Interesting read on grain crush.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a read of this last night - I find it strange that both batches hit the same OG. It's generally accepted that a finer crush will give a better yield but introduces the risk of a stuck sparge.
It's especially odd given that the first iteration of this xbmt showed a drastic difference in batches when crush was course vs fine. That being said, the first iteration missed its target OG by a full 20 points so there could have been a process error by the brewer that influenced the results.

mtb said:
Had a read of this last night - I find it strange that both batches hit the same OG. It's generally accepted that a finer crush will give a better yield but introduces the risk of a stuck sparge.
It's especially odd given that the first iteration of this xbmt showed a drastic difference in batches when crush was course vs fine. That being said, the first iteration missed its target OG by a full 20 points so there could have been a process error by the brewer that influenced the results.
I thought the same thing when I read it, but worth noting the different method between the two, in the latter he no sparged, fairly certain in the original once he batch sparged back then but I can't clearly tell...

Another interesting point of difference in the first run of the experiment is the drastically different FG and end product whereas the second experiment this was not the case.

Clearly not so black and white with all the variables.

This also looks like it was a full volume mash with no mash out or sparge which may be more likely to introduce tannins into the wort.

The method used would be the least likely of all to extract tannins if my understanding that temp, time and pH are the biggest factors is correct.

It would be interesting to see the method repeated on a standard 3V system to see what impact it had on mash and tannin extraction.

Interesting food for thought.

Back