Information For All Brewers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If some I.T. nerd tells you how to do something but has never actually done it, remind self to ignore everything.

:lol: :lol:

While waiting for the wort to come to the boil,look away for even a second and it'll boil over.

Batz

...Mash in to Led Zepellin...or Sabbath...or Down...or C.O.C....or Pantera...or Alice in Chains..or Soundgarden...or Ac/Dc..etc

Always check the tap is closed.

Never leave boiling wort unattended. (3 times so far for me... I am an idiot)

Don't be afraid to try something new... garlic ale? Oh, yeah, I'll give that a try (hmmm. actually some flavours are best left to those with more adventurous tastebuds!)

Enjoy your beer - whatever method you use, you can always make a winner.

Taste your grains.

Taste your starter BEFORE you pitch (but do so in a sanitary way).

Buy some megaswill in bottles, pop the caps, and drop in 2-3 hop pellets or 1-2 whole flowers and recap. Do this for your entire hop inventory or get together with friends or members of your club to share their unique hop varieties. Give the bottles 2-3 days of cold storage, then get together with friends and smell/taste the results. Take copious notes. Use the most neutral beer you can find. This is invaluable for getting to know how hops differ in aroma and taste and will help you to formulate better recipes.

Split a batch of beer and ferment with as many different strains of yeast as you can find/afford. Also a good endeavour to undertake with friends. Take copious notes when tasting/smelling the results. Helps you to formulate better recipes and helps you to understand the huge impact yeast has on the beer.

Visit a couple of AG brewdays

It'll show you what it's all about

I'm still eternally grateful to SAH for inviting me round for a brewday - It definitly speed up my leap into the dark side

Seeing other people's setups and procedures is a great eye opener and food for thought

Cheers

Never leave boiling wort unattended.

Those cheap cameras you can get from DSE are great for monitoring a boiling wort if you must go back in the house. At least you can setup a portable TV where you are to keep an eye on it. They even have a microphone so you can hear the liquid running onto the burner underneath!
camera.jpg

Those cheap cameras you can get from DSE are great for monitoring a boiling wort if you must go back in the house. At least you can setup a portable TV where you are to keep an eye on it. They even have a microphone so you can hear the liquid running onto the burner underneath!
View attachment 22805

:lol: Thats hilarious!!! Do you have that set up?

...Mash in to Led Zepellin...or Sabbath...or Down...or C.O.C....or Pantera...or Alice in Chains..or Soundgarden...or Ac/Dc..etc

I'm coming to your place next mash!

Perhaps relevant to many people would be the advice:

"Don't tell the missus how much you're spending on your hobby"

Untill you work out how much you would have spent on commercial beers, then its safe to let them know how much you saved...

<dons flame retardant suit>

Don't listen to the AG elitists :)

</dons flame retardant suit>

And don't listen to us AG plebs either !

My advice, have at least three old towels on hand just in case of spills (or you forget to shut all taps .. you just can't imagine how stupid a piece of advice that is .... that is until you do it.

The more you brew, the more you get to drink... :icon_cheers:

Sanitisation is next to Godliness.

That's exactly right ! When SWAMBO notices some new gadget or piece of equipment, your automatic response should be...

"Ahhh, that old thing... it's been in the cupboard for yonks...completly forgot that I even had it. In fact it's lucky, because I was thinking about buying one... until I remembered I had that one !
Saved some money there..."

Cheers,

K

You can't be too thorough when sanitizing.

Always pitch plenty of yeast.

If you keg, always have at least two filled kegs on standby.

Oh, and never piss into the wind.

Always ask yourself "what specific purpose does this ingredient perform in this beer? What does it contribute? Is there a better option?" - and if you can't answer the first part of that question, don't use it.

Definitely on that one.

Remember to always enjoy yourself, even when things go pear shaped on the day- the odds are it will still turn out to be a good beer. You're doing this for fun, after all!

Having people over for brewdays is always entertaining. Don't get too distracted, though, I almost had a boilover because I was distracted by chatting.

You can never have too many types of hops in your freezer.

Latest posts

Back