Info On This Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbonator

Reaction score
It comes in 500gm vac sealed packs.

I know it works, but I'm afer specific info if anyone knows on a high technical level please, like the difference between it and the stuff you get in the 7gm sachets in the brew packs at BigW.

PC281818__Large_.JPG

If you really want Mauri yeast then its probably the 514 ale strain you're looking for. I understand it's supposedly the same stuff as whats under most tins of goop.

It comes in 500gm vac sealed packs.

I know it works, but I'm afer specific info if anyone knows on a high technical level please, like the difference between it and the stuff you get in the 7gm sachets in the brew packs at BigW.

View attachment 23508
not an expert in wine or beer by any means but most ale yeasts are saccharomyces cerevisiae also wine yeasts fall into that category as well, UCD in a yeast strain is University of California Davis which is where a lot of wine yeasts have been isolated the 522 is just the number it was given by them. Sort of like Weihenstephan 68 (WY3068) is a wheat beer yeast that was isolated at Weihenstephan in Germany.

As to whether it works well in a beer is up to you, Kook has already pointed out the 514 ale strain that is more common but this may work well in a saison type beer. The only way to really see how it works in a beer is to split ferment a batch of wort using something neutral like Wy1056 as a reference but under the same conditions and then taste them afterwards. Aside from that do you have any of this at the moment? I would be interested in getting some for next years red wine making fun, looks like it would go well with Shiraz.

Back