India Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
In October I'm doing a "bucket list" trip to India, backpacking around for a month with a buddy - travelling on trains with chooks and goats, eating divine curries and hopefully not getting Delhi Belly, fondling plump amber skinned................ yes I am well aware that Indian girls are not promiscuous at all and that only leaves AIDS infested working girls so no thanks B) - tallies of 7%ABV for a dollar - gazing on the deserts of Deccan, swanning down the palm fringed waterways of Kerala etc etc. You get the idea.

Anyone done the Indian backpacker thing and any hints????? :) :)

My sister lived there for 2 years, plenty of my friends have travelled throughout india too! (but I havent been....yet!)

Good onya for going there though!!! Here's a few tidbits of info from another forum I visit on that I read recently... what could be some useful tips...hopefully it helps:

I have traveled in India a bit alone (mostly in really specific places though -- Goa, Delhi, Pune, Dharamshala, Manali -- so the south could be different) and found it to be a little intimidating sometimes but mostly totally fine as long as you stay really aware of whats going on around you. What I mean is be discerning and sensible.

The only horror stories I personally know of involve dark, isolated beaches or roads -- I know of two women who got mugged. And in Goa unfortunately rape is not unheard of on the beaches.

The biggest issue will probably be paying too much for everything -- rickshaws, accomodation, clothing etc and being constantly approached to buy things. Being told you are soooo beautiful, such a pretty lady to get you to come and buy things in their store wears thing pretty quickly!

Also remember you don't have to answer everyone who asks you where you are from, where you are going, what you are looking for. Sometimes they get annoyed when you ignore them, telling you how rude you are... it might be a little rude but if you stop and talk to every friendly Indian wanting to talk to you or sell you something you wont have much time to do anything else.

I really learnt to say no in India. Which incidentally many Indians don't like to say... its always later, or yes-yes... so if you really need information ask the same thing from many angles, and with specific details to get a clear picture.

For example... If you want a sleeper bus with beds in it -- something you have already established with the sales person-- but leaving at a later time dont be surprised to have this series of questions:
Is there a later sleeper bus?
yes ma'am
What time is it leaving?
11pm ma'am
What time does it arrive?
10am ma'am
Leaving from where?
from xyz bus stop
Is it the same type -- AC? Sleeper?
yes ma'am
Like this one? Exactly like this one?
yes same bus
Or is it seating?
oh yes- yes seating
Oh it is seating... not sleeper!
yes yes seating
So it is not exactly the same?
reclining seating ma'am
Oh reclining seating!
almost the same, very good for sleeping, seats reclining very far
Oh almost the same! So is there a sleeper-sleeper bus, with beds later?
no only the 9pm bus
Ok thank you very much then I will book a place on the the 9pm bus.

...... Note that the assertion that its the same kind of bus isn't a lie -- it comes from not wanting to disappoint... and that sometimes to the Indian almost the same is the same.

I would suggest not admitting you are traveling alone -- I usually say my husband is staying with me, meeting me at the bus/train station, coming soon etc. I found that the Indians understand that much more than trying to explain why you are single, traveling alone etc. I once spent an hour on a long train journey explaining why, at the age of 32, I wasn't married. Not fun. After that the family in my carriage just looked at me as if I was very strange and rather pitiful.

I'll be in Pushkar (for the first time - wooo!) from the 20th Jan. I have heard its really amazing and beautiful there. I'll be going alone and have no worries about it at all now that I know my way around a little.

Generally the Indians are friendly and curious, more annoying than intimidating or dangerous. Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

more

Here's a top 10 tip list I wrote for some friends a few months ago:

1) Indian Tea (AKA masala chai or just chai) is your friend. Drink it as much as humanly possible. Especially on trains.

2) Rishikesh, Pushkar and Varanassi are "dry" cities alcohol wise. You can still get booze at restaurants sometimes, but make sure you check the price first, cause otherwise you might be paying more than you would in Australia.

3) If you don't already have a hotel booked in a new town, rickshaw and taxi drivers at a train/bus station are a good source of information. Tell them your budget and they'll be able to offer you something.

4) The rickshaw and taxi drivers at train stations often work on a commission basis with local hotels so they'll try to push these places on you. If you already have a place in mind, just tell them you have a booking there regardless whether it's true or not and they'll leave you alone.

5) Beggers/holy men/gypsies on the street have a trick where they try to give you something (for example, a flower) or tie something around your hand and if you agree they'll end up demanding a couple of hundred ruppies from you and will not leave you alone till you hand over the cash. Generally keep an eye out for randoms approaching you in the street, they usually want something from you.

6) India involves alot of fairly determined people trying to sell you shit, get you in their taxi, buy their suit, marry their daughter, etc. The best way to make these people leave you alone is to smile, close your eyes briefly and shake your head vaguely from side to side Indian style. Trust me. Otherwise a stern "Ney" (No in Hindi) might help. (not so applicable in the South).

7) Indians tend to say "Yes" to whatever question you ask them. Try to not ask leading questions - for example don't ask "Is the bus station this way?", instead say "Which way is the bus station?"

8 ) If you need to find out something important (for example, if you're on the right train) ask more than one person, cause people give misleading information all the time. We work on stats, if 2 out of 3 people say the same thing, we assume it's true.

9) Haggling is cool as long as the price is not written down anywhere. A good method is to ask for half of what the guy is offering you, see what he says, debate among yourselves, start walking away and then watch the price come down.

10) You're probably gonna get sick when you're in India. Almost everyone does regardless of how careful they are. Good idea is to have some anti gastro pills with you at all times cause you never know when the squirts will strike. There's a very good herbal one you can buy here called Bael Fruit by Himalaya - about $2 for a bottle and it seriously works.

If you're in Rishikesh it's not too difficult to get to Parvati Valley, about 12 hours or so by bus - which is not that much by Indian standards. If you do go there, be prepared for a sea of chillum smoking Israelis and try out some of the villages around Kasol (Tosh, Khir Ganga, and others).

Pushkar is a great place, try to make it up the temple on the top of the hill for sunrise, it's well worth it. If you can find a little guesthouse called Raj Guru somewhere in the backstreets you won't be disappointed, it's run by a sweet old man who is amazing for a conversation and will probably even make you breakfast.

If you haven't found it yet, one of the best India resources out there is Indiamike.com.

Enjoy!

Enjoy!!!

Anyone wanna come ?? B) B) B)
You lucky *******. I'd like to be there in a couple of weeks to get in on a bit of world cup action. Unfortunatly swmbo said no. something about buying another house and blah blah blah. you know how it is.

Have a great time.

What a great super duper post Phoney!
I`m in BribieG :D

U lucky basterds. Lol

Anyway, little tidbits of advice, that long post above was seriously good advice.
You will indeed hear Yes a lot because they tend to regard a close enough compromise as pretty darn acceptable. Too much time on their hands to take long ways around things, you might not have that much so be very specific about what you want and be skeptical in accepting a general answer.
About ppl trying to sell you shit on the streets etc, just don't look at them. It will discourage them. Waving them off politely with your hands without making too much eye contact works too. A little rude but otherwise you will spend forever fending them off, especially in old cities.
With water, try to stick to decent bottled water but filtered, boiled & cooled water is as good. Try to not eat raw foods for a few weeks there. Get used to the bugs first. Insist on hot cooked food until your system adjusts. fried can be good in that regards except for cheap vendor using rotten veggies, so buy your fried where you feel more certain. Eating where the locals seem to be eating is not a bad idea as far as the place seems alright to you too. South Indian eateries are usually run very clean, rather strictly clean by tradition than anything else, so dosa, idli, sambar, vada focussing restaurant is rather safeish. Again, let your system adjust b4 you go trying more :)

Again, with rickshaws, taxis n all, look it up beforehand where you want to go and don't feel shy about asking someone a out the best way to get there before hailin your rickshaw/taxi. Ppl's directions can be hard to wrap your head around sometime, iftey tell you it's past 2 bridges/flyovers and red lights, well, those are their way of punctuating the route. Gol chakkar (roundabout), red lights, flyovers, hills are all route punctuations. And they will use slightly different terms for them everywhere you go.
Personal space on public transport can be an issue, usually they kinda understand the issue foreigners have with that and give you space so don't step back on taking reasonable space or you will lose it, lol. Especially on trains.
Not a bad idea to buy a light decent chain to shackle your luggage to something fixed on trains and buses etc. It's easy to fall asleep on long journeys and that's exactly what the locals do too. And they lock their bags.
If you don't intend to be unapproachable, then ditch the sunnies when not required. It can make a difference. It can be quite dry up north and humid down south so be prepared.

And yeah, common sense :)

Gl there bribie, btw, I heard the banjos play ;)

Yes, serious. I did Hippy 101 back in the 70s with a few years around Turkey, North Africa etc - worked in a bar in a brothel in Turkey, milked cows in Israel, Walked across Crete with only a loaf of bread and some olives ... I was heading for India on the Hippy trail but didn't get any further than the border between Turkey and Iran, ran out of money and ended up back in Athens where I bankrolled myself again working as a labourer in the Athens Pepsi Cola factory but then I met ex-SWMBO and never got to India :(

Thanks for the hints so far - Haysie would be great as I bet he's a bullet proof haggler and he could pose as my son - Asians really love that father / son relationship thing and would go out of their way to be helpful and not hassle :lol: However you do realise that we would have to walk around arm in arm :p

I'm very lucky to have a vedic cafe, where the Indian taxi drivers eat, a block away from my work so I'm already training my gut with Dhosa, Sambal, etc etc. Actually the entire time I was in the Middle East and North Africa I never got even a hint of the runs and I put it down to only eating where the locals eat. Which would be harder nowadays as they probably have Maccas etc nowadays :angry:
Copious doses of Efes Pilsen, Stellar (Tunisia) and Bira Goldstar also assisted.

3 of the places i would visit if i was going there;

1: Obviously
indian1.gif

2: Post Modernist Stuff, the lotus flower... easy to see some inspiration in this one (maybe even a little rip-off of Utzon and his orange peels)
bwns_4675-0.jpg

3: Chandigarh Secretariat by LeCorbusier... one of the most significant modernist buildings outside europe
Secretariat.jpg

From what i read recently, the top places westerners are most likely to get sick in order of incidence are:

Egypt
Morocco
India
Thailand
Indonesia

If you have been able to survive the middle east (Turkey isn't supposed to be all that good either from memory) i think you will be alright. As noted by PF, let your body acclimatise to the local bacteria and all will be well. Just make sure you have the immodium on hand, gatorade powder and also look at getting some giardia medication in the case you do get a stomach upset. You simply pop a single tablet if you did contract it and happy days.

My doc believed i may have contracted that when traveling to Thailand a few years back. Suffice to say the last 5 days i spent in bangkok i mapped out my daily plan marking everywhere i knew of a toilet. :lol: When i got back i was intermittently unwell over the space of 2 weeks until i popped the meds then came good shortly after.

Note to anyone Traveling to Thailand: 'wet ones' are your friend. :D

I spent 6 months in Indian when I was 21.

I loved it, hated it. LOL!

It's an amazing place, apparently it has changed quite alot since I have being there.

I did everything third class, trains, buses. Always travelled on the top of the buses that was quite fun.

I went to:

Delhi
Agra - Taj Mahal
Rajasthan - Jaipur, Jodhpur, Pushka(Ajmer)
spent a lot of time in Rajasthan loved it, the colours are amazing.
I went to Rajasthan in Summer (what a mistake LOL)
Took of to the Indian Himalayas.
Manali, Sikkim, Dharamsala, Kulu

back down to Delhi

then onto Varanassi

Goa, Kerala

It was a blast.

Have a bang lassi if you are game.

I lived on Thali's YUMMMY! You can get a great pizza in India.

Oh and Nepal.

Dont use toilet paper, there toilets dont like it.

Oh I recommend a swim in the ganges I did it on my 22nd birthday, cured my bang lassi hang over. Sea snales on the bottom.

Haha
I remember the toilets in Turkey and Middle East, and you know what when I got back to so called civilisation I felt really dirty using toilet paper again.
<unnecessary information> even today I have a pack of baby wipes in the small room </end>

Method:

squat.jpg

Squat and aim
This pic is obviously a yuppie model, normally there's a tap on your left at almost floor level with a can under it (beetroot can or something)
Using LEFT hand wash your nether regions squeaky clean
And again

Fresh as. B)

Never even think about using left hand for eating in public. :angry:

I loved it, hated it. LOL!

funny you should say that Katie, i spent 5 weeks there, and i loved it but also hated it! Awsome country, with so many interesting things to see and experience. the people are amazing and live in a hugely complex society. the poverty is incredible and hugely confronting, but everyone is happy

Immerse yourself and you ill be rewarded..... but not with good beer.... haha! no IPA's to be found!

I hope you like cricket, as soon as anyone found out we were aussie, all they wanted to do was talk about cricket

jimmy

For me the scale of India is just totally dazzling- it's got to be one of the most diverse, complicated, and sensorially overwhelming countries. It's like an entire world in minature.

I hope you like cricket, as soon as anyone found out we were aussie, all they wanted to do was talk about cricket

I met an Indian guy from work yesterday, he played cricket in India in the 70s against Gavaskar, Bedi and most of the Indian test side.

Then in the taxi home the Indian cab driver just wanted to talk about how he thinks Sachin will come to Australia for one last hurrah.

On topic, that sounds like a great trip. I am very jealous. A mate of mine did a couple of months there recently. Sounded like an amazing place to visit.

Yes I'm getting the feeling that 4 weeks just isn't going to do it justice - looking at stretching it to 6 weeks. However I'm having a problem with my proposed travelling companion - he's talking about staying in resorts and being served bacon and eggs for breakfast and travelling first class on trains. I may have misjudged badly here and have to take Haysie up on his offer instead, although Katie would be good - I could wear dark glasses and carry a white cane and pose as her dad - they'd be all over us like a rash :D

I dont do pigs n eggs.never. I dont do flashy motels. I dont walk arm in arm with same sex. After that.............look out :D :p :lol:

Just found this thread. Are you still going Bribie?

I'd avoid the big cities as much as possible.

We only visited the North the 3 things I loved were

1 - Visiting Ladakh - We flew into Leh then went back overland through Shimla and Manali. Absolutely beautiful. White water rafting. Some great treks or just day walks
2 - Rajastan. If you can get as far as Jaisalmer it's worth it. (try and do an overnight "camel safari")
3 - The Taj

If I were you I'd take my time and try and see less but really enjoy it.

The communist state of Kerala in the south would be my pick. Was there last October, was sweeeeeeet. Namely cruising the backwaters, also the tourisy (in a cool, hippy way) clifftop town of Varkala. It will be the tail end of the monsoon in October, which is pretty amazing.
Don't worry too much if you don't see beer on the menu - licencing is tough, but a shop owner will always be able to source a coldie. Just dont be surprised if it turns up wrapped in newspaper and they leave it hidden under a table. Or, amusingly common, they servie it to you in a tea-pot and tea cups (to avoid police seeing it) and charge you for "special tea' on he bill at the end.

Avoid Mumbai - out of all the places I have been around the world Mumbai sucks the most.

Back