Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
24L batch - Estimated gravity was 1.045 actual ended up at 1.050 ... I'd aimed for an efficiency of 70% based on what I'd read in various places and I was fairly surprised when I ended up with 84%.

I take it back... i just transfered the wort to the fermenter and got a reading of 1.048 (12.4 Brix). That's an efficiency of 81%.

Congrats CTK :super: , Yes, AG is suprisingly simple, it's a shame people get scared of it & take so long to give it a try - they then usually regret not having made the transistion long before. If you haven't seen an AG brew being done, post to the forum asking to be invited somewhere local to watch - Ag is simple, can be done very cheaply, & opens you to the full delights of this wonderful hobby...

cheers Ross

I cant agree more with Ross's sudgestion here. After reading very a very long time about AG I still was unsure of the method. I went to an AG demo and it made everything so much clearer.

SAH aka Scott invited me over about a month ago and put down a batch so i could see how it all worked. At that time I was in the initial stages of getting the gear together, and i'd predicted that I was about 3-4 months off actually putting down my first batch. But after seeing it all in action I really got myself into gear and got it all sorted.

Cheers

Hi people,

I used to do a few home brews many years ago - reasonable drinking, but used to run out of time. I now have more time available and with the wealth of information available on sites like here I intend to get into it again. Also the k&k's available now are far better than they were way back when.

Looking forward to life on the forum.

Cheers,

David

microbe,

welcome to the forum - There's a very active brewing circle down the goldcoast. where abouts are you?

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross,

Nearby Dreamworld, at Upper Coomera.

Thanks Ross,

Nearby Dreamworld, at Upper Coomera.

Mate, you're only 15/20 mins from my place - you are welcome to come over for a beer or 2... :party:

cheers Ross

Hi there,
My name is reg an I am an alco..... oops sorry wrong forum.
I have been brewing off and on for a couple of years and am looking to go into extract brewing soon and then hopefully AG by the end of the year.
I live in Melbourne and really enjoy this site.

Cheers
Reg

Relatively new to this forum but havent introduced myself properly.

DrSmurto, a lowly K&K brewer. Live in Campbelltown, Adelaide. Have been brewing for many years but moved away (sans brewing equpiment) to the UK for a few years. Living up in the north of England (Durham) i fell in love with ales and with many avid ale drinkers started a regular ale crawl thru town. Convinced me on my return to Adelaide to get all the HB gear out of the mates shed and restart the hobby.

Everyone seems very willing to help out everyone and the number of ideas for recipes i have and improvements to my technique have been incredible. Did my first bulk prime before xmas and my beer now has a head!

Keep up the good work and next time an AGer is hosting a brew day somewhere in or near Adelaide, i am keen to learn firsthand from some of the masters on here.

Cheers and beers
DrSmurto

Mate, you're only 15/20 mins from my place - you are welcome to come over for a beer or 2... :party:

cheers Ross

Thanks again Ross,

by my reckoning that puts you round about that big building @ Yatala? :p

I might just do that - maybe on a brew day? I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

My name is Dan,31, Live in Glenmore Park,NSW(Near Penrith)
Have been thinking about trying a home brew for a while now, so went out this afternoon and got myself a Coopers brewing kit, and a brew is now underway.

The kit uses a VCR tape, who uses these nowadays, so couldnt watch that, although have found a couple on the Tooheys website.

Hopefully all will go well.

Dan

hi all,
a new brewer here, just put down my first coopers K&K yesterday, after being introduced to HB by a mate. thought "bugger it, i can make this much grog for half the price of the commercial crap, why not?"
The missus also decided i need a hobby, im not sure she's realised her mistake yet. the spare fridge has been commandeered for brewing duties and im now on the lookout for as many bottles as possible :)

have spent the last month or more soaking up this site, basic brewing radio casts and of course, GLS's crazy brew-casts.

Even my (5 yold) young bloke wants me to show him "how to make beer, dad?"
A good sign, im sure :D

Joel -Mudgee

Hi, my name is Reece, long time reader, first time contributor.

I am based in Sunny Downtown Alice Springs, home of the VB and Fruity Gordo Moselle casks. I feel that I may be the only brewer in the Alice, so if there is anyone else out there let me know. There must be someone.

I have been brewing only for about five months and went straight to AG and I am loving it.

I am interested to hear from anyone who is in the Alice Springs area, including Tennant Creek, Katherine, Darwin, Gove, hey maybe even Adelaide.

Cheers,

Reece

Welcome Reece,

Geez, your gonna get some visitors. Wish you'd registered before I was last through there, an AG brewer in the Alice, shit we need a drum roll or something, notify the journo's and TV docco people. Good on YOU! Best beer in the centre of OZ. Wish you all the very best Mate!

Cheers

gidday, new here and thought i'd say gidday. the tag is plooky, and i guess i been brewing since 2003. went off the boil for a year or two and now back into it fully. first batch i made was a really rough (paint thinner) indian ale/bitter (can't remember which, but it was a coopers and i recently used a stubbie to remove some oil i spilled on the old's driveway). next was a cool canadian blonde and a coupla nice bitters (trying to emulate vb). now i'm at the old's, big garage and plenty of time on my hands, so back into it again. at the moment got a knk of coopers draught in the mix. i got a batch of the coopers pale ale special pack (the one with the green label) in bottles in the shed at the moment too.

to make them i've used a 1 kg of brew enhanser 2 and 500 g of light malt extract ( don't really know why, but i thought it may add a little body to the beer... i hate bland 'alcohol water' beer), and obviously tipped the can mix in. the smell of both of them has been great (the first batch, the coopers pale ale, actually smells pretty close to pale ale) and the current draught smells ok too.

anyway, im new here (what an awesome resource!) and thought i'd say hello.

cheers and, well, cheers,

plooky

Welcome, plooky.

You're right - you've stumbled onto a terrific resource here.

Using extra LME will add a little body but reading here will make you want to try other ways of doing things.

:beer:

cheers

microbe

How do! I like pina coladas, and getting caught in the - hang on, wrong site!

Been brewing kits for 12 months now, nothing at all fancy (yet), bought a secondary fermenter before xmas (happy days), and aim to expand as quickly as I can without the missus and three kids catching on.

I'm a sucker for pilsner-style beers and lagers when purchasing the tailor-mades, but haven't got my head around the best one to brew for myself... too busy looking at all the other nice brews to sample.

Done the obligatory Coopers Lager can, a cerveza, some pale ales (the pick of my limited prowess so far), a cider for the missus... thinking a stout next, but have been waiting for a cooler turn to the weather (couple of dyas of rain might have me away again!).

Like to drink my creations in front of the Supercar racing... used to play in a very drunken covers band as part of my misspent twenties... now work in sales for a multinational quarrying and mining equipment manufacturer... that's about me I guess...

dave from coochiemudlo island Queensland brother jeddog got me into this........
CHEERS

AAHHHHHHHH DAVE!! 100_2060.JPG
A man of many words...................welcome to the world of homebrew websites ( well the only worth while homebrew website)

all the best

Jeddog (Bear)

dave from coochiemudlo island Queensland brother jeddog got me into this........
CHEERS

Welcome Captainevad - You are a close neighbour - what sort of brewing are you doing?

Cheers Ross

Alrighty,

Just stumbled across this site and I have to say the depth & frequency of posts and topics covered is impressive, particularly in the context of Aussie home brewing.

My name's Stewart, 32 years of age, Melbourne based. I have to admit that I now buggar all about home brewing but my interest in quality beers is driven through my ownership of the Cloudwine Cellar wine and beers stores in Melbourne. Craft beer is a growing part of our business so I'm always keen to see what the punters are drinking and thinking about. Substantially all of my contributions to the on-line world has been limited to ratebeer.com (and to a lesser degree beeradvocate.com) so its great to find a new sit with such depth.

Please yell out if you are ever in the store.

cheers

Welcome Stew! Cloudwine is certainly one of the great Melbourne bottle-shops for the rare beer lover. I know you've made many a post regarding beer reviews, I can't remember which site though - Ratebeer.com maybe? I went to uni with your Cloudwine off-sider, Chris - tell him Buggers says g'day!

I'll say hi next time I'm in your way. Welcome to the forums, looking forward to a few of your impressions of new brews coming out.

Cheers

Well, thats a great way to piss somebody off...

Wrote up a great big introduction post, and hit reply, and it never worked :blink:

ahh well, I'll post the condensed version of it again :p

G'day, my names Justin King, and I'm a 20 (nearly 21) year old 4th year uni student living in tassie, studying a joint bachelor of computing/diploma of network engineering.

I have been brewing for a bit over a year now, and have recently started extract brewing after getting sick of boring K+K brews. Hopefully will give partial mashing a go soon after I get a bit more experience extract brewing.

Have always been a beer drinker ever since I started drinking. Started off on the standard aussie mega-lagers, but after I started brewing my own, I soon acquired a taste for the better things in life, and can now hardly stand the watery swill that CUB/Lion Nation produce

Got onto this site mainly via PostModern's constant referencing from the OCAU homebrew thread :p

Anyway, thats about it really, so cheers, and heres to many more wonderful homebrews! :party:

i will keep it short and simple I am 25 from newcastle lookin for a homebrew club that holds meetings around the area but seems no 1 knows of any

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back