Irish Moss (whirlflock)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc said:
If you have a set of scales accurate for measuring cocaine then they should be accurate enough for weighing irish moss/whirlfloc/koppafloc.

Gotta love using Jamilz quotes :p

Doc
[post="117322"][/post]​

Ooookay... So you're that kind of Doctor, Doc? :lol:

Actually listened to the Jamil show the other day... His insights on Ordinary Bitter wern't too bad I must admit. :beerbang:

'Scuse the OT.

Warren -

Hi,
I've just started on the slippery slop of partials and have started to use irish moss, but I bought a pack from Brewcraft and the stuff is not in a tablet form, but looks like dried moss flakes. I've been adding about 1 teaspoon of the stuff to each boil for about 15mins boil.
Is the whirlfloc stuff any different? Am I adding the correct amount of the flakes?

Thanks in advance
AC

Doc said:
warrenlw63 said:
I heat mine on a bit of foil or a spoon ... Nah, forget that. :lol:

If you have a set of scales accurate for measuring cocaine then they should be accurate enough for weighing irish moss/whirlfloc/koppafloc.

Gotta love using Jamilz quotes :p

Doc
[post="117322"][/post]​

LOL :D

I usually prep my hop additions in little bowls(Like the poxy TV chefs) and bung 1/2 a tab in the flavour hops bowl so I don't forget. Perhaps don't rack and make a Heffedunkelweizen?

poppa joe said:
I found some Irish Moss.in a sealed packet...from years ago..
Has to be nearly 30 yrs old
Whats my chances../????????????????
Pj
[post="117327"][/post]​

What would that make it <_< 1976

PJ I would not trust anything they were selling in tablet form in those Psychedelic days :blink:

Pumpy

chillamacgilla73 said:
I usually prep my hop additions in little bowls(Like the poxy TV chefs) and bung 1/2 a tab in the flavour hops bowl so I don't forget.
[post="117378"][/post]​

Me too. Easy to remember. :D

Gerard, being the good drug pusher he is, gave me a taste of this for free earlier this year, and now I can't live without. :eek:

I used Whirlfloc for the first time yesterday. I added half a tablet to 26-27 ish litres at 15 mins (with a hop addition). After reading this thread can someone explain "it helps with the hot break"? Am I meant to see something different when ive chilled the wort and transferred it to the fermenter? Extra gunk in the bottom of the kettle?
Cheers
Steve

G'day Steve, the particles in the whirlfloc (seaweed) have a negative electrical charge and attract the positively charged particles in the beer causing a better hot break. :D

G'day Steve, the particles in the whirlfloc (seaweed) have a negative electrical charge and attract the positively charged particles in the beer causing a better hot break. :D

..but the hot break occurs at the beginning of the boil and we add whirlfloc in the last 15 mins? :huh:

I use a half a tablespoon with about 10-15 left in the boil. I've used it for every one of my batches so I can't really say how well it works! Maybe when I repeat my latest DIPA recipe I'll leave it out...

The 'hot break' means when the proteins come togerther and drop out of the boiling wort, not when the boiling commences. This can take a little while to occur after the boiling commences. By adding the whirfloc, more of the proteins will clump together ('hot break').

Righto - makes sense now :D
Cheers
Steve

Oi Devo!! Too much. :blink:

I've found that 1/4 of a tab (crushed) in a 40 litre batch does the job really well. Being a tightarse that gives me satisfaction that my packet of tabs will last 20 brews as opposed to 5. :lol:

I'll bet your beers are super clear though. B)

Warren -

Oi Devo!! Too much. :blink:

I've found that 1/4 of a tab (crushed) in a 40 litre batch does the job really well. Being a tightarse that gives me satisfaction that my packet of tabs will last 20 brews as opposed to 5. :lol:

I'll bet your beers are super clear though. B)

Warren -

Actually they do come out very clear. The reason I use a whole tab is that I used to only put in a 1/2 tab when doing 23lt batches so doulbled to amount when upscaling to 45lt. :blink:

I racked my AG Kolsch yesterday that I mentioned earlier. I used half a tab of irish moss for the first time. I noticed whilst racking that the wort was so bloody clear. You could see the bottom of the fermenter with still half of the wort to be racked. Is this because of the Irish moss or the yeast i used? My wyeast kolsch starter didnt fire so I ended up using an emergency packet of SO4. Tasted bloody nice too. :D
Cheers
Steve

I racked my AG Kolsch yesterday that I mentioned earlier. I used half a tab of irish moss for the first time. I noticed whilst racking that the wort was so bloody clear. You could see the bottom of the fermenter with still half of the wort to be racked. Is this because of the Irish moss or the yeast i used? My wyeast kolsch starter didnt fire so I ended up using an emergency packet of SO4. Tasted bloody nice too. :D
Cheers
Steve

That's SO4 for you Steve - clears really bright very quickly after ferment finishes & forms a nice compact yeast cake.

cheers Ross

After reading this thread, I used Irish Moss for the first time last Saturday on an AG Kolsch.

When draining the kettle (after whirlpooling), the first runnings had some break material. After a litre or two, it was crystal clear until the last few litres where the break became evident again.

My question - will the irish moss continue to do it's thing in the fermenter with the break ending up in the trub?

Thanks in advance

Q

Hey Q. I think you will find that everything that needs to floc out has done so in the kettle. Any thing that carries over to the fermenter will drop out with the yeast sediment. :D

Latest posts

Back