Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,
Duane's my name. Been lurking around this forum for quite
a while now and thought I had better say hello.
I live on the Central Coast N.S.W. and have been brewing for about 2 years.
Hadn't even thought about AG till I found this forum. Once here the step to the dark side
was reached very quickly, and my beer has never been better. :beerbang:
I dont post that often as the search bar has helped me with most of my queries.

Thanks to all.
Cheers, Duane :beer:

Welcome simonl75 already adding extras and using better yeast, you'll taste the difference and be on your way.

Welcome Bonj, better talk to Santa re the keg setup, or maybe contact Ross at Craftbrewer instead, you might just get em for nothing if you order in December. Check out his Xmas give away.

Welcome Bonj,

if you want to see how easy an AG brew is to do, you are more than welcome to come over & watch the proocess - Just drop me a line to [email protected]

Welcome to all the other new members as well :beer:

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross, I will email you.

G'day folks, my names Michael from Aldinga Beach, deep within the deserts of SA.... oh well enough of the dramatics.

Looking forward to being an active participant and contributor. Just started my very first brew at 3PM today, some Brewcraft Super Stout they threw in with the kit (uses Blackrock Miner's Stout and a coupla other things). Searching the forums to see if anyone has done anything special with that. Made a mistake though i think, besides putting in the full 1.5kg of malt extract i also put in the full 0.5kg of corn syrup by accident, along with the 15ml of liquorice, touch wood it turns out reasonably for a first brew.

Cheers all.

G'day Judgie, welcome. You live in the right state as far as craftbrewing is concerned. Some great brewers and suppliers, get yourself networked with the locals. Also a good name that - Michael, had one just like that given to me.

Also a good name that - Michael, had one just like that given to me.

WE all know that the the next ruler and world dominator WILL be named Stu

We just have to get sober enough to work out which one of us it is going to be.. :chug:

And welcome all new brewers......cant beleive we are above 3500 members.... B)

Hello from the UK
It's great to see such an active homebrew forum (even bigger than the American ones!!!!)

I've been AG for about a month now, I love corny kegs & my Keggerator whilst the HERMS system is nearly finished. Photos of all my equip & brewblog are here if you'd like to see it's all stainless apart from the mash tun - http://mattwillmott.blogspot.com & I look forward to seeing everybody elses setups and nicking your great ideas :)

cheers
Matt
BSc Microbiology

Hi Lads,
Name is neophyte (aka Jason) Adelaide boy and work at a Vintage Cellars.
Very keen on things that ferment. The reason for stepping into the world of brewing?
Well lets just say that after trying most beers on the market, the only beers worth drinking
are the ones that cost much and are fussed over at the brewery.
Great wine is far to overpriced.

Not long ago jumped right in and tried a partial mash straight up. Just call me lucky cos that
english pale ale was a cracker! (thankyou Fuggles) Since then have been getting
my AG stuff together (thanks Don) and doing a few more partials.

Never married or had kids (i'm 35 and far to childish) have a wonderful, gorgeous beer drinking girlfriend
who has one 12 year old daughter. They are both angry as hell (which is the source
of much amusement).

Alchemy and all things esoteric are my life and love.
Fantastic forum and site. Have learnt so much already (Ross and the Doc). Bloody champions!!!!!!!!

G'day all,

I am James a computer tech, I Live in geelong Victoria and have been
brewing for (wait for it) 2 weeks, first brew was a kilkenny clone (currently in bottle) and the second
is a VB clone (In the Fermenter) ... When I told my father about my new adventure he bought me a keg set
great huh! tho it does entitle him to free beer for life! so not a bad deal! :)
so now i am waiting for that to arrive, I am just teeing up the gas and a fridge at the moment.
Looking forward to being an active member.

James :chug:

Welcome James!,

Nice score on the keg system, not bad at all! Ill be lucky if i get one next year! Good luck with your brewing and welcome to AHB. Bloody fantastic place, got me not knowing what a hydrometer was to AG in 9 months :D :beerbang:

Brew on,

Blake

Great start, ozjames.

Of course you understand that by joining this board, it guarantees all members free beer from you for life... :beerbang:

Welcome, and I look forward to tasting your beer.

WJ

Hi All,

G'day from the Gold Coast. Have brewed on and off for six years since a neighbour introduced me to his cheap and not nasty brew. Haven't ventured further than Kit with variations of DME and steeped hops, but hoping to take some steps this year (partial mash or specialty grains). Still bottling but thats good for when my workmates want to have a couple for the weekend.

Love living on the Coast with my wife and three kids (7, 4 & 1). Look forward to discussing ideas and issues on the board and maybe even meeting and sharing brew with a few of you. :beer:

Cheers,

Mike

Welcome Mike, you must acknowledge by joining and reading these forums you'll start rolling down that inevitable hill towards AG.

Keep reading and soon enough you'll be teaching your neighbour a thing or two!

Welcome Mike, you must acknowledge by joining and reading these forums you'll start rolling down that inevitable hill towards AG.

Keep reading and soon enough you'll be teaching your neighbour a thing or two!

Thanks Adam,

I don't know how I haven't found this place earlier. I've been skulking about on a US Yahoo HB Group but all the talk is in pounds and Fahrenheit - that together with the mash - sparge - boil - grain bill etc seems overwhelming most of the time.

I'm sure by spending some time here I'll pick up some useful tips. I noticed a Brisbane group starting up now that I'm interested in going along to.

Cheers

microbe,

welcome to the forum - There's a very active brewing circle down the goldcoast. where abouts are you?

cheers Ross

Morning all

I've been brewing for over year now. I've got all the k & k batches I've made listed here http://hyperfox.info/beer01.htm

I've spent a great deal of time on the http://homebrewandbeer/forum/ forum, and finally made the transition here when I got serious about moving to all grain (also the no-chiller method was a big incentive).

Yesterday I put down my first AG - this was the recipe

92.9% 4.60 kg. IMC Ale Malt 1.038
7.1% 0.35 kg. Crystal 60L 1.034
10.00 g. Pacific Gem Pellet 14.00% 14.0 35 min.
15.00 g. Pacific Gem Pellet 14.00% 25.4 60 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 9.3 30 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 6.0 15 min.

24L batch - Estimated gravity was 1.045 actual ended up at 1.050
I bumped up the IBU's to 51

The only other additions were about 12g of Gypsum and 1/4 of a teaspoon of citric acid.

I'd aimed for an efficiency of 70% based on what I'd read in various places and I was fairly surprised when I ended up with 84%. I ended up adding another 10g of hops @ 35mins to bump up the bitterness - after coming to the realisation that a higher efficiency meant a higher opening gravity.

The english special bitter is now extra special :p

I started at 7am and finished cleaning at 12.30 - with a fair bit of stuffing around.

AG is way easier than I thought it'd be - but I'd better taste the beer before I jump to conclusions.

Cheers

Congrats CTK :super: , Yes, AG is suprisingly simple, it's a shame people get scared of it & take so long to give it a try - they then usually regret not having made the transistion long before. If you haven't seen an AG brew being done, post to the forum asking to be invited somewhere local to watch - Ag is simple, can be done very cheaply, & opens you to the full delights of this wonderful hobby...

cheers Ross

Congrats CTK :super: , Yes, AG is suprisingly simple, it's a shame people get scared of it & take so long to give it a try - they then usually regret not having made the transistion long before. If you haven't seen an AG brew being done, post to the forum asking to be invited somewhere local to watch - Ag is simple, can be done very cheaply, & opens you to the full delights of this wonderful hobby...

cheers Ross

I cant agree more with Ross's sudgestion here. After reading very a very long time about AG I still was unsure of the method. I went to an AG demo and it made everything so much clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back