Installing An Outside Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I need to move the tap closer to where I brew , I aM oK with copper but the water piping I want to cut into is black plastic with some sort of plastic compression fittings not brass .

i have been unable to find a supplier

has anyone had any experience with this stuff .

I really want the tap closer to where I brew it is invaluable

Pumpy :)

plastic_water_pipes.JPG

Is there a name (brand) written on the pipe, or can you show a fitting like a tee or similar.

Cheers

Nat

Rehau (sp?) uses a plastic pipe - but I think that uses a proprietory compression fitting - not the usual ones you can get from Bunnings.

There are also the connectors for PVC (usually larger diameter stuff) that you connect to a device that fuses the connector, elbow etc to the pipe - sorry I don't know the brand. I could find out if you are interested though

Thats it Goat looks like it needs a special bit of kit to join it

The picture isn't clear but it looks like standard 1" poly.

Can you show a picture of an existing fitting? A T or elbow?

The high pressure style which must be used for hooking to any town water supply (which is often higher pressure than rural farm runs) that I have seen has a blue line down it. These runs need firrings that will take higher pressures.

If you take a picture of it and go to any rural plumbing supplier, they will have fittings to plug and play. Make sure in your picture, you include a close up of the pipe with a ruler next to it for scale.

The picture isn't clear but it looks like standard 1" poly.

Can you show a picture of an existing fitting? A T or elbow?

The high pressure style which must be used for hooking to any town water supply (which is often higher pressure than rural farm runs) that I have seen has a blue line down it. These runs need firrings that will take higher pressures.

If you take a picture of it and go to any rural plumbing supplier, they will have fittings to plug and play. Make sure in your picture, you include a close up of the pipe with a ruler next to it for scale.

good idea POL there is a pic of a T a bit further up

Between me starting to reply and actually replying, there was a delay and you have posted more pictures that show it is nothing like 1" poly, so ignore that last post of mine.

Rehau is sold at Tradelink and Pex is sold at Plumbing Plus stores in Sydney.
They are the same. You will need a unique tool to alter this piping system.
If i was your local plumber i would do it for a few coldies, but im not.
So knowing the guys that work at these stores, im sure (for a few of your best) they would lend you the hire tool and sell the pipe and fittings to you.

Hope it helps,

Nat

Rehau is sold at Tradelink and Pex is sold at Plumbing Plus stores in Sydney.
They are the same. You will need a unique tool to alter this piping system.
If i was your local plumber i would do it for a few coldies, but im not.
So knowing the guys that work at these stores, im sure (for a few of your best) they would lend you the hire tool and sell the pipe and fittings to you.

Hope it helps,

Nat

I am starting to understand what is need Nat , I have a couple of plumber contacts , not sure if they are so hi tech but , I dont give up easily , the location of a external tap next to where I mash will be invaluable to me .

Thanks

Geez, get a plumber, that's water pipe in the bloody ceiling cavity,yes?

Pumpy,

how far do you need the beer line to go? You will need to insulate the line really well otherwise you will get warm beer out of the tap. Are you saying you want to use current water pipes for your beer or you want to install a new pipe for the beer?

Alternatively you could run the line to a miracle box like set up where ever you brew??

Pok

Me thinks Pumpy wants to setup another water tap and link of the existing pipework in his ceiling.

I don't think he wants to run a beer line through the house. Although that does seem like a damn good idea, maybe an outlet in every room.

Hmmmmmmm

Brownie

hahaha I think when one does not even think of water when talking about taps one has drunk a little too much :p

but a beer tap outside would be a good idea aswell :D

food for thought....

Pok

Geez, get a plumber, that's water pipe in the bloody ceiling cavity,yes?

I just wanted to put in a line down the inside of the wall to connect outside but it is looking a bit difficult so may have to resort to a plumber with the gear .

Pumpy ; Try tradelink , they should lend /hire you the crimping tool. (take a few cold samples in around 15:30 slip home do the job and drop the tool back with a couple more coldies ) and sell you a "T" & a few meters of pipe, These new pipes and compression fittings are the way to go. fully replumb an existing house in about 3 hrs not the full day it took with copper..

:beer:

Back