Interesting Brew Carbonation In Fermentor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker

Reaction score
Hi, I've got two brews going at the moment.

Coopers Sparkling Ale
1/2 tin of liquid light malt
300gms dextrose
200 gms light dry malt
100gms corn syrup
Safale US -05 yeast
SG 1046
FG 1012
Guess at alcohol 5.1%

Morgans Indian Pale Ale
1/2 tin of liquid malt
300gms dextrose
200gms light dry malt
100grms corn syrup
Sg 1046
Fg 1012
Same alcohol content

I have done the FG readings today brew has been on for 10 days. Temp between 24 and 18 best I could manage with both in tubs of water with ice and fans blowing on them.

The interesting part of this long winded ramble is that I taste tested both today at temp of 22 degrees and both are very carbonated lots of bubbles in the brew taste great. I have never had a brew that is this carbonated when in the fermentor.

I was wondering if this level of carbonation means that the fermentation process is still going even thou the hydrometor reading is at a constant 1012. Have done previous checks last couple of days.

Was comptemplating as to just filling a glass of this warm nector and locking the shed door and not coming out until the barrel was empty.

I would check how much pressure is in the fermenter, sounds like you have a heap of pressure in there. The only problem with this is that if it blocks you might get some explosive type event.

First thing I would do is check if the airlock is the problem.

Airlocks are working well the Morgans is giving off very slow bubbles and the Coopers is stationary. (this fermentor doesn't seal well) When taking samples for SG readings the fluid moves back wards in the airlocks so they are not blocked.

Just a weird brew I guess.

A little food grade lube can help to seal a leaky fermenter, I have a Brewcraft fermenter that was a bi*ch to get to seal. A little food grade lube and the the lid glides on now. I think what was happening was the o-ring was scrunching up when you screwed the lid down too tight, thus if you overtightened it it would be worse.

short answer:

means nothing, ignore it. do you normally try and keep your temperature down when brewing or is this the first time you've done it?

if so, as the beer is cooler, more co2 will stay in suspension.

dont worry about the seal on the carboy's. not important at all. if its that big a deal, get rid of the lids and use gladwrap instead.

Hi Thanks for the info.

I've been reading the forum and try to follow the advise given.

Tried the glad wrap once on a stronger version of the coopers due to the volitility of the brew and amount of gas it produced it blew the glad wrap away. It was a great beer it was nicknamed "mud" 8.8% alcohol.

If the airlock is still going it doesn't sound finished, then the SG is stagnant... at 10 days you would expect it to be finished but there would be no harm it letting it go another 4-5 days, you have positive pressure as they are gassing off so there is not much risk of infection.
Temps are best around 20 if you can or less.
Have a beer and wait.

I checked it again and bottled this afternoon. The other brew I kegged.

I had an old fridge in the shed so from advice from another subject I have cleaned it out and have made a brewing cabinate. Can fit in two fermentors. So the next brew will be at a constant temp.

Thanks again.

If the airlock is still going it doesn't sound finished, then the SG is stagnant... at 10 days you would expect it to be finished but there would be no harm it letting it go another 4-5 days, you have positive pressure as they are gassing off so there is not much risk of infection.
Temps are best around 20 if you can or less.
Have a beer and wait.

The airlock bubbling means NOTHING

neither does the amount of time its been brewing for.

the only way to be sure that your beer has finished fermenting is by using a hydrometer/refractometer and taking constant readings over the course of a few days.

and even that method needs some common sense. obviously if your brew has gotten too cold the yeast may have dropped out, or if you are using a yeast that is renowned for running out of puff and needs a rousing.

Stable SG usually means completed fermentation. The readings you're getting look pretty final, given the amounts of fermentables, to me. Ten days on US-05 at that temperature looks pretty done in my experience.

Bubbling in primary can continue a while owing to carbon dioxide and others coming out of solution.

Looks like you're ready for secondary/bottling/kegging.

Cheers - Fermented.

Bubbling airlock means positive pressure... and his SG is stable.....
What is the harm in waiting longer?

If he's having trouble maintaining fermentation temps with ice, water and fans, why leave it longer than needed? done is done, and leaving it just means more work maintaining temps, and a pita. If it was in a controlled fridge, maybe, then it's just set and forget.....

But in this case, if he waits for airlock activity to cease, he'll probably have a long wait...the unstable temperature, as has already been stated by others, means that co2 will be coming out of solution for some time. It could bubble on for days, even though fermentation has stopped.

Latest posts

Back