Infection Alert - Should I Chuck It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RE saving beers: in my experience, good flavours fade over time, but any off flavours stick out like a sore thumb no matter what...go figure!

aint that the truth.

Mind you, if its drunk quick it should be OK. All he needs is a visit from butters and that will solve the problem, the bottles will be drained quick as :ph34r:

Why not "dry hose" it with some braided hose? That should mask the infection. :icon_vomit:

Warren -

Please don't misquote T.D.

As above, i quoted it is infected, but maybe worth trying to rescue. You then after dismissing my advice go on to say you agree with Darren & not to chuck it B)

cheers Ross

I was referring to your comment that you know people who have successfully salvaged acetobacter-infected brews by racking the beer fron under the scum on the surface. Doing this will make no difference to how successful you are at salvaging the brew.

some brewers have succesfully siphoned off the brew below the film without any apparent problems

Righto, Ill price a case of PET's on the weekend and if they are reasonably priced and give bottling a go. F&ked if Im putting this into glass though.

Just don't put it at the back of the cupboard thinking it will improve. The opposite will be the case. As soon as its carbed, drink it like there's no tomorrow! :beerbang:

Why not "dry hose" it with some braided hose? That should mask the infection. :icon_vomit:

Warren -

Would you cut the hose into little bits and go the "hose pellets" option, or the more romantic alternative of "whole hose"?

Would you cut the hose into little bits and go the "hose pellets" option, or the more romantic alternative of "whole hose"?

Or maybe some iso-hose extract? I'm sure there's a retailer who has some. :super:

Warren -

Or maybe some iso-hose extract? I'm sure there's a retailer who has some. :super:

Warren -

why cant you just steep the hose and make some hose tea and pour in the fermenter instead of spending more money on iso hose

edit: or make another batch with a different infection and blend the 2 because they should cancel each other then :ph34r:

My wife's adamant we throw it out. Now I just have to work out a way to tell her that you guys might know more about this subject than her :rolleyes:

What, she doesn't like the idea of beer with white scum growing on top??? :lol:

quick trip to the home brew shop, rack the beer....

" no, it's not the off 1. I pitched a new brew."

and hope like heck she beleives you :eek:

Take home answer, never look at the top of your brew. Taste it, if its ok then bottle.

I did this with a barleywine which had maggots living in the high-krausen line. I didnt notice til time to clean the fermenter. Funnily enough it scored quite well in HB comps for two years in succession.

cheers

Darren

I beg to differ

beer.jpg

I'd risk the yeast infection.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Ross made a similar statement that you can rack the beer from under the scum on top and successfully avoid the infection. This is totally wrong - you are seeing evidence of the infection on top because that's where the oxygen is - its just an indicator - the bacteria will be mixed thoroughly through the entire volume of beer, no question about it. Racking will do nothing, the scum will just come back.

Make sure you say what picture you are referring to. Mould is not bacteria and grows a connected mycelial mat or network of filaments and produces spores. Unless you chop it up or aggressively stir the buggary out of it it will not be throughout the entire beer. A gentle racking will pull the liquid out from under it.

Mycelium is not heat tolerant so if its not a fermented product as mentioned before you can reboil the wort if you are worried as the heat will kill any mycelial cells.

Again if anyone reads a Mycotoxin and Food Safety book you will learn all the moulds (and bacteria, dead insects, mice and vermin, and bits of miscellaneous human body parts -- mistakes happen :D) that are in all the breads, processed foods, and canned and fermented products, including commercial beers that you are buying and drinking or eating right now today. I hate to burst anyones bubble but its not a pristine world or pristine environment, these organisms outnumber us greatly and only a few are dangerous in any way.

Again I think you are talking about an Acetobacter picture posted earlier while everyone recently have been talking about a Mould infection. So wires are crossed.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

iF you drink it now and get crook as a dog your gonna have to listed to wifey;- '' i told you to chuck that out you idiot!!", is it really worth risking that?

iF you drink it now and get crook as a dog your gonna have to listed to wifey;- '' i told you to chuck that out you idiot!!", is it really worth risking that?

all right. You win. :(

Latest posts

Back