IPA extract recipe - feedback wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rglnz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have come up with an extract recipe for an IPA that I would like some feedback on. Im still pretty new, done a few kits, and an extract Porter from a recipe, so this is my first go at coming up with my own recipe. I have run it through the spreadsheet, but would be good to see if you guys pick up on anything that looks like it doesnt sit right, or any tweaks I can put on it to improve it before I brew up.

3.4 kg Black Rock unhopped Amber LME
1kg Light DME

200g Light crystal

40g Cascade @60mins
35g Nugget @10mins
35 g Willamette @5mins
10g Cascade @0mins
10g Willamette @0mins

20g Willamette or Nugget (or a combo??) Dry hop

Boil volume - not sure, any suggestions? pros/cons of boiling more/less

Batch volume 23l

Yeast - US05, I am thinking I will add 2 packs, as I never quite seem to reach my target FG, will this help?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

The recipe looks OK to me, Personally I'd use 1 tin Light Malt and 1 tin Amber.
Boil volume will depend on your equipment. Boil as large as you can with 10% volume of Malt for your hop boil.
Steep your grain in 2 litres of 60-70c water...2/3 boil 1/3 tap will get you close. Drain and add liquid to your boil ( or boil for 10 minutes seperateley to kill any bugs).
2 packs of yeast is probably overkill, 1 pack should handle the job.If in doubt chack with Mr.Malty or other pitching rate calculator.

Thanks for that. what do you mean by 10% volume of malt for hop boil? My plan was to just steep the grains in my boil volume, then bring to boil, and do hop additions. Or is that not as effective?

Don't add all your extract to the boil at the start. Just put in 10% of the extract. If you put it all in at the start the extract will darken changing the colour of the beer.

Most brewers will have 2 vessels for extract brewing. 1 on which they boil the extract in and add the hops and the second in which they steep spec grains.
Steep the grains as you are doing the boil and hop additions. Then when you have 10 mins left on the boil strain the spec grain liquid into the boil vessel along with remaining extract. Stir like bejeebus to make sure it all dissolves.
Cool, Add to fermentor and top up with water to 23L.

Cheers for the info, im pretty new, so all this is news to me.

I will try the 10% malt into my hop boil. I have been told that adding the malt extract into a boiling pot is not such a good thing as it can burn, especially LME. in the past i have taken the pot off the boil, added the extract and stirred it in then returned to the boil. any ideas?

Can do that no problem. Idea there being that if the pot is on the stovetop or burner then any extract that's sinks to the bottom without diluting into the wort will scorch. Probably not bad advice.
Key to it is stirring it up and making sure it all dissolves and fresh extract.

ok, that makes sense. Will that mess with getting the right amount of bittering /flavour etc out of my hops if I boil them, but then take it off the boil momentarily to avoid burning the extract as I add it?

no mate. Should be fine so long as its not off the boil for a long time. Preparations will help, Ie have the can and can opener ready so your not running around the house looking for things while the wort cools but just mix it in and stir then add back to the heat. Should really be talking a matter of mins if even that.

Good thread, and as a fellow noob I'm impressed to see you give this a go. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers, will do. Am going to buy the supplies next week and put it down, so ill keep ya posted

Latest posts

Back