International Work

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenos

Reaction score
We are talking about doing a stint O/S and no I don't mean the bug island north of me.

My resume is I have a Bsc Chemistry and have worked in a steel works lab and now working in an environmental analytical lab, also high level IT, problem solving and supervision.

Family to consider are wife and 4 kids aged 9,7,5,4

What are your experiences?

I thought you might be a dentist judging by your avatar ;)

Sorry, nothing meaningful to contribute.

We are talking about doing a stint O/S and no I don't mean the bug island north of me.

My resume is I have a Bsc Chemistry and have worked in a steel works lab and now working in an environmental analytical lab, also high level IT, problem solving and supervision.

Family to consider are wife and 4 kids aged 9,7,5,4

What are your experiences?

Worked in the USA for ten years as IT "professional". Had a great deal of fun over that time, it was actually hard coming back home, but the American wife loved Australia so much on her first visit here she insisted on us returning.

Having the kids is going to be the hardest part about going OS to work I think, seems they are getting to be the age where their friends and consistency in school would be important. Our daughter was 5 when we moved back here, so it did not impact her so much, now that she is 9, I think it would be tough.

If the company you are planning to work for makes the package worth while, it could be a boon financially for you and your family though. Lots to weigh out.

John

Like countless others I've done the working holiday in London. It was the best year of my life.
The working holiday visa didn't give much options apart from labouring/bar work back then, but there's plenty of employers who like "hard working" Aussies, and are willing to bend the rules for a those with a trade.
My wife cried when we left to fly home. She didn't want to leave.

I guess having knowledge in another language/culture would be helpful, otherwised you are practically confined to USA/UK/NZ.

I'm thinking about doing this sometime in life, hopefully to cement in the Japanese I learnt at uni (and am rapidly forgetting). I'm guessing it would be a lot harder to do something like this with wife/kids, especially having a big family like you have.

Having Chem and IT qualifications would keep quite a few options for you though I would think.

only brief stints without SWMBO :) It's great!! Do it!

No work experience to share, but have traveled Europe and would love to go back to a few places and work a while.
I'd be pretty happy in Sweden, even more so somewhere in southern Germany(pref Munich), language is a problem tho.

I say do it!

Latest posts

Back