Intertap vs perlick taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding from reading up is that you cannot use auto close springs with flow control. Not sure of pros and cons otherwise yet to set mine up.
Have a Perlick 650SS at home that I plan on fitting to my beer fridge little nervous about putting a hole though the side of it. Was considering buying a SS intertap without flow control as a second tap just to compare in the near future, figure I can always change the tap itself later as funds are more available if unhappy.

Did read somewhere I'm pretty sure that the older Perlick's did have a some issues was a bad batch or some such, may explain some of the issues people have had.

All taps do require maintenance, if not you will get a build up of gunk and eventual dripping. I have Perlick flow controls and find it necessary to replace the sealing O rings every 6-8 months. You can buy the O rings from a O ring supplier for only a few cents each.

I like the look of Rota Taps but for the price I don't think I'll be changing my Perlicks out anytime soon.

Agree with Batz, i've got two 650ss which are 3 years old and two which are about 2 years old. Only one dripper, bout time to do the rings i suspect. Also have one non flow control Intertap which I use on a portable rig. It exceeded my expectations. Both are good, perlicks seems to be much better finished as you would expect, but the inter's are not shabby.

I think it comes down to personal preference. Im glad i chose the intertap as it does what its supposed to do, and does it well. It pours beer! And it didnt cost me 80-100 for the tap on its own. If you had a flashy font setup on a custom bar i can see the allure of something flashy like a perlick or celli but seriously, for a tap in a fridge the intertap is a good choice. As for the flow control the only time ive found it necessary has been when ive slightly over carbed some how and needed a beer in a hurry. A properly balanced line shouldnt need a flow control valve but its a nice feature to have just in case to get you out of trouble

Everyone will have their own opinion but within the group of brewers and retailers that I know there seems to be a general agreement that Perlicks are decent taps; Intertaps seem to have mixed reviews.

Personally I wouldn't switch to Intertaps having seen them foam and drip, sitting side-by-side with Perlicks at a bar I visited recently.

I have just picked up another couple of Perlick 650SS from Amazon for just under AUD $160 shipped for a portable setup + my future fridge expansion. Substantially more than I paid for my first 3, but still well under any local pricing I've seen.

Under the advice of Anthony from CB I removed the spring from my intertap SS.
How do you do that?

I've just ordered another intertap from HBHB to alternate with my stout tap. I took the restrictor plate out of the stout tap but on CO2 it's still a bit foamy for my regular brews.

Well I've done the full upgrade on the fridge, got all my shiny stuff delivered on Monday and it's now all in and operational, so the upgrades were

Replaced the cheap chrome plated crap I've been using for 10 years with all brand new ss fc intertaps ( one with stout adapter) + all new stainless shafts, went from 2 taps to 3 and replaced all lines along with a 4 way gas manifold and all new gas lines!

I've gotta say I'm pretty damn happy with the intertaps, they pour great, no leaks and they look pretty nice too, only dilemma I have is the fridge has room for 1 more tap and now all I have to do is convince myself that I actually need it[emoji23]

How do you do that?

I've just ordered another intertap from HBHB to alternate with my stout tap. I took the restrictor plate out of the stout tap but on CO2 it's still a bit foamy for my regular brews.

IIRC, it is around the stopper that moves down the barrel.

It's still prone to foam outside the tap if pressure is too high, but anything else would have the same problem. At lower pressure it pours brilliantly and as a British beer puller, it leaves a lovely head.

Thanks, will dismantle and have a look.
My new tap will probably be gen. 2 so I'll look at that as well.

Anyone have any trouble with their fc intertaps foaming and if so how did you remedy it, could be I just need to get used to the new setup but even when I adjust the flow right down it still foams, not as bad though

Anyone have any trouble with their fc intertaps foaming and if so how did you remedy it, could be I just need to get used to the new setup but even when I adjust the flow right down it still foams, not as bad though
I have non FC SS Intertaps which started foaming due to the O ring behind the nozzle shitting it's self . Replaced it and all good for a few months then it happened again so I hoyed the O ring altogether and haven't had a problem since.

I worked it out, was just getting used to the new setup after all. I was a touch over carbed and pouring pressure was slightly high which obviously with my old taps didn't matter as much so I let out some pressure earlier and turned the pouring pressure down slightly and voila perfect pour, so happy it was that simple!

Cheers [emoji482]

Not much info around, but did the Perlick 690SS ever make it here? FC with creamer.
https://www.perlick.com/commercial/...ng-flow-control-with-push-back-creamer-faucet

im in the market for a addtional tap to my 2 perlick 650ss. ive just seen a couple of australian retails listing the perlick 680 (creamer tap) but havent found anyone with the 690 (creamer and FC). im specifically after a tap for darks/stouts. didnt really want to go to intertap if i didnt have too....will hunt some more.. a 650SS with a stout faucett like the 545 would be great..

im in the market for a addtional tap to my 2 perlick 650ss. ive just seen a couple of australian retails listing the perlick 680 (creamer tap) but havent found anyone with the 690 (creamer and FC). im specifically after a tap for darks/stouts. didnt really want to go to intertap if i didnt have too....will hunt some more.. a 650SS with a stout faucett like the 545 would be great..

Bracton in Sydney manufacture a Perlick 650ss with a stout nozzle. They are pretty pricy though.

Back