Ingredient additive advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junker2017

Reaction score
Morning all, i am looking to start my first mead brew and had some questions about ingredient profiles. Basically I want to use whole spices (cardamon pods, vanilla beans etc.), however I'm familiar that with some spices and additives they can become overwhelming especially when steeped over a long period of time.

One of the ingredients im thinking of using was vanilla beans however I would rather add a full pod and bruise slightly so it can be removed at a point in time without decanting (tied to fishing line and a bouy-float device). Probably the best question is is there any harm to having the ingredients kept in a stainless-steel contraption inside the carboy as its maturing?

Looking forward to your replies.

normally id add in the secondary or after fermentation has finished. you can chuck them i a mesh bag with a string to remove or you can just taste until its just a touch too much and then package and its not a worry as it will fade back over time.
with vanilla beans you need to split them so that the seeds are in contact with the liquid. personally if i was to use it again id use this Queen Madagascan Vanilla Bean Paste 50g - Woolworths
its so much easier also it will settle out so then you just have to rack off it.

Thanks for that I'll have a look today as I'll be out grocery shopping anyways. :)

I agree with Barls except for the paste. Beans are more controllable and the paste could deliver a lot in a very short time and quickly become too much

Thanks for that, essentially what I'm aiming for is a good flavour/bouquet and especially with some of the ingredients like vanilla bean and cardamom they can go from good to TOO MUCH very quickly (frangelico or Campari in nearly ANY drink).

Latest posts

Back