India Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one silo. I'm gonna go see a lot of India I haven't someday...

Places.... I'd say, if ur a little brave, go see Uttar Pradesh. It was the most populous state in India before being split up, that's where the river Ganga flows through. I was in Kanpur a few years ago, it's like time had stopped there. You can't find a spot of bitumen that isn't stained red from paan spitting. The little cheap eating places still serve you 20 varieties of dishes made out of potato!!! A little shop on the corner 'thaggu ki kulfi' still doles out kulfi aka Indian milk ice cream by the most frugal measure and it's worth it :) there is an entire main road through town that is carpeted with gun shops.

A warning though, you are entering the non touristy parts of India, so be prepared for unusual behaviour. There's 4-5 star hotels in town though.

These are the kind of cities that the stories in our books used to be based in. It's a delight to see them in that way even now.

gday bribie,

a little off topic but i noticed you did Tunisia, i was there in '94 and made it to El Djem, Carthage and into the Sahara among others, where did you get to ?

the old walled city (Tunis) got a bit hairy at one stage, you get a look in there ?

Yard

I did Newcastle and Sydney instead :lol: :lol: Sydney was great, huge dirty overcrowded hot city teeming with Asians and traffic, crowded trains and delightful curries. :p
Couple of health problems and I had to stay closer to home unfortunately as a relapse could have got me in real strife :angry:

Edit: I loved Tunisia, went to Carthage and the old walled city as well. It would have to be the most Western country in North Africa. After fleeing Algeria we ended up in a lovely little border town by the sea, Tabarka. In those days it was just a traditional little city with no mega resorts etc. On the corner near our cheap hotel was what looked like a typical Aussie Pub. I walked in. It WAS a typical pub with guys drinking Stella beer, bar snacks etc. No not a tourist pub. Just a pub. Unbelievable.

ps Stella NOT Artois

stella_tunis.jpeg

The little cheap eating places still serve you 20 varieties of dishes made out of potato!!!

It wasn't until our fourth day in India that we realised that we hadn't eaten any meat (not a conscious decision, we just didn't think of it) The vegetarian dishes are so tasty.

It wasn't until our fourth day in India that we realised that we hadn't eaten any meat (not a conscious decision, we just didn't think of it) The vegetarian dishes are so tasty.

hehe... boiling/steaming is reserved for rice, and even then, they'd toss it in a wok/kadai with stuff to make a biryani :)

Boiled/steamed food is awful, I fail to understand how the English (Basically, anyplace that inherited English cooking/food habits) could not develop a culture of shallow frying/sauteeing food when the boiled crap is so darn awful. Seeing people eat mashed potatoes for a meal makes me shudder. And to top that, they buy the mash pre-made - frozen, powdered.. GROSS!!! How can you call a serve of mashed potatoes, steamed beans and 'maybe' boiled pasta a meal!!! No wonder meat is so over rated in english influenced cooking.

PS: Glad you had fun, I've still got a big soft spot for the old country.

Edit: I loved Tunisia, went to Carthage and the old walled city as well. It would have to be the most Western country in North Africa. After fleeing Algeria we ended up in a lovely little border town by the sea, Tabarka. In those days it was just a traditional little city with no mega resorts etc. On the corner near our cheap hotel was what looked like a typical Aussie Pub. I walked in. It WAS a typical pub with guys drinking Stella beer, bar snacks etc. No not a tourist pub. Just a pub. Unbelievable.

we were based in Sousse and had a bit of time in Sidi Bou Said (beautiful place :) ) also made it out to Matmata where Star Wars was filmed, I would like to say that I had a beer where the famous bar scene was filmed but unfortunately there was no beer and it smelt of urine and rotting vegetation :lol:

in regards to the Aussie Pub in the middle of nowhere, are you sure you weren't giving the hash a bit of a nudge ;) :D

enjoy the India trip, I always wanted to visit Goa but never made it

Yard

Back