon?

Boon, Girardin, Oude Beersel? Dunno how much of them get over here :unsure: .

Yep..That was the one Tony served..

The Label stated it had some incredible amount of fruit per Litre...and they were not joking

I recently bought a Cantillon Kreik which I would say is probably the most hard core authentic Kriek around and couldnt finish it as it was so tart and dry. BUT it was true to style and history

Tart and dry is a bit of an understatement..

But at least we tried....and tried HARD.. :icon_cheers:

Personally, some good hard pecorino are mersyvale club cheese would have been rather nice with it.. :rolleyes:

Wash your mouths out, you 3 (incl. WJ)
Cantillon puts out some of the most complex and incredible beers in the world - yeah they are tart, but thats how they are meant to be. Hell, even kids like the sour warhead lollies, and they are a mile tarter than anything cantillon puts out. At the end of the day, it is horses for courses, and if ya dont like em, then dont complain about how much they suck, just dont drink em ;)
Hope ya's had a few other nice ones to wash the taste out, at least you will save money in future by not buying anything in the sour vein - leaves ya's more money for things like Duvel or Rochefort. Mind you, if ya had tried the raspberry one, it may have turned you onto sour beers for life.
T.

Latest posts

Back