Infection In Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninja

Reaction score
I bottled a golden ale a few weeks ago and have noticed that there is a small layer of crap at the water level inside the bottles. It is very delicate and will wash away from the bottle from the tiniest of distubances, but will sort of stick together in chunks.
A search suggested a micro-derm infection but the info i found on that said the taste would be awful. A taste last night was great.

So is there anyway of determining what this is? Is there even another option besides micro-derm?
How harmful are these possible infections? ;)

There are so many different types of infections it would be hard to say what type it is.

My suggestion is that if it taste great now, throw it in the fridge as this will slow down any infection and drink up. I wouldn't bet on it staying great for a long time

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

I also had the same thin "layer of crap" at water level inside my bottles of golden ale (funnily enough) that worried me at first and had me regretting my tap water rinsing techniques.

But then I had the same tasting experience as you and there's no sign of the crap when poured so I'm at peace with myself now.

Mine is only a kit with added hops which I tossed in unfiltered so wondering if that has something to do with it (although no other clarity issues). The crap is not a complete covering, just patches of that don't seem to be growing, so let's just hope and pray it's nothing serious.

Got a small line of 'crap' in my bottles after dry hopping a pale ale too. Tastes good though so no problem.

thanks for the replies, will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back